• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question about Big East Baseball Standings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  181
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/Baseball.aspx

On the Big East website it shows Pitt over us, even though we swept them. I get it that they have a better win percentage in total games but, does anyone know if that is what really breaks a tie? If so that sucks! 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that's just the way it's formatted on the website.  If I had to put money on it, I'd bet head to heads are before overall win percentage.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

From last year

The Cardinals and Red Storm each finished with 18-9 conference records, but U of L will be the No. 1 seed at this week's conference tournament by virtue of it taking the regular season series with the Johnnies

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that's just the way it's formatted on the website.  If I had to put money on it, I'd bet head to heads are before overall win percentage.

The weekly release has us on top ...  http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/pdfs/Baseball/Baseball_Weekly_Releases/weekly-release.pdf

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  181
  • Days Won:  0

Ok that is good! Went to the game last night and man it was beautiful weather at our nice new stadium. Really hope this season keeps being this awesome! Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/Baseball.aspx

On the Big East website it shows Pitt over us, even though we swept them. I get it that they have a better win percentage in total games but, does anyone know if that is what really breaks a tie? If so that sucks! 

Alphabetic, maybe?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The listings on the website only go by conference record and breaks the tie by overall record. Its unofficial.

From the Big East website Policy Manual (page 85) http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/pdfs/Policy_Manual/baseball.pdf

The following policies are set up to break ties at the end of the regular season for seeding purposes. Follow the appropriate steps in order. Once one or more teams gain an advantage in the case of a multiple-team tie, revert to the beginning of the tie-breaking policies with the remaining teams. If the ties cannot be broken, a coin flip will be conducted by the Commissioner or his designee.

Two-Way Tie
1. Regular season head-to-head results.
2. Each team’s combined winning percentage versus the teams ranked higher in the standings.
3. Each team’s winning percentage versus a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
 NOTE: When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.
4. Runs given up against each other.

Multiple-Team Tie
1. Teams are viewed as a "mini-conference" when comparing head-to-head results. The team or teams with the best combined record versus the other teams in the mini-conference gains the advantage.
2. Each team’s combined winning percentage versus the teams ranked higher in the standings.
3. Each team’s winning percentage against a common opponent that is occupying the highest position in the standings, and continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
 NOTE: When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.
4. Runs given up against each other

My question is if we tie with Louisville. The policy says "regular season head-to-head results".  Does that mean our season opener against them will be counted even though it was a non-conference game?  The policy manual doesn't specify that it has to be conference regular season games, just regular season games.  Hopefully that game won't count as the tie-breaker and it will likely come down to how we each do against Pitt (good thing we got the sweep, UL plays them the final weekend).

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

If there's a tie and no head-to-head, it's based on best record against each team starting from top of standings on down. I'd think sweeping Pitt would carry a lot of weight that way if it's a tie not involving pitt ...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Days Won:  19

If there's a tie and no head-to-head, it's based on best record against each team starting from top of standings on down. I'd think sweeping Pitt would carry a lot of weight that way if it's a tie not involving pitt ...

It would be real ironic, since Louisville beat our brains in this season ... as a non-conference game. It would kill them to loose the 1 seed because we did better against Pitt.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

keep winning