• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tradition Talk

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The Outlaws formed in Tampa. Green grass and high tides forever. The unofficial Tampa anthem.

http://youtu.be/rKbk_dQ8Mhg

I'd go for this, but it'd be tough as a singalong. Not much in the way of harmony to the lyrics. BTW, I actually saw them play once, by accident, in a biker bar up on Nebraska, near Bearss. Woulda been 1977-79, somewhere around there. Totally blown away.

Midnight Rider would be good.

Molly Hatchet is awesome, but no way they'd be good for a singalong!

What about buffet? He's got a number of good ones...

Gotta put some Skynrd in the mix...

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

Agree with Bulls on Parade...we already have it.

Also, you cant force tradition, they happen over time or in an instant...i.e. see Ohio State and "Hang on Sloopy"

On Saturday, October 9 at the OSU/Illinois game, the halftime show and about-to-be tradition were almost rained out.  During the second quarter, such a heavy downpour drenched the fans and the field that the band considered canceling its performance to avoid making an even muddier mess of the gridiron, which was grass.  But, Head Coach Woody  Hayes had grown to appreciate the band more than he did ten years earlier when he ordered the marchers off a soaked field during the 1955 Rose Bowl.  So the 120 band members performed before a drenched but enthusiastic crowd.  The OSUMB, in the form of a giant ballerina, stepped gracefully in the mud to Tchaikovsky’s Waltz of the Flowers – then suddenly began to gyrate in a wild Watusi as it played Hang On Sloopy.  The crowd went crazy. 

Before the next game, against an unbeaten Michigan State up north, a nervous Coach Hayes took an unprecedented walk to speak to the band.  With only 38 players on the bench and a mere 3,500 Buckeye fans in the Spartan stands, Hayes needed all the help he could get.  When the Buckeyes fell behind by 18 points in the second half, the band, from its seats, played Hang On Sloopy.  The call-to-rally role had been cast.  From then on, Hang On Sloopy would be a catalyst for comeback, a starting gun to celebrate a foreseeable victory, or a summons to change the status quo for the better.  Sad to say, the Buckeyes didn’t come back that afternoon, losing 32 – 7.  But they were undefeated the rest of the season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

What about buffet? He's got a number of good ones...

Warren Buffet sings? ... Shirley, you're not talking about Jimmy Buffett for something like this.

It doesn't HAVE to be serendipity.

Sweet Caroline was put the rotation intentionally by the music director. then it caught on. We could easily do the same.

Put the lyrics on the Jumbotron, and play a few different songs thru the season. Re-play the ones with the best response until the tradition takes root.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Screw it... Play stripper music and place poles at the 50 yard line

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Of course Sweet Caroline was written for Caroline Kennedy. Might be more to it than just on a play list.

i dont believe it for a second.sounds like revisionist history on the  part of mr diamond.it makes for a much better story than penning a song while he was high  in someone's basement

i dont understand the fascination with 60s song

wasnt a cool or hip song at the time

I agree. My mom listened to Diamond. They should be singing "White Rabbit" or maybe "In the Court of the Crimson King". Too bad the first Black Sabbath album did not come out until 1970 or I might recommend "Black Sabbath" or "the Wizard". Edited by Mission9

Another Tampa band from the 70's...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Sweet Caroline was put the rotation intentionally by the music director. then it caught on. We could easily do the same.

Put the lyrics on the Jumbotron, and play a few different songs thru the season. Re-play the ones with the best response until the tradition takes root.

This is a good idea.  They also need to start putting the words to the alma mater and fight song on the jumbotron.  A new announcer could assist in pumping the crowd and get rid of the band announcer- he is just plain awful.  I am not sure he could pump up anyone

This is a good idea.  They also need to start putting the words to the alma mater and fight song on the jumbotron.  A new announcer could assist in pumping the crowd and get rid of the band announcer- he is just plain awful.  I am not sure he could pump up anyone

Agree 100%

This is such a no-brainer, I really can't understand the ignorant pride that would cause someone to not do this.

"Well, other schools don't have to do it"

So freakin what?

Put the lyrics up already!

Edited by charsibb