• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Phillip Ely

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

That's true we needed a qb badly.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If only this kid made the decision to come to USF out of high school, he'd likely be set as a starter here.

• Topic Count:  2,336
  • Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Wow, Toledo, interesting choice.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Wow, Toledo, interesting choice.

I remember going over some reviews and they were not that super positive on his abilities....I am glad we have Steven Bench...

Go Bulls

QB Philip Ely stats at Alabama..

2012 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN): Has earned playing time as the backup quarterback in six games, completing 3-of-4 passes for 42 yards and a touchdown. Arkansas: Connected on two of his three attempts for 15 yards. Mississippi State: Threw his first career touchdown on a 27-yard pass, his only attempt of the game.

2011 (REDSHIRT): He redshirted during his first year with the Crimson Tide

I don't believe we missed much..red shirted one year and backup the next..  not realy impressed  and he will probably do well in Toledo see plenty of playing time and get an education..     Good luck to him..       

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Lol, not impressed? Kid won 2 state titles at Plant HS and held offers from Bama, LSU, Clemson, etc. and was the 20th best pro-style QB in the country. Got PLAYING TIME at Bama as a RS Freshman and did well. Pretty sure they won a NC last year.

Would have been a hell of a get, even with him having to sit a year.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

On another thread someone reported that once we got Bench, we were not taking anymore transfers.

Lol, not impressed? Kid won 2 state titles at Plant HS and held offers from Bama, LSU, Clemson, etc. and was the 20th best pro-style QB in the country. Got PLAYING TIME at Bama as a RS Freshman and did well. Pretty sure they won a NC last year.

Would have been a hell of a get, even with him having to sit a year.

Yes  That's why they have horse races...Playing Time IMO is can be dependent on score or injury....????If he took over the games because the starter was out due to injury and brought them back from the jaws of defeat I would agree with you  He helped win the NC ....I did not see any great write up..so correct me if I am wrong..He played while Bama was in the lead and  getting game exposure...this  is a common practice and it was  in six games  not every game IMO not that special .. 

He played in six game and threw 4 passes for 42 yards...2 for 3  against Arkansas...for 15 yards...so how many reps did he get???

If he got more reps they were running plays and Why not more passes   no I am glad we got Bench and we can prepare White giving him playing time..

On another thread someone reported that once we got Bench, we were not taking anymore transfers.

I think if Taggart wanted him he would have gone after him with all the local ties...

I just did not see a stellar performace...Two years in Bama and threw 4 passes... 

there are some new recruits out there   (a Colin Kaepernick under the radar)  like Matt Grothe  or Bj Daniels who big progames over look and can do very well at USF..

Bring in Ely and kill future recruiting for years to come with a recruit wondering if he would ever see playing time..

Go Bulls

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

And you see stellar performance from Steven Bench? Please show me where. I hope he's amazing and helps us go bowling, but he's just as unproven.

QBs will always come to try and compete to start here, doesnt matter whos starting. Grabbing Bama's backup would have been nice.