• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hope the coaches are recruiting heavily

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

CWT doesn't think very much of the recruiting sites

i dont believe that for a second

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Taggart and his coaches are recruit aholics. They are out and doing the best they can after a 3-9 season by the previous coach.

As for recruiting sites, pay more attention to offers and rankings, and even then nothing is for certain.

we will see results

talk is cheap

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

You guys should join 247sports. Especially those wondering about recruiting.

30 day free trial, signing day in 23 days. Might as well, right?

-----

On topic, class is shaping up a lot better than it looked like it would. Taggart is doing a good job. As for last year? Best pickup seems to be Price, far and wide. Definitely a talented kid.

Nice family, too. Helped his grandfather start his car at the Steak n' Shake on Fowler after the syracuse game.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Taggart and his coaches are recruit aholics. They are out and doing the best they can after a 3-9 season by the previous coach.

As for recruiting sites, pay more attention to offers and rankings, and even then nothing is for certain.

we will see results

talk is cheap

REALLY ?  Talk is cheap.  I find that amusing coming from a lawyer.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

This is Holtz's class that Taggart is mopping up.  Plz don't judge Taggart on this class.  If anything, he's pulled our three best commitments in the class with Godwin, Fennel and Swain.
I'd say a QB in Orlando might disagree.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201

Stars matter. Look at the final rankings top 10 teams each year. The majority have higher ranked recruits in prior years. Yes sometimes the stars are off. But overall it is a decent system and they do matter.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

Stars matter. Look at the final rankings top 10 teams each year. The majority have higher ranked recruits in prior years. Yes sometimes the stars are off. But overall it is a decent system and they do matter.

Sure they matter. The question is - how direct a correlation is there between starts and success? I'd say your chances for success increase the higher your classes are ranked (on average per year). But, to say that one MUST have highly ranked classes every year is a bit too much.

Incidentally, I think this is what CWT meant, even if he didn't articulate it well. He's not going to "chase stars," and simply accept what a recruiting site says about a player. He and his staff are going to conduct their own evaluations. Obviously, in many cases, the recruiting sites will rank a player high or low, and CWT's own personal evaluation will match what the recruiting site came up with. But there are also players that CWT will recruit because they fit his system, even if a recruiting site doesn't think too much of them.

I'm 100% on board with that approach. I think CWT CAN be very successful in the NBE with it. Will he? Only time will tell.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

great programs and great coaches get players with the most stars. it's backward looking. you need to have success first and then you will magically start getting the stars. programs that have been average or below will not get stars even if it turns out they are able to win big with them like TCU, Boise, Cincy, etc.  it's a chiken and egg thing.

Bowden said trying to win the recruiting rankings killed his program. he wasn't evaluating them himself. he thought as long as his classes were highly rated then he would be successful. he got lazy.

I'm no recruiting service but even I'm smart enough to put alabama, uf, fsu, ND, etc in my top 10 revruit rankings.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

As I pointed out in another thread, the recruiting sites are often wrong and over look talent. Some examples, George Selvie, NR, Justin Blackmon was a 3 star WR, Chris Johnson 1 star, Colin Kaepernick 2 star. The number of high school recruits rated 3 stars and under by these websites that go one to be star college athletes is huge. They also go the other way too, over rating players. That's why its up to the coaching staff to get to rate these players.

+1
This is typical talk from a fan of a team with a crappy class so far. Bottom line is, this class is underwhelming so far. Hopefully, the staff can pick it up soon. Oh, and stars do matter and it's easy to play the exception game when you want to make people feel better.

What exactly are you talking about? Who is talking specifically about this class. This was said in response to all the best recruits will be snatched up by the best schools. There are more great athletes than scholarships, you just have to find them. CWT is going to evaluate them himself, not relying on Scout or Rivals, who have been proven WRONG, repeatedly. How about getting on the same page as the rest of us?

This whole thread is related to our current class even if it's not directly stated so. I'm talking about a class that is below average so far and there's no disputing that. I'm sure coach CWT is doing a fine job evaluating talent, but he hasn't had enough time and this class will be average at best because of this. If being on the same page as the rest of you is accepting an average class, then I'll pass. I'm rooting for the guy though and I hope I'm wrong.

We're, at best, an average program so why wouldn't we be getting, alleged, average recruiting classes .... and besides, what other option do we have other than accepting it??

You've gotten a little over the top with this, or you truly are depressed.

That is not the mindset this program was built on, nor one it will ever have. Fortunately, like some athletes, we were "born" with intangibles. Winning is all it will take to get this program back on track.

Edited by CRBULL

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594

This is Holtz's class that Taggart is mopping up.  Plz don't judge Taggart on this class.  If anything, he's pulled our three best commitments in the class with Godwin, Fennel and Swain.

I'd say a QB in Orlando might disagree.

That QB in Orlando is not a commit.