• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

Is Woolard out of his mind!!!!!    Let me rephrase that since we know that answer.   Why has Woolard waited so long to resign Jose to a long term contract?  He did it for Holtz because BIG TIME schools were after him????  He did it for Heath, who has had modest success     (being kind)????   But not, Jose who has been to a post season numerous times.  I understand it is women's basketball so not a priority and does not generate the financial flow the other sports should.  But, Jose is one of the few coaches who wins year in and year out and has been grossly underpaid compared to others in his sport.  

Woolard's coaching hires have been outstanding ( tongue in cheek) and to let Jose find greener $$$$  pasture somewhere else would be a shame. I bet if one looks up the word incompetence in the dictionary there would be a picture of DW... just saying

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Woolard's waiting has actually been in Jose's favor.

Had he re-signed at the beginning of the season, he would have gotten less than he's going to get now.

All's well that ends well.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Is he really underpaid? What do WBB coaches with similar accomplishments make? I thought it was more an issue of getting an extension and not some big payday.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

Is he really underpaid? What do WBB coaches with similar accomplishments make? I thought it was more an issue of getting an extension and not some big payday.

I think he was on one of those Bluto-type rants where facts may get a little skewed ...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Well he's available now. If he can parlay turning this program around into a higher paying gig then more power to him. Sucks for us, but not extending a coach cuts both ways.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

I could be mistaken, but I believe Jose is one of the lowest paid WBB coaches in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Days Won:  19

I could be mistaken, but I believe Jose is one of the lowest paid WBB coaches in the Big East.

Ok, My google skills are lacking, since the best I could do was 2008 .... but in 2008, the average WBB head coach in the Big East was well over $400,000 a year. So it must be close to $500,000 a year by now. At that time, Jose was the lowest paid head coach of any BCS school.

Here is the stat page that Brett did 5 years ago. http://media.tbo.com/photos/sports/2008/feb/0222ncaacoaches.pdf

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Ok, My google skills are lacking, since the best I could do was 2008 .... but in 2008, the average WBB head coach in the Big East was well over $400,000 a year. So it must be close to $500,000 a year by now. At that time, Jose was the lowest paid head coach of any BCS school.

Here is the stat page that Brett did 5 years ago. http://media.tbo.com/photos/sports/2008/feb/0222ncaacoaches.p

As I remember it, Jose's 2010/11 3 year contract (after winning the 2009 NIT) set base pay at $150K plus $55K for personal appearances/and radio show which would increase to $65K in 2011/2012, and to $75K in 2012/2013.  Also he will get a $50K bonus for finishing out his contract.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Is Woolard out of his mind!!!!! Let me rephrase that since we know that answer. Why has Woolard waited so long to resign Jose to a long term contract? He did it for Holtz because BIG TIME schools were after him???? He did it for Heath, who has had modest success (being kind)???? But not, Jose who has been to a post season numerous times. I understand it is women's basketball so not a priority and does not generate the financial flow the other sports should. But, Jose is one of the few coaches who wins year in and year out and has been grossly underpaid compared to others in his sport.

Woolard's coaching hires have been outstanding ( tongue in cheek) and to let Jose find greener $$$$ pasture somewhere else would be a shame. I bet if one looks up the word incompetence in the dictionary there would be a picture of DW... just saying

It's a non-revenue sport. It's NOT uncommon for a lot of schools to hold off on signing an extension so that if they have to part ways they're not paying out the "a" to buy someone out (thus paying multiple salaries).

I'm sure something has been discussed.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

For what it's worth. Geno Auriemma's contract runs out next month. He didn't get an extension until yesterday.