• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The evidence is there

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Expect to see a lot of changes over the course of the year. The frosh are starting to learn the system and they are playing harder and trying more than the "experienced players". Over the next few weeks you will see more frosh playing. CWT has a plan and is sticking to it. Yesterday we saw some evidence of this changing of the guard. Everyone tends to focus on the skill positions but if you looked at the lines and DB you would have seen frosh getting some playing time. This is going to increase as the year goes on. The end of the season will have a different set of starters than the beginning of the season did and it won't be because of injury. I know a few of the coaches and at least one of them looks like he is ready to go postal on these kids (he won't but you get the idea). The common theme I get is that they are not fast enough, strong enough, and have not been developed at all. The coaches I'm talking to says it takes about a year to get any real development done strength wise, speed you need to compensate for but it requires players doing what they are told (which isn't always the case).

The offensive coaches also point out it is a complicated offense that takes time to really learn but once it is learned and you can use a larger portion of the playbook it puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Apparently the offense is designed to force a mismatch on skill players and it is up to the QB to recognize that mismatch. Our problem is that we don't have the skill players to consistently get that mismatch and the QBs are still learning how to identify it. Once again more patience it takes about a year to learn, and a couple of games to get the real feel of the offense. This is why CWT was so patient with Floyd and Eveld before he decided that they really didn't have the skills for the offense.

A third problem that the team faces is that they had to take players they didn't want. Not all of the recent recruiting class was CWT and coaches choices but since Kragholtz had offered the scholarship they had to honor it. Over the course of the season they hope to pressure some of the non- performing players to transfer to other schools (decrease playing time, extra reps and scut work during practice) which will free up scholarships and allow CWT to recruit better players. The coaching staff expected this year to be bad (although not this bad) with a movement to about .500 next year. It is the third year that they expect to really start getting some serious results. The coaches were trying to let fans know it was bad but apparently the fans didn't catch the hints, "surprised about the talent level", "no one is really standing out", "we need to build more skill", "players are not developing as fast as we hoped", all hints that this year was going to be bad (coach speak).

I understand where this is coming from.  And I understand that it takes time to build a program.  But part of the issue is that Taggart is running a completely different system with completely different skills required.  Thus, the system is currently a large part of the problem.  They are trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  You can say it isn't the coaching staff, but you are basically saying that the coaching staff knows they don't have the personnel to run the system.  So they have taken a team that could win 6-8 games in one system, and made it a team that may win 1-3 games.  

If you are an excellent coaching staff, your system should be somewhat more flexible than that.  Not that we should be running a spread offense, but there should be flexibility in the system to at least be somewhat mediocre during the transition.

Also, what happens five years from now when we have a couple of QB injuries and a QB new to the system has to take over.  Can we expect disaster to occur, since that QB hasn't spent two to three years learning the system?

Seems like even pro teams are simplifying their systems, and we are making ours most complicated.

this team wasn't going to win 6-8 games for skip. that's laughable.

I do see anywhere that I said that.  You, I and the coaches all know this team would be doing better with more elements of a simpler spread offense.

I find it odd that you posted a long, well thought out and well punctuated post.  Then when I responded, you respond with a few half sentences.  What's up with that?

that wasn't my post.

not sure if you read your own but you said they took a team that could win 6-8 games in one system. I highlighted it for you.

they wouldn't do better. they didn't last year after BJ went down. they scored 1 offensive TD in last 3 games.

perhaps you forget.

I think with bench and white learning the system more, as well as hopefully drastic improvements at OL, we are set at QB for the next few years

not sure bench is good enough passer. I hope white is but I don't want Taggart to feel that way. Hopefully he is still looking for good QBs.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Expect to see a lot of changes over the course of the year. The frosh are starting to learn the system and they are playing harder and trying more than the "experienced players". Over the next few weeks you will see more frosh playing. CWT has a plan and is sticking to it. Yesterday we saw some evidence of this changing of the guard. Everyone tends to focus on the skill positions but if you looked at the lines and DB you would have seen frosh getting some playing time. This is going to increase as the year goes on. The end of the season will have a different set of starters than the beginning of the season did and it won't be because of injury. I know a few of the coaches and at least one of them looks like he is ready to go postal on these kids (he won't but you get the idea). The common theme I get is that they are not fast enough, strong enough, and have not been developed at all. The coaches I'm talking to says it takes about a year to get any real development done strength wise, speed you need to compensate for but it requires players doing what they are told (which isn't always the case).

The offensive coaches also point out it is a complicated offense that takes time to really learn but once it is learned and you can use a larger portion of the playbook it puts a lot of pressure on the defense. Apparently the offense is designed to force a mismatch on skill players and it is up to the QB to recognize that mismatch. Our problem is that we don't have the skill players to consistently get that mismatch and the QBs are still learning how to identify it. Once again more patience it takes about a year to learn, and a couple of games to get the real feel of the offense. This is why CWT was so patient with Floyd and Eveld before he decided that they really didn't have the skills for the offense.

A third problem that the team faces is that they had to take players they didn't want. Not all of the recent recruiting class was CWT and coaches choices but since Kragholtz had offered the scholarship they had to honor it. Over the course of the season they hope to pressure some of the non- performing players to transfer to other schools (decrease playing time, extra reps and scut work during practice) which will free up scholarships and allow CWT to recruit better players. The coaching staff expected this year to be bad (although not this bad) with a movement to about .500 next year. It is the third year that they expect to really start getting some serious results. The coaches were trying to let fans know it was bad but apparently the fans didn't catch the hints, "surprised about the talent level", "no one is really standing out", "we need to build more skill", "players are not developing as fast as we hoped", all hints that this year was going to be bad (coach speak).

I understand where this is coming from.  And I understand that it takes time to build a program.  But part of the issue is that Taggart is running a completely different system with completely different skills required.  Thus, the system is currently a large part of the problem.  They are trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  You can say it isn't the coaching staff, but you are basically saying that the coaching staff knows they don't have the personnel to run the system.  So they have taken a team that could win 6-8 games in one system, and made it a team that may win 1-3 games.  

If you are an excellent coaching staff, your system should be somewhat more flexible than that.  Not that we should be running a spread offense, but there should be flexibility in the system to at least be somewhat mediocre during the transition.

Also, what happens five years from now when we have a couple of QB injuries and a QB new to the system has to take over.  Can we expect disaster to occur, since that QB hasn't spent two to three years learning the system?

Seems like even pro teams are simplifying their systems, and we are making ours most complicated.

I do see anywhere that I said that.  You, I and the coaches all know this team would be doing better with more elements of a simpler spread offense.

I find it odd that you posted a long, well thought out and well punctuated post.  Then when I responded, you respond with a few half sentences.  What's up with that?

Skip Holtz ran a simple spread/pistol offense

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

I think with bench and white learning the system more, as well as hopefully drastic improvements at OL, we are set at QB for the next few years

not sure bench is good enough passer. I hope white is but I don't want Taggart to feel that way. Hopefully he is still looking for good QBs.

I would take the sample size with a grain of salt. Taggart has continuously said Bench doesnt have a full grasp of the offense, WRs have had the dropsies and the OL is awful. With all of that being said, he has shown passion, and leadership as well as a flash here and there of play making abilities. I think with this whole year under his belt, as well as more time in the system in the offseason, the winner of white/bench for next season should be plenty good enough to run the offense

I would take the sample size with a grain of salt. Taggart has continuously said Bench doesnt have a full grasp of the offense, WRs have had the dropsies and the OL is awful. With all of that being said, he has shown passion, and leadership as well as a flash here and there of play making abilities. I think with this whole year under his belt, as well as more time in the system in the offseason, the winner of white/bench for next season should be plenty good enough to run the offense

he wasn't much of a passer in high school. I like his moxy. I think this offense needs a precision passer more than an athlete.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The evidence is there that these guys don't have a ton of talent and aren't grasping the offense as well as we'd like them to, but overall I agree that the more complicated offense will eventually pay out. Definitely stick with CWT, he inherited a broken-down house that's going to take time to repair. Heck, it'll probably take a few more games just to figure out everything that's wrong.

I really feel like most of it is mental, though. If we can fix/flush that, the turnaround will be underway.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

that wasn't my post.

not sure if you read your own but you said they took a team that could win 6-8 games in one system. I highlighted it for you.

they wouldn't do better. they didn't last year after BJ went down. they scored 1 offensive TD in last 3 games.

perhaps you forget.

Sorry, your usernames looked almost the same.

I did say they could win 6-8 games with a different system.  I did NOT say they could win 6-8 games with Holtz.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Skip Holtz ran a simple spread/pistol offense

See my post above.  Holtz is the only coach in football running a spread?  Texas A&M seems to do ok with a spread.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Let's get this straight. CWT was the running backs coach at Stanford. There have been assistants with much better pedigree than that who have failed as a HC. And even they beat the cup cake teams.

Charlie-Weis-Notre-Dame.jpg

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

Let's get this straight. CWT was the running backs coach at Stanford. There have been assistants with much better pedigree than that who have failed as a HC. And even they beat the cup cake teams.

Charlie-Weis-Notre-Dame.jpg

Who else you got slick? He is hometown guy who was not just going to sellout because a better offer came by. Petrino would have left after one year.We got who we wanted and who we needed. Willie loves Florida. He loves the area and the area loves him. He is a recruiter. He does have the pedigree. The only truth here is we dont know the future and to give it a chance. He may fail but I see what he is trying to do. Coach Holtz did not seem to have a recruting plan. I will take Willie losing this year for the future. It cant get any worse. We are what we were the last three game of 2012.  We have no where to go but up.