• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference Realignment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

I also think NCSU is overrated. People have them being a "no-brainer" to the SEC, while "FSU and Miami are unworthy." But, we and UCF each have more college football fans than NC State.

NC State makes a ton of sense if you are the SEC and you are trying to increase your TV VIEWERSHIP and MARKET SHARE. The SEC already has enough eyeballs on it in Florida.

There's an awful lot of money to be made by expanding into North Carolina.

Watch, NC State attendance will EXPLODE if they get the invite.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Should the SEC bring in projects?

2. There is probably more money in adding Syracuse and/or Pitt.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Ummmm I don't think the SEC needs "market share" they are a coast to coast watched product

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I also think NCSU is overrated. People have them being a "no-brainer" to the SEC, while "FSU and Miami are unworthy." But, we and UCF each have more college football fans than NC State.

Absolutely true.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

VaTech and NCState are the best fits for the SEC. NC State has a rabid, southern fan base (edit: of smokers) and is an academic fit. 

Edited by hm101

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The SEC has been probably the most logical when adding their schools. Other than Vanderbilt, which is the metropolitan based (using that loosely with Nashville), private, academic pillar of the SEC, their schools are usually in a college-oriented town with little to no pro sports influences, and by default those state schools have some decent central locations.

College Station, Columbia, Columbia, Fayetteville, Starkville, Oxford, Baton Rouge, Athens, Gainesville, Knoxville, Lexington, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn are all podunk college towns that live and breathe their respective alma mater. Their fanbases are thus college oriented and fairly rabid. Their gameday atmospheres reflect that. Their fanbases aren't all huge (UK, Vandy come to mind), but they show up for their games.

Looking at candidates, Raleigh fits that mold. Durham could. Chapel Hill could. Blacksburg certainly does. Even Morgantown would.

Like I said, I don't particularly care for NC State. They're not world beaters as of recent times. But what surprised me is even when USF went up there and beat them down 41-10 or something, they had fans in the stands (in the rain I think too). People go to their basketball games. They have time/establishment on their side. I don't know which ends up there, but I can all but guess UNC or NCSU will be in the SEC at some point during the next wave of realignment.

EDIT - I would argue that Clemson would be the BEST fit for the SEC overall, way more so than FSU. They fall into the same guidelines as the other schools mentioned, the big thing they have going against them is South Carolina's opposition a la Georgia and Florida's oppositions to their respective in-state rival schools. Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama get to keep their two-teams-per-state since they're grandfathered in and part of history. Had Clemson gotten in before USC, it would be a different story.

Edited by Danm1983

The SEC has been probably the most logical when adding their schools. Other than Vanderbilt, which is the metropolitan based (using that loosely with Nashville), private, academic pillar of the SEC, their schools are usually in a college-oriented town with little to no pro sports influences, and by default those state schools have some decent central locations.

College Station, Columbia, Columbia, Fayetteville, Starkville, Oxford, Baton Rouge, Athens, Gainesville, Knoxville, Lexington, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn are all podunk college towns that live and breathe their respective alma mater. Their fanbases are thus college oriented and fairly rabid. Their gameday atmospheres reflect that. Their fanbases aren't all huge (UK, Vandy come to mind), but they show up for their games.

Looking at candidates, Raleigh fits that mold. Durham could. Chapel Hill could. Blacksburg certainly does. Even Morgantown would.

Like I said, I don't particularly care for NC State. They're not world beaters as of recent times. But what surprised me is even when USF went up there and beat them down 41-10 or something, they had fans in the stands (in the rain I think too). People go to their basketball games. They have time/establishment on their side. I don't know which ends up there, but I can all but guess UNC or NCSU will be in the SEC at some point during the next wave of realignment.

EDIT - I would argue that Clemson would be the BEST fit for the SEC overall, way more so than FSU. They fall into the same guidelines as the other schools mentioned, the big thing they have going against them is South Carolina's opposition a la Georgia and Florida's oppositions to their respective in-state rival schools. Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama get to keep their two-teams-per-state since they're grandfathered in and part of history. Had Clemson gotten in before USC, it would be a different story.

Ok. NC State is a potential SEC-type cultural school. But, why should they be a "no-brainer" over other universities with national brands, larger fanbases, better locations, and already better fit 'big football' if not SEC culture better?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I'm not saying they're the no brainer. I have UNC fitting in just as well. I am going by rumors that UNC is the B1G target along with UVA. NCSU may not be the first pick among those three, but if UVA/UNC are off the table, they are #1 IMO, err, #2 behind VT (which no one seems opposed to).

FSU/GT/Clemson are off the table as far as I'm concerned. Unless they pull a coup and somehow go after Texas or Oklahoma, I can't see anyone else they're willing to go after. No to Louisville, Cincinnati, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Temple, WVU, USF, UCF, USM, Tulane, Rice, Houston, Miami. Possibilities of Duke exist, I just think NCSU gets in over Duke (and certainly Wake Forest).

Personally, I think the SEC would probably prefer to have UNC since that is "the" University of North Carolina, but perhaps B1G and SEC get into bidding war for UNC, who knows.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,713
  • Days Won:  424

... in the state of Florida.

... in the state of Florida.

There was a national survey that estimated USF and UCF as having larger football fanbases than NCSU.

I know it might be hard to believe they are ahead of an ACC member. But, it actually makes sense, as Florida is about twice as populous as North Carolina and more football-oriented.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

NC State makes a ton of sense if you are the SEC and you are trying to increase your TV VIEWERSHIP and MARKET SHARE. The SEC already has enough eyeballs on it in Florida.

There's an awful lot of money to be made by expanding into North Carolina.

Watch, NC State attendance will EXPLODE if they get the invite.

1. Should the SEC bring in projects?

2. There is probably more money in adding Syracuse and/or Pitt.

1. No more of a 'project' than Missouri, I think. The last time the Tigers won a conference was 1969. Since then, in the 16 they were in the B12, the Tigers made the CCG twice.

- Before that, they weren't setting the world on fire. 

- NC State hasn't been that great either, to tell the truth.

2. Please. Upstate New York and Northwestern PA in the SEC? Really, dude? Hell, why don't we start applying to the PAC then?

- This is all about forming viable networks with 'brand' names and being able to charge more to cable companies for carriage. It makes an AWFUL LOT of $en$e to add a school from NC and

VA to the SEC. The SEC can add practically any 'brand' from the south it wants. It makes sense for the SEC to concentrate on the SOUTHEAST. They are not as desperate as the B12 was

when they added WVA. 

-  Personally, I can see a situation a lot like what moved A&M to the SEC. NC State would LOVE to move out of UNC's shadow, I think. Going to the SEC is a great way to do that.

• Upvote 1