• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Anyone else watch ESPN Recruiting Nation today? Anyone see that Oregon got a commit in Florida? That Oregon runs a type of offense seen in many high school that run a spread and targets players in that type offense? They don't go after players based on their ranking, they go after players that run in their type system and do it well. Is USF doing that? Or just signing everyone that says yes? Seems that its going to take years to retrain these players not familiar with this offense in high school. That seems like a liability to me. 

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Sample size is too small to make a determination.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Sample size is too small to make a determination.

Nickle every time I've heard that

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

It's sad our offense is dependent on an NFL caliber QB. There is no chance we will get one. Can't believe you guys are using the wait and see mentality with Taggart. That usually gets you no where especially if you've never been anywhere. Going to be a long 5 years.

What other realistic option is there?
Should have put the "just" wait and see, meaning there are great things to come. My bad bro.

I am not really sure what options we have other than just letting thing develop. Sometimes I get the impression that people around here think college football is like the NFL and the AD is like an NFL GM. We can't just go out and pick up new players on the waiver wire or trade for new players. There is zero ability to change your roster during the season other than maybe go to the intramural field and find a walk on.

The offense is not reliant on an NFL QB. It is reliant on a QB that doesn't have to be running for his life on every play. It also is important to have receivers that can catch the ball consistently when they are wide open.

For the team, it sure would be helpful if the punter helps out by not punting only 15 yards or 2 yards from our own end zone.

I don't think is a matter of waiting for Taggart to get guys in here that fit his system. I think it is a matter of the recruits either being better level talent and also physically getting stronger.

The offense isn't reliant on an "NFL QB". However it is reliant on a VERY GOOD college QB if you want your team to be very good. Anyone can go out there with 3 TE's take a snap (except maybe Matt Floyd) and hand the ball off.

We could be respectable with a very good offensive line and a very good defense with an average QB. But if we want to be a really good relevant (relevant to me is just outside top 25 rankings or in the rankings) team in college football in this style of offense we're going to have to have a very good QB. You can't hide a QB in passing situations in this offense. I don't see us getting the type of QB we need to be relevant anytime soon. Those types of QBs go to Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford etc.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

It's sad our offense is dependent on an NFL caliber QB. There is no chance we will get one. Can't believe you guys are using the wait and see mentality with Taggart. That usually gets you no where especially if you've never been anywhere. Going to be a long 5 years.

Should have put the "just" wait and see, meaning there are great things to come. My bad bro.
I am not really sure what options we have other than just letting thing develop. Sometimes I get the impression that people around here think college football is like the NFL and the AD is like an NFL GM. We can't just go out and pick up new players on the waiver wire or trade for new players. There is zero ability to change your roster during the season other than maybe go to the intramural field and find a walk on.

The offense is not reliant on an NFL QB. It is reliant on a QB that doesn't have to be running for his life on every play. It also is important to have receivers that can catch the ball consistently when they are wide open.

For the team, it sure would be helpful if the punter helps out by not punting only 15 yards or 2 yards from our own end zone.

I don't think is a matter of waiting for Taggart to get guys in here that fit his system. I think it is a matter of the recruits either being better level talent and also physically getting stronger.

The offense isn't reliant on an "NFL QB". However it is reliant on a VERY GOOD college QB if you want your team to be very good. Anyone can go out there with 3 TE's take a snap (except maybe Matt Floyd) and hand the ball off.

We could be respectable with a very good offensive line and a very good defense with an average QB. But if we want to be a really good relevant (relevant to me is just outside top 25 rankings or in the rankings) team in college football in this style of offense we're going to have to have a very good QB. You can't hide a QB in passing situations in this offense. I don't see us getting the type of QB we need to be relevant anytime soon. Those types of QBs go to Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford etc.

Every team is reliant on a "very good" QB. What team isn't. What kind of statement is that?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Every team is reliant on a "very good" QB. What team isn't. What kind of statement is that?

Yea you got me. Good point. I guess I think the same way sheamanecw does with it. I think you need a better QB in this type of offense then you would in a spread where you can hide weaknesses by throwing quickly, read options, etc. But yea every team is reliant on a very good qb in order for success. I agree.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Yea you got me. Good point. I guess I think the same way sheamanecw does with it. I think you need a better QB in this type of offense then you would in a spread where you can hide weaknesses by throwing quickly, read options, etc. But yea every team is reliant on a very good qb in order for success. I agree.

BJ Daniels was 85% of our offense. he was asked to throw 35 times per game and run another 12 times per game.

just because a throw is short doesn't mean it's not difficult.

the offense we used to run was way more reliant on a "very good" QB that could do everything than this offense is. he was expected to be 85% of our offensive output.

This offense calls for a game manager at QB. this offense calls for a big time RB that can carry the ball 25 times per game. a QB to make 20-25 pass plays per game usually to backs and TEs which tend to be easier.

Anyone else watch ESPN Recruiting Nation today? Anyone see that Oregon got a commit in Florida? That Oregon runs a type of offense seen in many high school that run a spread and targets players in that type offense? They don't go after players based on their ranking, they go after players that run in their type system and do it well. Is USF doing that? Or just signing everyone that says yes? Seems that its going to take years to retrain these players not familiar with this offense in high school. That seems like a liability to me. 

you think we have the type of players to run Oregon's offense???? ha ha . yeah I can see Eveld out there running the read option.

Oregon's QB averages 15 yards per carry and 75 yards per game. Eveld averages -6 yards per game. yeah we have an offense built just like Oregon's.....

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Actually the short throws were BJ's weakness -- absolutely no touch.  His deep game was much better, so yes they can be difficult.  But I think it is easier to find the kind of QB you need to run a read option style offense - there are just more of them available.  Still we will be fine with this offense, USF just has to actually recruit a QB instead of trying to play walkons!

Actually the short throws were BJ's weakness -- absolutely no touch.  His deep game was much better, so yes they can be difficult.  But I think it is easier to find the kind of QB you need to run a read option style offense - there are just more of them available.  Still we will be fine with this offense, USF just has to actually recruit a QB instead of trying to play walkons!

it's only easier because you can recruit "athletes" to run around and play QB in the read option. problem is athletes don't make good QBs in many cases. carlton hill was a prime example. 5 star athlete that could not play QB in college unless it was for rich rodriguez.

our offense last year relied on the QB to be both a good runner and passer. we went 5 wide. sure we ran some read option but it was more a passing offense.

they are far more difficult to find. just look at the NFL. there are few QBs that can do both. far more that are just passers.

Edited by Bull94