• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why do we struggle at baseball?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

With Opening Day close, I'm getting the baseball fever.  So I've been looking at our stats the past few years and am blown away at the lack of wins and progress the program has had.  Why do we struggle so much?  This is isn't a rant on Prado or a reason to get rid of him...I'm just lost as to why a school like FGCU or even other BE schools can beat us down year in and year out.  Each year we seem to be around .500, what is it going to take for us to get over the hump?

If Taggert can come in and make a call to protect the local talent, why hasn't the baseball program done the same?  I played ball in the area so I know the talent level is plentiful, but it just seems like each year we struggle to get the right kids.  I know baseball is tough with other schools in the area (other big schools, JC's and D2 and such) and MLB, but I just can't for the life of me believe that we don't have a BE baseball title or even a post season birth.  Our softball team is making progress, yet baseball just seems to do the same thing each year.  I know when I was playing Prado was doing a good job at UT getting talent to come and play and they were winning, what has changed?  Is it the lack of committment by the Athletic Program and DW? Since, I'm not local anymore do kids just not want to play there?

My inquiring mind wants to know?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Prado loves recruiting only Jesuit. :D  On a less hyperbolic note, his recruiting has been pretty lack-luster, as he's swung for the fences many times only to have those players never set foot on campus because the siren song of Major League baseball has been too great.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Wish I had the answers for you

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Prado loves recruiting only Jesuit. :D  On a less hyperbolic note, his recruiting has been pretty lack-luster, as he's swung for the fences many times only to have those players never set foot on campus because the siren song of Major League baseball has been too great.

Seems like he needs to pick low hanging fruit and then try and develop them into stars.  He won at UT and Louisville right?

Edited by Rizman

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Is there any recruiting going on at Sarasota HS (Sailors)..They seem to have a great program

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

easy

lack of talent due to inability to recruit

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Prado was barely over 0.500 at Louisville and about the same at USF.  He had a couple of National Tittles with Univ of Tampa (Div II), but that's about it.

Florida is talent rich in baseball.  This should be Prado's **** or get off the pot year and personally I'm not thrilled at 13-12.  Might be tome to make a change unless Woolard see's something I don't in the future with Prado.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

easy

lack of talent due to inability to recruit

This is absolutely correct. My baseball agent buddy echoed roughly the same statement a year ago.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

^ this.  Which Falls on the Coaches.

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Prado is another one of Woolards stellar hires that have allowed us to rise to the top of intercollegiate athletics.