• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

when you consider the size and location of usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

Interesting

USF: 1,913 acres,Endowment US$411 million,Motto:Truth and Wisdom

UF: 2,000 acres Endowment US $1.295 billion,Motto:The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

ucf: 1,526 acres, Endowment  $137 million,Motto:Reach for the Stars[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Central_Florida

Edited by gainesvillebull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,085
  • Days Won:  469

It is because of our age as a University, and because we dragged our feet on getting football for so long. Had we added football back in the 1980's or 1970's then we would likely be in the Big 5 by now.

I think we get shat on by the older Universities because of both of these items.

Yeah, just like that school in Orlando that started out in the late 1970s and yet fell behind 1997-born USF in the college football totem poll.

(That means you are wrong.)

orlando school caught usf now that we are in the same conference

That gives you the "rivalry" game you have fawned over in recent years

:doesntaddup:

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting

USF: 1,913 acres,Endowment US$411 million,Motto:Truth and Wisdom

UF: 2,000 acres Endowment US $1.295 billion,Motto:The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

ucf: 1,526 acres, Endowment  $137 million,Motto:Reach for the Stars[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Central_Florida

USF's main campus (the block between Fowler & Fletcher, BBD & 50th) is roughly 900 acres.  USF also owns that undeveloped "EcoArea" north of Fletcher (area between golf course and Hillsborough River) which is roughly 770 acres.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

UCLA too? In the end it doesn't matter if your the Univeristy of Southern Western East Rhode Island, you win some BCS or big bowl games yearly...everyone knows your name.

ok, UCLA is directional. i stand corrected. 

LA isn't a direction .... USC is the only deal buster.

By that definition, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Fresno State, UTSA, and SDSU are not directional schools. not many folks would agree with you there...

A city isn't a direction and those you mentioned aren't directional. I guess you would call them locational ... Bottom line in all this is that there is a directional school in a Power 5 conference, no matter what the definition.

Anyone OTHER than a fellow grammar nazi would consider all of those "directional" and would NOT consider USC in that category.

It's not about grammar, it's about image.

Wait for it...

Perception IS reality!!

:roflmao:

Now I got it .... Basically, there are no "directional" schools in the Power 5 because, it appears, the definition of a "directional" school does not include BCS/Power 5 ...

No. Let me explain. A "directional" school is not necessarily a school with a direction like north or east in its name. It is directional if it has these characteristics:

1) Is a public institution

2) Is part of a system in which there is a flagship institution and the school in question is not the flagship.

3) it has a direction in its name that is NOT a part of the name of the state.

Thus, USC is not a directional university because it is not a public institution.

North Carolina is not a directional university because "north" is part of the name of the state.

UCLA is not a directional university because by the formal UC system designation, it is recognized as a flagship along with UC-Berkley.

However, schools like UCF, USF, and ECU are directional, because they meet all three criteria. Those three criteria collectively have a stigma attached to them because they imply subordination to another school in the system, e.g., USF to UF, ECU to UNC, etc.

Schools with the word "tech" or "state" also face a lesser stigma, since they too are subordinate to the flagship, unless they also are the flagship in their system, such as Penn State, Ohio State, and LSU.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

UCLA too? In the end it doesn't matter if your the Univeristy of Southern Western East Rhode Island, you win some BCS or big bowl games yearly...everyone knows your name.

By that definition, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Fresno State, UTSA, and SDSU are not directional schools. not many folks would agree with you there...

A city isn't a direction and those you mentioned aren't directional. I guess you would call them locational ... Bottom line in all this is that there is a directional school in a Power 5 conference, no matter what the definition.

Anyone OTHER than a fellow grammar nazi would consider all of those "directional" and would NOT consider USC in that category.

Wait for it...

Perception IS reality!!

Now I got it .... Basically, there are no "directional" schools in the Power 5 because, it appears, the definition of a "directional" school does not include BCS/Power 5 ...

No. Let me explain. A "directional" school is not necessarily a school with a direction like north or east in its name. It is directional if it has these characteristics:

2) Is part of a system in which there is a flagship institution and the school in question is not the flagship.

Thus, USC is not a directional university because it is not a public institution.

North Carolina is not a directional university because "north" is part of the name of the state.

UCLA is not a directional university because by the formal UC system designation, it is recognized as a flagship along with UC-Berkley.

However, schools like UCF, USF, and ECU are directional, because they meet all three criteria. Those three criteria collectively have a stigma attached to them because they imply subordination to another school in the system, e.g., USF to UF, ECU to UNC, etc.

Schools with the word "tech" or "state" also face a lesser stigma, since they too are subordinate to the flagship, unless they also are the flagship in their system, such as Penn State, Ohio State, and LSU.

This.  This is the definition I use.  Also, schools named after cities (University of Pittsburgh, University of Cincinatti) don't count as "directional" either.  Although you could say that there is also a bit of a stigma attached to those city-named universities, too.  Makes them sound more commuter-ish. 

Either way, based on whatever definition you use, UConn is the next in line for the big boy table because they are the flagship school of their state.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Isn't Princeton a city named school?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Wait for it...

Perception IS reality!!

Either way, based on whatever definition you use, UConn is the next in line for the big boy table because they are the flagship school of their state.

Yes, but I would say it also depends in part on who the expanding conference is. If it is the B1G, then i expect UConn to have a huge advantage over USF and Cincy, because the B1G has historically shown a huge preference for flagships. But the ACC has not, as evidenced by their invitations to Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt over UConn.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Wait for it...

Perception IS reality!!

If someone is going though that much trouble to stigmatize us, they're trying too hard.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

UCONN is absolutely NOT a candidate for the B1G.

Only those schools on this list will be considered. Full stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Membership

Public (34)

Private (26)

Canadian (2)

Former members

Departed as a result of "institutional emphases and energies" that differed from the other AAU members.[8]

Departed because of a shift in the AAU's emphasis to large research universities.[9]

Removed from the AAU.[7] Chancellor Harvey Perlman claimed that the lack of an on-campus medical school (the Medical Center is a separate campus of the University of Nebraska system), and the AAU's disregarding of USDA-funded agricultural research in its metrics, hurt the university's performance in the association's internal ranking system.[6] In 2010 Perlman stated that had Nebraska not been part of the AAU, the Big Ten would likely not have invited it to become the athletic conference's 12th member.[2]

Because of a dispute over how to count non-Federal grants, Syracuse voluntarily withdrew from the AAU in 2011. The Chronicle of Higher Education
reported that after "...it became clear that Syracuse wouldn't meet the
association's revised membership criteria, university officials decided
that they would leave the organization voluntarily, rather than face a
vote like Nebraska's, and notified the leadership of their intentions."[10]

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Lotta **** rules for "directional" ....