• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scheduling Envy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I live in San Antonio and UTSA is doing what USF did only faster. All these teams are coming to the Alamodome: okla st, Arizona, ariz st, Baylor, Houston, and a few others. Tx a&m is at college station. Averaged 35k fans a game. Basically they are USF to a T 10-12 years ago. They will defeat one of these teams there is so much talent in Texas.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

UTSA will probably catch up to us pretty soon if we don't start winning.

Their coach and program designer has a little more experience than ours.

LarryCoker2.jpg

Yep, so did Bill Curry at GSU but we saw how that turned out.  Although I think Coker is a bit younger than Curry, probably has a little more stamina to run with a startup than Curry did.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I wouldn't mind seeing UTSA on our away schedule. I'd like to have a reason to visit San Antonio. Georgia State is another program that I'd to see grow into an away schedule worthy opponent just to weaken the Ga Tech/ACC hold on Atlanta.

I lived in ATL, and there's no ACC hold there. SEC is huge in ATL (always play SEC champ in the Dome), lots of Bulldog fans there (boo) and definitely a growing fan base for GAST but they need what we need--more wins. They started out strong, but are fading.

Good for UTSA. They got the schedule for being weak and local, but credit their AD/staff for being able to pull in the P5 teams. Would love to see USF play them, would be another game I'd get to show up for!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I like calling them Oootsah, but everybody in TX calls them U.T.S.A.

More's the pity.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

UTSA will probably catch up to us pretty soon if we don't start winning.

Their coach and program designer has a little more experience than ours.

LarryCoker2.jpg

Yep, so did Bill Curry at GSU but we saw how that turned out.  Although I think Coker is a bit younger than Curry, probably has a little more stamina to run with a startup than Curry did.  

Didn't expect much from him after his run at Kentucky.  He's had as many losing seasons as winning over thee years. That being said, their first year wasn't bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing UTSA on our away schedule. I'd like to have a reason to visit San Antonio. Georgia State is another program that I'd to see grow into an away schedule worthy opponent just to weaken the Ga Tech/ACC hold on Atlanta.

I lived in ATL, and there's no ACC hold there. SEC is huge in ATL (always play SEC champ in the Dome), lots of Bulldog fans there (boo) and definitely a growing fan base for GAST but they need what we need--more wins. They started out strong, but are fading.

Good for UTSA. They got the schedule for being weak and local, but credit their AD/staff for being able to pull in the P5 teams. Would love to see USF play them, would be another game I'd get to show up for!

There is more than a few Tech and  fans of the various Carolina teams and FSU in Atlanta.  And I guess you forgot where they hold the ACC basketball tournament. But yeah, there are many UGA, Bama and Auburn fans too. I think the popularity of UGA has to do with Uga the bulldog and Herschel Walker as well as the number of alumni. Its a lot harder to get into Tech than UGA.

03d13bee34f30dbe292d11e3681c6f04.jpg?ito

Nope, didn't forget, but thought we were talkin' da foosball. When it comes to football in ATL, you hear a lot more about UGA, Bama, Auburn, and UF than you do GT. Mostly because GT hasn't really done much since '90. Personally I can't stand UGA, and when it comes to venues it's hard to beat a game at Bobby Dodd in the fall...awesome!

GaUSFBull might have a different perspective?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think you hear more about SEC teams here in Atlanta because that's where the lion's share of the passion is at the moment in this city.  Those four SEC schools you mentioned are well represented here and most of the college football talk on radio is centered around them.  

680 the Fan radio here touches on Tech a little bit, but focuses on UGA and SEC teams more.  They talk about FSU almost as much as GT.  There's 790 the Zone which apparently is a Tech station, but I don't know many that listen to it for anything besides Tech games on radio.  

Bobby Dodd and Sanford Stadium are both great places to catch a game.  I like Sanford for the better quality football and true college town atmosphere, but I like the Atlanta skyline backdrop at GT games.  

Any other ACC schools besides FSU and Tech have some representation around here, but not enough to really talk about.  So raptor, I basically agree with what you said.  

It was nice when we added an FM station (92.9 the Game) there that talked sports from a non-ESPN point of view. You got one on me, though, having gone to Sanford stadium--I got the willies anytime I went near Athens! :rolleyes:

I think you hear more about SEC teams here in Atlanta because that's where the lion's share of the passion is at the moment in this city.  Those four SEC schools you mentioned are well represented here and most of the college football talk on radio is centered around them.  

680 the Fan radio here touches on Tech a little bit, but focuses on UGA and SEC teams more.  They talk about FSU almost as much as GT.  There's 790 the Zone which apparently is a Tech station, but I don't know many that listen to it for anything besides Tech games on radio.  

Bobby Dodd and Sanford Stadium are both great places to catch a game.  I like Sanford for the better quality football and true college town atmosphere, but I like the Atlanta skyline backdrop at GT games.  

Any other ACC schools besides FSU and Tech have some representation around here, but not enough to really talk about.  So raptor, I basically agree with what you said.  

Night game at Tech made SI's top 10 places to see a college football game awhile back. I agree there are plenty of SEC fans here, but there are a ton of FSU alumni in Atlanta along with Clemson and the NC schools. My neighbor was a scholarship soccer athlete at Duke while her husband went to Auburn. Which flag flies outside their house during football season? LOL.  With the SEC doing so well and UGA 2 hours away, they get the most media time, too much if you ask me. But look at the Chick-fil-a bowl, packed with ACC fans (at least as many as the SEC fans), it has the best attendance of any non-BCS bowl.

Ever read about the UGA/Tech rivalry? Interesting. Clean Old Fashioned Hate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

There is also some debate on moving the ACC Football Championship to Atlanta.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1199880-college-football-acc-should-make-the-smart-move-and-shift-champion-to-atlanta