• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hire Jose Fernandez: the man has earned a nice new contract

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

For anybody who's stuck with USF through all those years and rebuilt the women's program into a winner (after the scandal and mess), he deserves a nice raise and the right to stay with USF for a long time.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hear, hear!!!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Agreed, you've gotta pay this man his money. All coaches from ALL USF sports will be watching, are you willing to pay out to keep someone great?

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

If we gave Skip Holtz a new contract after a losing season, I don't see how we have a choice if they want to keep him

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

What was the scandal?

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Just a quick bit of history for those who weren't around. I won't get into the scandal, but the aftermath (which cost us a great AD).

Winter's assistants who were here during the scandal had all left either before the scandal broke or right as it was starting. Ron Gaithright and John Hughes (I might has misspelled those names). I really like John as a person and wonder where he ended up. They were never accused of racism, but it was probably implied they didn't do enough to stop it.

I will stop and say that we were a pretty dreadful basketball team at this point. 20 losses were pretty much an annual occurrence.

Winters had gotten a vote of confidence from Paul Griffin before public records requests found racist jokes either sent or forwarded from her email account. Those jokes and an interview given by Hiram Green who was the basketball operations guy changed the tide and required Griffin to fire Winters; then when the media attention didn't subside, Genshaft fired Griffin. 

Before Winters was fired, she went about replacing her two assistants with two young men: Harry Elifson and Jose Fernandez. When Winters got fired, it was very late in the calendar to look for a new head coach, so Griffin was going to name one of the assistants as the interim head coach. Both were about the same age (around 27) and seemed capable. Jose got the nod largely because he had head coaching experience on his resume (as a boy's high school head coach). Within a year, Jose had been impressive in the way he dealt with his awful team (lots of losses that year) and had the "interim" removed from his title.

Harry Elifson is now as assistant at FAU, but the two stayed together long enough to put together the team that was USF's first NCAA tournament team a few years back.

So, for anyone wondering how it all started .... there you go.

Edited by Mike Stuben

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

woolard should give his bonus to jose f

of course jose deserves a raise but we must remember women's bball doesnt generate much revenue

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Great Loss...

Yes we lost but in style....The women never gave up.  the coaching was smart...The NATIONAL PR was great... come back, lead, come back to tie...OT...

The women and Jose made me PROUD of USF..

DOUG this is a no BRAINER  and NO RISK... and Judy will be happy...It's always good to keep your boss happy 

Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I expect a new contract signed before the tournament is completed. No use in waiting around for someone to try and steal him away.