• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Odom from the Tampa Bay Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

He did say he came here to "get thoughts from the fans and to interact more with our readers".  I think honest feedback in this case is appropriate.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477

I subscribed to the SPT for many years--decades--until I moved out of town. And enjoyed Greg's columns and blogs about our USF Bulls. I didn't pay the $12 there--though I would--because (a) they used up my free "views" in no time at all after the change was announced (every story, extension of story, set of comments counted as a separate view) and I hadn't realized that was happening, and then (B) it seemed as though there wasn't going to be much traffic there any longer from Bulls fans--which seems to be the case. I suppose it didn't help the TBT that the Bulls became so crappy at the same time--it is a lot more fun talking about a winning team that one of the worst in college FB.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I get that people don't want to pay $12 per month for access just to the blog.

What I don't get is the venom and anger some of the posters on here have.  TBT is a business, and they need to make money and make business decisions.   You aren't being forced to pay.  Don't pay, but to be angry is something I can't understand.  There isn't some Bill of Rights guaranteeing you free stuff.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

This whole world is gaining an entitlement attitude; times have changed.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Other online news venues use advertising for income. Myself, I'd rather suffer through ads then pay.  And I don't see any venom and anger on here, just some saying they won't pay to access news they can get elsewhere.  But then again, if some are angry that's their prerogative.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I get that people don't want to pay $12 per month for access just to the blog.

What I don't get is the venom and anger some of the posters on here have.  TBT is a business, and they need to make money and make business decisions.   You aren't being forced to pay.  Don't pay, but to be angry is something I can't understand.  There isn't some Bill of Rights guaranteeing you free stuff.

No one's angry. The Times made a decision to start charging. And bulls fans made a decision with their wallets not to pay. TBT loses readers. End of story.  Only question now is how long will their bulls forum stay afloat before going under. It will never again be the same. 

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  39

Thank you all for the feedback. As I said before, as always, we definitely appreciate your continued support of our coverage of USF athletics. Without you the readers, we wouldn't be here. 

Joey Knight and I look forward to continuing the excellent work that Greg did during his nine years on the beat and that includes the continuation of our popular USF Sports Bulletin Blog. Joey has three new stories on there this afternoon with more to come as basketball gets started up. And, as a reminder, if you click the links to stories or blog posts directly from our Twitter feeds, it is free and does NOT count toward your 15-page-per-month limit on TampaBay.com. 

Thanks again, everyone. If you have any questions about the team, please do not hesitate to ask: @TBTimes_Bulls and @ByJeffOdom.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

It is also worth pointing out that we have a new regime in charge of USF Football.  Greg used to post a number of stories after games because he would get interviews with the coach and assistants.  During the practice week he'd get similar access with various assistants.  I believe Coach T has clamped that down pretty tight, with very limited access to the head coach and virtually no access to assistants.  So that could be a large portion of the drop-off in coverage.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

It is also worth pointing out that we have a new regime in charge of USF Football.  Greg used to post a number of stories after games because he would get interviews with the coach and assistants.  During the practice week he'd get similar access with various assistants.  I believe Coach T has clamped that down pretty tight, with very limited access to the head coach and virtually no access to assistants.  So that could be a large portion of the drop-off in coverage.

My initial reaction to reading that is oooh that makes sense however it seems that TBO has actually been increasing their coverage. You could still be right though. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Thank you all for the feedback. As I said before, as always, we definitely appreciate your continued support of our coverage of USF athletics. Without you the readers, we wouldn't be here. 

Joey Knight and I look forward to continuing the excellent work that Greg did during his nine years on the beat and that includes the continuation of our popular USF Sports Bulletin Blog. Joey has three new stories on there this afternoon with more to come as basketball gets started up. And, as a reminder, if you click the links to stories or blog posts directly from our Twitter feeds, it is free and does NOT count toward your 15-page-per-month limit on TampaBay.com. 

Thanks again, everyone. If you have any questions about the team, please do not hesitate to ask: @TBTimes_Bulls and @ByJeffOdom.

I was not aware of this.  Thanks for letting us know.