• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Francisco Hernandez, OLB, Largo HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

No surprise. He hasn't really been committed for a while now - probably would have had a tough time qualifying anyway. Other than maybe not being able to get in here, I have a hard time wrapping my head around why anyone would go to Marshall over USF, even with things as bad as they are right now.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I flew in/out of Huntington last year.  It's run down, and bland.  He's in for a fun 4 years, if he gets in.

I think I posted that I'd heard from a coach close to the program (can't reveal, out of respect to the coach) that he was going struggle to qualify anyway.

Still, he's a high school kid, so I hope he does well & takes advantage of a free ride in college.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

This is a grades thing.... Marshall has a prep school onsite so they can take non qualifiers and still play them. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

West Virginia has prep schools? You learn something new everyday.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

West Virginia has prep schools? You learn something new everyday.

Key word is "on site" I think... aka you show up, we give you a bunch of A's and B's until you qualify.  Definitely the dark seedy underbelly of college sports.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

This is a grades thing.... Marshall has a prep school onsite so they can take non qualifiers and still play them. 

Marshall does not have a prep school. There is a community college intertwined with Marshall that is a separate entity. But what I think you are thinking of is Marshall's HELP (Higher Education for Learning Problems) Program. The HELP Program is set up for any student if they need a tutor, work study or just need guidance.

http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/help/

He will be in the 1st Freshman class that will get to use the new IAF (Indoor Athletic Facility), student academic center and sports medicine center. All scheduled to open in Aug. 2014. Hernandez isn't the first Florida recruit that Doc Holliday has taken away from a school in Florida. Since Holliday has been at Marshall, he has taken 9 kids away from schools there. He isn't known as the best South Florida recruiter for no reason.

Marshall does not have a prep school. There is a community college intertwined with Marshall that is a separate entity. But what I think you are thinking of is Marshall's HELP (Higher Education for Learning Problems) Program. The HELP Program is set up for any student if they need a tutor, work study or just need guidance.

http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/help/

He will be in the 1st Freshman class that will get to use the new IAF (Indoor Athletic Facility), student academic center and sports medicine center. All scheduled to open in Aug. 2014. Hernandez isn't the first Florida recruit that Doc Holliday has taken away from a school in Florida. Since Holliday has been at Marshall, he has taken 9 kids away from schools there. He isn't known as the best South Florida recruiter for no reason.

Thanks for the civil weigh in, Herd.  I have to say, having married into West Virginia, I never realized how rough rivalries can be (and I'm also from Texas, so I've seen the Texas v Texas A&M brutality).  My first trip to WV, I saw a guy wearing this shirt: "I'd rather have a sister in a brothel, than a brother in Marshall".  OUCH!

Again, thanks for the insight.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Just tweeted he will be playing at Marshall and of course Joc Ellison replied that he needed to play somewhere bigger anyways....really, Marshall is bigger than us????

Boy Joc is butt hurt, eh? All in all, Frankie handled himself with class, wish him the best. Sorry he couldn't get in here. He's a gamer.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Marshall does not have a prep school. There is a community college intertwined with Marshall that is a separate entity. 

That fits the description of what we were told... prep school and cc are pretty much the same thing with a different name these days. Look... if it works out for him that's great. His core GPA is well under 2.0 so he'd have no shot at getting into USF in the fall. Hope WV works out for him.

Marshall does not have a prep school. There is a community college intertwined with Marshall that is a separate entity. 

That fits the description of what we were told... prep school and cc are pretty much the same thing with a different name these days. Look... if it works out for him that's great. His core GPA is well under 2.0 so he'd have no shot at getting into USF in the fall. Hope WV works out for him.

Just curious:  is it permissable (or ethical) to reveal his GPA?  Seems he should have some privacy rights. I'm not gigging you, as it's possible he's stated that, or it's public knowledge.  Just strikes me as harsh to publicly state that his GPA is sub 2.0.  Again...NOT picking an argument, just wondering where the lines are.