• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deja Vu, FSU??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

You must be out of your mind. The team we had then could compete and play with any team in the country. The team we have now clicking on all cylinders would be a 4-8 team.

I guess reading isn't one of your strong points.  I was merely posting some interesting parallels from the 2009 game v FSU.  I clearly said (to most able readers) that I am not calling for an upset.  I don't like our chances...but I've learned to rarely say "never" about this program.

I was at Tally for the game.  Fans were almost congenial, apologizing for the whipping we were about to take at the hands of their Noles, fresh off a blow out of #7 ranked BYU (AT BYU!).  They weren't sweating us at all. Then, Lejieste "pop heard 'round the world" hushed the crowd.

Again, I'm NOT saying this team is as good as the 2009 (who, by the way, lost the next 5 of 7, and limped into a Canadian bowl few cared about...not exactly untouchable legends).

But I did think some of the parallels were interesting...and that some fans might want to read something other than "woe is me, we're dead".

The parallels are not nearly what you're making them out to be.

• Upvote 1

Houston =/= FSU in any way shape or form. Neither does the team we have now come close to that 09 team.

*sigh*.  I wasn't comparing Houston to FSU or the 2013 Bulls to the 2009 Bulls. And Taggart isn't Leavitt.  I get it.

There are common circumstances that I find interesting, and made no prediction the results would be replicated.

Side note:  That FSU finished unranked, with a win over WVU in the Gator Bowl (finished 7-6, fired Bowden).  Our team that Bulls24 says could play with anyone in the country lost 5 of 7, including a 31-0 beating at Rutgers, a 41-14 thrashing by Pitt and a 31-10 dismantling by Miami.  I know it's great to embellish the past, but the 2009 likely doesn't beat FSU again in a rematch that year in Tally.  The stars aligned.  The team rose to the challenge.

All that said, see the parallels or don't...I just think it's cool to see a new QB on the road, against the odds, maybe repeat history a bit.

When I said that team could compete with anyone in the country I didn't mean they were so good that we were a top 10 team. On any given Saturday that team could compete/play with just about any team in the country when clicking on all cylinders. This team we have now playing at their absolute very best for an entire game wouldn't even be able to beat FAU.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

Man I'm delusional but even I don't get that high

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Let's be real, this is a Thursday night away game. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Houston =/= FSU in any way shape or form. Neither does the team we have now come close to that 09 team.

*sigh*.  I wasn't comparing Houston to FSU or the 2013 Bulls to the 2009 Bulls. And Taggart isn't Leavitt.  I get it.

There are common circumstances that I find interesting, and made no prediction the results would be replicated.

Side note:  That FSU finished unranked, with a win over WVU in the Gator Bowl (finished 7-6, fired Bowden).  Our team that Bulls24 says could play with anyone in the country lost 5 of 7, including a 31-0 beating at Rutgers, a 41-14 thrashing by Pitt and a 31-10 dismantling by Miami.  I know it's great to embellish the past, but the 2009 likely doesn't beat FSU again in a rematch that year in Tally.  The stars aligned.  The team rose to the challenge.

All that said, see the parallels or don't...I just think it's cool to see a new QB on the road, against the odds, maybe repeat history a bit.

When I said that team could compete with anyone in the country I didn't mean they were so good that we were a top 10 team. On any given Saturday that team could compete/play with just about any team in the country when clicking on all cylinders. This team we have now playing at their absolute very best for an entire game wouldn't even be able to beat FAU.

I don't want to argue, as we're on the same side.  Here are a few flaws in your post:

1.  We had NO OFFENSE, but played very well on D and ST, and managed to beat Cincy...a team MUCH better than FAU (and at 5-2, one of the better AAC teams).

2.  The parallels aren't what I'm making them out to be?  Not sure what I'm making them out to be, except interesting similarities. New QB, dogs on the road v teams of big road wins, strongest aspect of D is D-line.  Hard to argue ANY of that isn't true.  I never said it would equate to a similar outcome.  I just thought it was pretty cool. 

As a fan during our worst year ever, I find it interesting to compare/contrast.  We'll see how it all goes down...hope we show up, and while I don't see it happening, hope we DO replicate.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Man I'm delusional but even I don't get that high

:thumbsup:

Let's be real, this is a Thursday night away game. 

man, I'm glad you guys aren't playing or coaching our team.  But, I hope you enjoy the game...and that our team finally shows up on all facets of the game.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You must be out of your mind. The team we had then could compete and play with any team in the country. The team we have now clicking on all cylinders would be a 4-8 team.

We can still finish 4-8 and by no means have we ever clicked on all cylinders.

• Upvote 1

We can still finish 4-8 and by no means have we ever clicked on all cylinders.

We can also still finish 7-5. Neither will happen.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

This team we have now playing at their absolute very best for an entire game wouldn't even be able to beat FAU.

Yet they beat UC and UConn ... I'm not easily embarrassed by things USF fans say (well, except for youknowwho) but that's a ******* ridiculous statement.

• Upvote 1

This team we have now playing at their absolute very best for an entire game wouldn't even be able to beat FAU.

Yet they beat UC and UConn ... I'm not easily embarrassed by things USF fans say (well, except for youknowwho) but that's a ******* ridiculous statement.

Alright it's an exaggeration, but to be fair UConn probably isn't as good as FAU. And Cincy probably played the worst game they've played in 2 decades. I was talking about the "parallels" from 2009 to now. That our 2009 team playing their best could compete with just about anyone where that is not even close to the case with this team. I didn't mean it as a general statement.