• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Jeremy Fowler

â€@JFowlerCBS

Hearing ESPN hasn't yet countered NBC with Big East TV deal offer, but with numbers reportedly in $20M range, thinking ESPN at least matches

Gotta consider the exposure and promotion we'll get from NBC, versus being Mickey Mouse's whipping boy
----------------------------------------------------------------

I think exposure would be better on ESPN. We need it, so future recruits and casual fans can watch games or probably even highlights of the conferences games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

For those who say winning solves everything:has did it do so for Boise State? Houston? Hawaii? Did a history of it save SMU?

Did winning BCS games cause Rutgers to get into the so-called Power 5? Is that how Syracuse got in?

No. TCU won, but they lucked out that the conference landscape stormed just right for them. Winning is far from everything, though it would be nice to have in case of future alignment shakedowns.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I hate ESPN passionately. I would like to see us start something with a competitor. ESPN has screwed our conference enough. I'd rather we take an initial hit in exposure (if that's the case) and risk greater reward later. Down with the machine! Rebel! Revolt! ESPN should be challenged. Its abuses as the big dog that nobody wants to divorce are too great... I for one have had enough. I quit watching that stupid channel a long time ago, and I'm quick to express my displeasure at it's treatment of our conference. Embrace the underdog mentality we are historically known for. I'll take David over this Goliath.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

For those who say winning solves everything:has did it do so for Boise State? Houston? Hawaii? Did a history of it save SMU?

Did winning BCS games cause Rutgers to get into the so-called Power 5? Is that how Syracuse got in?

No. TCU won, but they lucked out that the conference landscape stormed just right for them. Winning is far from everything, though it would be nice to have in case of future alignment shakedowns.

----------------------------------------------------------------

To reinforce your point. TCU also got in with its location. The Dallas-Ft. Worth media market is large and probably important for Oklahoma's exposure in the state of Texas. The Texas members also benefit with a presence in the area.

Another likely factor is convenience. They did not have to wait 27 months or negotiate a more expensive exit fee.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Any chance the economy had something to do with that? IMO winning will bring the fans and the excitement back.

The largest jump in average attendance was from 2006 to 2007 - nearly a +/- 22K jump and he largest drop in average attendance was from 2009 to 2010, somewhere in the +/- 12K region. It is my contention that winning, coupled with opponents of interest, are what bring people to RayJ. I can't attribute the economy to that, otherwise the 2008 to 2011 period should see a more severe drop. Our pitch, from day one, was that we were on an upward trajectory. It is also my contention that with the drop in competition there will be an associated drop in attendance/interest. I think there will be a core of around 30K that are there through thick and thin, but to 'AVERAGE  50K', we would really have to have a steady diet of big name programs visiting. However, winning - regardless of conference affiliation - would have a positive impact on turnstile usage. 

Wooly - I just want to add something. If you look at our attendance numbers during the Big East years. You will see that the odd numbered years we were up, and even numbered years we were down (with 2012 as an exception, because of FSU).

Winning certainly plays a part, but schedule does as well. Odd years we hosted Louisville, WVU, the 2 UCF games and Miami (not all of them, but all Miami games in Tampa were in odd years).

The even years the home schedule was not as strong (except 2012 thanks to FSU). When I worked in ticket sales, the odd vs. even years was the single biggest factor for average attendance. Yes there are other things that matter like winning, game times and days of the week .... but home schedule was always the biggest factor.

That's what I was pointing to by the phrase "coupled with opponents of interest,". 

I don't see our upcoming CUSA-II foes as being the teams that are going to draw the same as L'ville, WVU & Pitt. 

The schedule does impact attendance, perhaps more so at USF than you would see elsewhere because of the availability of

tickets to 'casual' fans. You probably have a lot of WV/Pitt/L'ville fans down here that would show up for that game

but have no real interest Uconn or Rutgers, so when the better teams are home, the more the turnstile gets flipped. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Makes you wonder how the fans of FIU and FAU feel. They have new programs, they are in Florida, have large student bodies. Why can't they be in the top their of schools with all the Florida talent? Heck, they even have OCSs and are close to Miami.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Makes you wonder how the fans of FIU and FAU feel. They have new programs, they are in Florida, have large student bodies. Why can't they be in the top their of schools with all the Florida talent? Heck, they even have OCSs and are close to Miami.

Yes, but they haven't been ranked #2

Sometimes I think that was the absolute WORST thing that could have ever happened to us, since it setup unrealistic expectations for our fanbase.

Other times I think that was the absolute BERST thing that could have ever happened to us, since it setup unrealistic expectations for our fanbase. :D

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Yes, but they haven't been ranked #2

Sometimes I think that was the absolute WORST thing that could have ever happened to us, since it setup unrealistic expectations for our fanbase.

Other times I think that was the absolute BERST thing that could have ever happened to us, since it setup unrealistic expectations for our fanbase. :D

USF has only gotten top 25  votes (less than 20) in two post season polls. That about equals FIU and FAU.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

How about regular season slick

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

The following entities have declared war against ESPN and lost.

SportsChannel

CNN/SI.

FSN National - Fox's first attempt (now Fox Soccer).

OLN.

Versus (Rebranded OLN by Comcast).

It's great that people want to throw money into cable sports networks, and one day maybe one will work, but the history isn't there. Especially if 3 (CBS, NBC, and fOX) all start up together.

At least NBC is throwing not so much money that it will fail.  Looks like a smart move to me.  If the league stays togeather then in a couple of years they can adjust money and the 70 million plus exit fee money should keep the teams in good shape for a couple three more years.