• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt headed to the superbowl.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

The assertion that Nicholas was solely responsible for our high level of penalties while he was at USF and/or responsible for the outcome of yesterday's game is absurd.

As for the latter, first off I think it was a bad call, since they were both scuffling. Second, keep in mind that was in the first half when the Falcons had the opportunity to adjust thereafter, but didn't.

Nicholas was one of our best defensive players ever. You might want to remember that.

That wasn't the assertion...at all. The assertion was that Leavitt's teams often shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Was among the top penalized teams in college Division 1. Where did Nicholas go to school? Who was his coach? Where was his coach during the Falcon's game? Those were the only assertions I made and to imply that I meant that Nicholas was the reason USF was the most penalized D1 team is absurd. I said it must have been deja vu for Leavitt. It obviously was a both a just call and most inopportune time regardless if a SF player did the same thing later and wasn't penalized.

I got what you were saying until you threw in the following post making a link between Nicholas being on the team and us being the worst in the nation in penalties. Just curious, but why make that link if you weren't making that assertion? Not sure why you're seemingly anti-Nicholas and anti-Leavitt, but no worries...

One of silliest threads ever, parts regarding Nicholas.

2003, Nicholas's freshman year. USF, first in the nation with the most penalties. I don't know how anyone could forget all the penalties from back then. Who gets the first huge penalty, a personal foul, for the Falcons? A former Bull. With his college coach sitting on the other sideline. That is all I am saying, silly or not.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The assertion that Nicholas was solely responsible for our high level of penalties while he was at USF and/or responsible for the outcome of yesterday's game is absurd.

As for the latter, first off I think it was a bad call, since they were both scuffling. Second, keep in mind that was in the first half when the Falcons had the opportunity to adjust thereafter, but didn't.

Nicholas was one of our best defensive players ever. You might want to remember that.

That wasn't the assertion...at all. The assertion was that Leavitt's teams often shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Was among the top penalized teams in college Division 1. Where did Nicholas go to school? Who was his coach? Where was his coach during the Falcon's game? Those were the only assertions I made and to imply that I meant that Nicholas was the reason USF was the most penalized D1 team is absurd. I said it must have been deja vu for Leavitt. It obviously was a both a just call and most inopportune time regardless if a SF player did the same thing later and wasn't penalized.

I got what you were saying until you threw in the following post making a link between Nicholas being on the team and us being the worst in the nation in penalties. Just curious, but why make that link if you weren't making that assertion? Not sure why you're seemingly anti-Nicholas and anti-Leavitt, but no worries...

One of silliest threads ever, parts regarding Nicholas.

2003, Nicholas's freshman year. USF, first in the nation with the most penalties. I don't know how anyone could forget all the penalties from back then. Who gets the first huge penalty, a personal foul, for the Falcons? A former Bull. With his college coach sitting on the other sideline. That is all I am saying, silly or not.

Penalties held back Leavitt's teams. Penalties were key to the Falcons not making the playoffs. If Leavitt wasn't on one sideline and one of his former players on the other (regardless of who), I wouldn't have made it.

Edited by slick1ru2

What's unfortunate about this is, since Leavitt was fired, his career has been ascending and our program has been descending. Hopefully we can get back up from our fall too!

Not entirely true.

ndusf.jpg

Meineke_Bowl_Football_5_t607.jpg

I didn't say we haven't had any success the last three years. I said we've been descending/regressing and CJL's been ascending/progressing. Here, let me outline it:

2010: USF has quality wins over Rutgers, Louisville and Miami and wins the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Record is 8-5. GOOD YEAR OVERALL.

Jim Leavitt is out of a job and in litigation. BAD YEAR OVERALL.

2011: USF has one quality win over Notre Dame. USF doesn't make bowl and has its third losing season. Record is 5-7. SUB-PAR YEAR OVERALL.

Jim Leavitt is hired by San Francisco, which makes it to the NFC Championship game. DECENT YEAR OVERALL.

2012: USF has zero quality wins, doesn't make bowl and has its fourth losing season. Coach loses job and USF is in crumbling conference. Record is 3-9. AWFUL YEAR OVERALL.

Jim Leavitt's linebacking corps has three all-pros and team is headed to the Super Bowl. May win Super Bowl ring. GREAT YEAR OVERALL.

And I didn't say USF didn't go down hill. There were historic wins during Holtz term year one and the beginning of year two and then the slide started. People want to remember Holtz as a total failure, he wasn't. There were bright parts of his time at USF.

Edited by slick1ru2

We suck and Jimbo made it to super bowl....

What's unfortunate about this is, since Leavitt was fired, his career has been ascending and our program has been descending. Hopefully we can get back up from our fall too!

Not entirely true.

So Jimbo's Team Beats Clemson and We won a game with like 7  weather Delay's and then do not win another meaningful game that season. 

In summary We suck and Jimbo is going to win a SB.... ****

So when CWT wins this upcoming season, you are going to characterize it as him winning with Holtz's team? Why do I seriously doubt that?

Edited by slick1ru2

Jim Leavitt loving life in Northern California 12:52 AM, Jan 23, 2013   |   0  comments
130123125154_Leavitt_Jim_ci.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • icnShareNetworkGray.gif
  • icnShareEmailGray.gif
  • icnSharePrintGray.gif
  • - A A A +

Santa Clara, CA-- Former USF head coach Jim Leavitt is loving life in Northern California, as his San Francisco 49ers prepare for Super Bowl XLVII.

"We've been grinding for 2 days already," Leavitt told 10 News in a telephone interview on Tuesday.  "I'm just taking a little break from watching tape of the Ravens and Joe Flacco."

With the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl again, the team's linebackers coach is in a terrific situation.  He's coaching for a guy he really likes in Jim Harbaugh, on an outstanding team.  The NFL has really worked out well for him, after a rocky end to his 13-year career at USF.

"I had a few opportunities in college, but when Jim Harbaugh called, I wanted to experience the NFL," Leavitt told 10 News.   "The 49ers are such a great organization, and I'm very close to Eddie DeBartolo and his daughter Lisa, and that connection is very good for me."

As much as Leavitt likes the 49ers, would he ever consider a return to a college head coaching job?"

"I've been offered some head jobs in Division 1, but it just hasn't been the right fit for me.  Right now, I'm loving California,  I like the NFL, the coaches are great, I really enjoy Coach Harbaugh.  But if the right thing came along, then yes, I would.. andI feel like I'll be coaching another 30 or 40 years."

The 49ers will face the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII, Sunday, Feb. 3, in New Orleans.  The game will be seen on CBS and 10 News, with a 6:30pm kickoff.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Go Jim Go!

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

Not entirely true.

ndusf.jpg

I didn't say we haven't had any success the last three years. I said we've been descending/regressing and CJL's been ascending/progressing. Here, let me outline it:

2010: USF has quality wins over Rutgers, Louisville and Miami and wins the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Record is 8-5. GOOD YEAR OVERALL.

2011: USF has one quality win over Notre Dame. USF doesn't make bowl and has its third losing season. Record is 5-7. SUB-PAR YEAR OVERALL.

Jim Leavitt is hired by San Francisco, which makes it to the NFC Championship game. DECENT YEAR OVERALL.

2012: USF has zero quality wins, doesn't make bowl and has its fourth losing season. Coach loses job and USF is in crumbling conference. Record is 3-9. AWFUL YEAR OVERALL.

Jim Leavitt's linebacking corps has three all-pros and team is headed to the Super Bowl. May win Super Bowl ring. GREAT YEAR OVERALL.

And I didn't say USF didn't go down hill. There were historic wins during Holtz term year one and the beginning of year two and then the slide started. People want to remember Holtz as a total failure, he wasn't. There were bright parts of his time at USF.

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

What were the historic wins in Holtz first year?? We had won at Rutgers before- our first year playing them.

We beat Louisville when they were actually a ranked team.

Clemson win- they were a 6-6 team with

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Not entirely true.

ndusf.jpg

:facepalm:

No clue why you're face palming there. What he said was true whether the haters want to admit it or not ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Trip is right.  He certainly wasn't a total failure.