• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Refs: Conspiracy theory

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

People who believe the refs called a fair game last night prolly believe Pro Wrestling is a sport.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

It's one thing to make a bad call, but for the same officiating crew to call it one way and then two plays later not call it is unacceptable.

If there really was a conspiracy, wouldn't they have called it on Houston to make it look like they didn't have a bias? That was an easy makeup call that refs usually give.

Worse was that he threw the flag, then pocketed it.  Even Houston fans were stunned.  If you're gonna rig a fight, at least make it look like the punches land.

I won't debate the PI on USF.  Questionnable but close.

But there is one big difference between the 2 plays... catchable ball.  From the NCAA rule book Article 8 XV:

"A80 and B60 are attempting to catch a forward pass thrown toward A80’s position, which is beyond the neutral zone. The pass is high and ruled uncatchable. As the ball passes overhead, A80 pushes B60 in the chest.

RULING:

Not offensive pass interference"

If the UH receiver catches the ball (or even comes close to touching it), I believe the flag stands.  But since the ball was not catchable, the flag was picked up.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

I came to this conclusion in the game thread... The NBA (see SAvsMIA finals) does it all the time... Even the NCAAB(BE play) and NCAAWB does it (see USF women's NCAA game last year)... Why wouldn't the AAC do it? How many millions of dollars is riding on the success of the top three schools in the AAC? Remember we only have 3 years including this year to make an impact. I say if we go into this game 4-2 it's a different story but why would the AAC NOT try to have the refs lean to one side... They just leaned a little too hard last night. I'm fine with it although it may have cost us a bowl game.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

It's one thing to make a bad call, but for the same officiating crew to call it one way and then two plays later not call it is unacceptable.

If there really was a conspiracy, wouldn't they have called it on Houston to make it look like they didn't have a bias? That was an easy makeup call that refs usually give.

Worse was that he threw the flag, then pocketed it.  Even Houston fans were stunned.  If you're gonna rig a fight, at least make it look like the punches land.

I won't debate the PI on USF.  Questionnable but close.

But there is one big difference between the 2 plays... catchable ball.  From the NCAA rule book Article 8 XV:

"A80 and B60 are attempting to catch a forward pass thrown toward A80’s position, which is beyond the neutral zone. The pass is high and ruled uncatchable. As the ball passes overhead, A80 pushes B60 in the chest.

RULING:

Not offensive pass interference"

If the UH receiver catches the ball (or even comes close to touching it), I believe the flag stands.  But since the ball was not catchable, the flag was picked up.

You may be right, Coog.  I wasn't thinking that was a factor, and don't recall the pass being off, but could be.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

And it seemed more penalties called when we actually had a chance in the 4th.

Sure seemed that way to me, but most of them seemed like motion penalties which were valid. There's no question we have to work on discipline after that game. Did we merit all the calls? I think definitely no, but between missed tackles (nod, hm101) and getting used to White's lead, we have work to do.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I think I've seen that not set for a second penalty two times in the past decade. We had it called at least three times in the 4th quarter.

Awfully nitpicky from officials.

But also an easy fix. Shouldn't be something they can call if you just get set right and on time.