• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chris Jones, CB, Sandalwood HS, Jax, FL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Committed to Nebraska today. Why do kids commit if they are going to change their commitment numerous times???

I'm starting to believe it is a societal thing. Not too many examples of true commitment for these kids in the world today.

Twenty four commits on our list, thirteen of them have been committed since at least September.  Many of the others were not previously committed elsewhere.  Of those that did, coaches leaving had something to do with that.  I don't know how many commits we've lost, but I'm pretty sure it is only a handful.  

I'd say we have lots of examples of "true commitment". 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Committed to Nebraska today. Why do kids commit if they are going to change their commitment numerous times???

I'm starting to believe it is a societal thing. Not too many examples of true commitment for these kids in the world today.

Twenty four commits on our list, thirteen of them have been committed since at least September.  Many of the others were not previously committed elsewhere.  Of those that did, coaches leaving had something to do with that.  I don't know how many commits we've lost, but I'm pretty sure it is only a handful.  

Either you miss the point entirely, or you are being typical Shadow. I didn't say there are no examples, nor did I say none know the meaning of the word.

Either you miss the point entirely, or you are being typical Shadow. I didn't say there are no examples, nor did I say none know the meaning of the word.

To me, "not too many" would mean much less than half maybe in the 10 to 20 percent range.  When we are talking about teenagers and well over half committed only once and stayed committed, that is a very high number.  In my opinion, commitment means a lot to teens or we would see drastically smaller numbers remaining committed.  If you can get over half of teens to do anything the same way, it must rank pretty highly in teen culture.  It looks to me like well over 75% of kids will commit only once.  

75% is "many" to me.  I don't understand how you equate that to "not too many".

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

Twenty four commits on our list, thirteen of them have been committed since at least September. Many of the others were not previously committed elsewhere. Of those that did, coaches leaving had something to do with that. I don't know how many commits we've lost, but I'm pretty sure it is only a handful.

To me, "not too many" would mean much less than half maybe in the 10 to 20 percent range. When we are talking about teenagers and well over half committed only once and stayed committed, that is a very high number. In my opinion, commitment means a lot to teens or we would see drastically smaller numbers remaining committed. If you can get over half of teens to do anything the same way, it must rank pretty highly in teen culture. It looks to me like well over 75% of kids will commit only once.

75% is "many" to me. I don't understand how you equate that to "not too many".

Omg let it go

• Upvote 1

Andy Staples did a much more thorough job, using the Rivals Top 100.  He found that less than 15% of the Top 100 decommitted, and only 12.4% actually committed to a different school than they originally committed to.  The schools, meanwhile, changed coaches at a rate of 15.6%.  

Therefore, high school teenagers are more committed than the universities they committed to!

But that doesn't tell the whole story, because almost 35% of those that decommitted ultimately failed to qualify.  So one can assume that is the reason for most of those decommits.  That drops the average down to less than 10%, we just mentally focus on these more because the uncertainly brings them to the fore.

I think you have done a great disservice to high school student athletes by falsely "accusing" them of being wishy washy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/01/20/commitment.project/

Twenty four commits on our list, thirteen of them have been committed since at least September. Many of the others were not previously committed elsewhere. Of those that did, coaches leaving had something to do with that. I don't know how many commits we've lost, but I'm pretty sure it is only a handful.

To me, "not too many" would mean much less than half maybe in the 10 to 20 percent range. When we are talking about teenagers and well over half committed only once and stayed committed, that is a very high number. In my opinion, commitment means a lot to teens or we would see drastically smaller numbers remaining committed. If you can get over half of teens to do anything the same way, it must rank pretty highly in teen culture. It looks to me like well over 75% of kids will commit only once.

75% is "many" to me. I don't understand how you equate that to "not too many".

Omg let it go

1.  This is a discussion board.  Typically discussions happen on a discussion board.  You are free not to read a particular discussion, especially since this recruit is going somewhere else.

2.  A negative remark and invalid assumption was made about teenagers in America.  I think the student athletes in question would appreciate someone setting the record straight, rather than everyone assuming the assumption is correct.  A large problem in our society right now is that someone makes a statement and everone assumes it correct without checking facts.  There are a great many horribly incorrect statements floating around as "truth" when they aren't close to being reality.  I like to make facts known, especially when someone or some group is being disparaged for reasons that are unjustified.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Good for him. Best of luck. Purdue is prob pissed lol

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It's not a negative and invalid assumption just because you disagree. You've given nothing but your own feelings as a rebuttal to what I said. You and I disagree, that's all. If you have more than that, like those facts you speak of, feel free to post those mythical things. Otherwise, it's clear to see the farcical nature of your last post.

Carry on accordingly ...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Good for him. Best of luck. Purdue is prob pissed lol

This is kinda like when your girl dumps you for someone...then she dumps THAT guy.  You didn't really want her back, but you're kinda glad you duped & dumped him as well!

No hard feelings for Jones...was one of the few guys I wasn't sure was a good add to the class.  Wish him well.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

It's not a negative and invalid assumption just because you disagree. You've given nothing but your own feelings as a rebuttal to what I said. You and I disagree, that's all. If you have more than that, like those facts you speak of, feel free to post those mythical things. Otherwise, it's clear to see the farcical nature of your last post.

Carry on accordingly ...

When the slow try to wax eloquent.......

2760-5456.gif

• Downvote 1