• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why do we struggle at baseball?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  1

Having played baseball at the better Baseball school in Tampa I can tell you it is based off of reputation alone. Top end prospects want to get to the minors I don't think USF has been very successful transitioning players to the next level. Its bad that a D2 school has a clear recruiting edge in the same city

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

Baseball has been an underperformer for decades.

The excuse used to be facilities.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Having been recruited in baseball out of high school...USF has a terrible baseball reputation in the state and schools will steer players towards Juco ranks before sending them to USF because they can leave for the pros sooner.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

Having been recruited in baseball out of high school...USF has a terrible baseball reputation in the state and schools will steer players towards Juco ranks before sending them to USF because they can leave for the pros sooner.

When I was recruited by Cardieri, USF was too unfamiliar with me and I wasn't sold.  But I screwed up and went back to the school I ended up graduating from...just not to play ball. 

So if the consensus seems to be recruiting, can we hire CWT part time to help get this program up and running.  Or find a staff that will to help change this.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Baseball has been an underperformer for decades.

The excuse used to be facilities.

We were darn close to a trip to Omaha in 1996. At FSU's regional, we were leading FSU in the mid to late innings after winning a couple games before playing them. JD Drew homered. Our Head Coach and top assistant both got tossed and it slipped away. Win that game and we were in good shape (but not a lock) to advance. There were no super regionals back in those days, so one team from that regional advanced to the College World Series.

For those who don't know what is being referenced. Go to a Juco, get your AA and you can turn pro in 2 years. Go to a 4 year college, you can't turn pro until after your junior year.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

For those who don't know what is being referenced. Go to a Juco, get your AA and you can turn pro in 2 years. Go to a 4 year college, you can't turn pro until after your junior year.

False. Juco players are eligible after their first year as well.

Ok, I didn't know that ... sorry for the bad info ... But the part of those who chose a 4 year school having to wait 3 years is true. So the correction further makes the Juco even more attractive. Baseball is weird in the there is so much incentive not to get a 4 year degree (for those talented enough to have pro aspirations.)

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Is there any recruiting going on at Sarasota HS (Sailors)..They seem to have a great program

No, he only recruits Jesuit. See my post above. :D

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

Ok, I didn't know that ... sorry for the bad info ... But the part of those who chose a 4 year school having to wait 3 years is true. So the correction further makes the Juco even more attractive. Baseball is weird in the there is so much incentive not to get a 4 year degree (for those talented enough to have pro aspirations.)

And yet every other school in the state has been able to largely overcome this, besides USF (and FAMU but they suck at everything).

But let's not get it confused, the best players out there are not choosing Juco over playing for a solid D1 program. It's mainly the fringe guys that choose to play at a Chipola JC or Polk State rather than go somewhere out of state and pay out of state tuition to play at some crummy program. Or the guys that were drafted in high school, want to improve their draft stock and don't want to wait 3 years.

A friend from high school was going to play JC ball in florida until Rice scooped him up. He played 4 years, got his degree and was drafted in The 10th round last year. Another went to Polk State instead of going out of state. He pitches for Bethune-Cookman now. It obviously depends on the kids situation, however. A lot of guys start out D1 and then transfer out after a year. There are a lot of factors at play. Go look at a solid juco or D2 program roster and look at "previous school" and chances are there are about a half dozen that came from top tier programs.

Edited by SattyBull