• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Boise State shakiness rumors persist

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

EcoNerd. The only problem with what you suggested is I really don't expect Cincy and UConn to be staying here long term. I still think they could both end up in the ACC. Cincy can hold it's own in football and decent basketball and Uconn will be back in basketball and football they can be the next Duke. And they already have been sucking up, so it's probably going to pay off eventually. If they bail, you still liking those road games with them being replaced with Ark State and La Tech?

I don't know if there are any 2 road games that I would "like."

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I'd rather play Temple than Southern Alabama, at least Temple has good basketball. If you think UConn and Cincy are so great that they'll fit in somewhere, why the hell not us? If I had to swallow this huge turd of a "new worst ever conference" it'd be more like econerds:

CINCINNATI

CONNECTICUT

SOUTH FLORIDA

UCF

SOUTH. METHODIST

HOUSTON

EAST CAROLINA

NAVY

TEMPLE

Choice of:

LOUISIANA TECH(Greatly improved over the past 4 years)

ARKANSAS ST. (Greatly improved over the past 4 years)

even after that, it'd still suck and I refuse to accept that we will have to do so. This University is putting far too much into our athletics program to let us fall along the wayside. Obviously we have been in talks with at least the ACC, just because we don't put it out there like cincy does...doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The sad part about all of this is that they might not be given a choice.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'm at the point I say let's blow up the Big East, Conference USA and Sunbelt and be the leader to drive the bus towards a new conference that makes sense GEOGRAPHICALLY, like a Southeastern Conference "Light".

It would have more of a draw for local players than a conference like we have now and we throw in Army/Navy for a little spice.

It could look something like this:

Division A

USF

UCF

FIU

FAU

ECU

Army

Division B

Memphis

UAB

USA (South Alabama) (watching them locally here, they remind me of USF back in a day. They're growing support quickly in this football crazy area)

Troy

Western Kentucky

Navy

I'm open to suggestions as to the exact teams obviously to fill it out, but you see the theory behind it. There's a lot of rivlaries inherent in alot of those pairings already both with the FL teams and AL teams. If you needed more schools you could expand a little to Louisiana and get Tulane, ULL or ULM, Houston, SMU etc.

i am going to vomit

what a terrible conference

if usf doesnt get an invitation to big 5 they should drop football

playing wvu and troy doesnt justify spending the kind of money usf is spending

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

And to that I say BULL**** econerd.

This thread is far too depressing for me to continue to endure

Let's go on the UF board and ask what they'd do if they had to join C*USA. My guess? They'd rather die by fire first.

here's a more pathetically realistic view:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1441061-college-football-expansion-what-will-become-of-the-big-east-conference

(yes I know the source is BR)

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Hem, trust me, I'm hoping we can be more like 2007 than 1996, but this was a "what if scenario". The problem with USF as we've seen already is we are NEVER AHEAD OF THE CONFERENCE ALIGNMENT CURVE. We are always reacting. If the sky falls, we better already have a plan bc right now, you are already seeing what it is and right now I think this sucks. Did you look at that schedule? Take out the teams that are leaving and you have a glimpse at what's left and it sucks now and the geography blows and most likely will get worse. Shoot, this season already was tough watching TEMPLE! Are you kidding me? Temple? What did you use to get "up" for that game?

Would you rather USF play Temple and similar universities or regional FCS teams in-conference?

Ideally, I'd like to see us in the SEC which will never happen so then it comes down to the ACC which still doesn't look likely.

Then I look at the Big East and most likely you're about to see Cincy/Uconn still go which will then lead to Boise State most likely leaving bc it would make no sense for them to stay. Then you'd see SDSU bolt as well. What you'd be left with is the CUSA and Sun Belt being raided but going under the banner of the Big East and that's only if the basketball schools don't take that!

Like it or not, unless USF gets into the ACC SOON, we are already in CUSA/Sun Belt, but with a few "outliers" geographically that aren't worth the trips for all sports. If that's the case, you have to start thinking about how to market USF bc we don't have the appeal to go independent. If we're going to add members might as well make it geographically friendly is my point.

Rivalries are best when you play someone and they care. There's something on the line even when you both suck. How many teams in what remains of the Big East can we say that about?

Moral of this story, let's hope we get the hell out of this conference and into the ACC or the choices for the future aren't going to be good.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Let's go on the UF board and ask what they'd do if they had to join C*USA. My guess? They'd rather die by fire first.

Again with he comparing of our situation to programs like UF ... Some need to get a ******* grip on reality ... no matter how unpleasant that may be.

• Upvote 1

Again with he comparing of our situation to programs like UF ... Some need to get a ******* grip on reality ... no matter how unpleasant that may be.

Did I compare us to UF in athletics? Or did I ask what UF(INSERT ANY SEC SCHOOL HERE INSTEAD IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER) would do if they were told to drop 2 or 3 spots on the conference prominence level? I believe I said the latter.

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Did I compare us to UF in athletics? Or did I ask what UF(INSERT ANY SEC SCHOOL HERE INSTEAD IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER) would do if they were told to drop 2 or 3 spots on the conference prominence level? I believe I said the latter.

There is a ZERO chance of that happening to them so trying to gauge how they would react to a nonsensical scenario is ridiculous ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

What if the rest of the conferences are just waiting for the BE to implode before picking the remaining teams up? With the basketball schools on their own, that would leave USF, UConn, and CIncy in a raft in the middle of the ocean. Their choices: Apply to CUSA/Sun Belt/whatever conf, or get invited by a higher conference. I assume these decisions will be made before the 3 schools are out on their butts, but maybe they are waiting because there is no wait period and no exit fee if this happens? If it happens now, money must be paid and time must be waited. Maybe they are trying to save us(and maybe themselves for those willing to pony up exit fee money) from paying a few million and waiting an arbitrary amount of time. Kind of like just picking up a free agent in fantasy football when you have an open roster spot. You dont have to wait the waiver period and you dont have to give up another player(exit fee) for them.

Just throwing a thought into the river.

I didn't ask you if there was a chance of it happening or not. I asked what they'd(any Power 5 team) do if they were told to drop 2 or 3 spots, just like us, in their conference prominence levels. My guess is that any team with respect for themselves would rather go independent and stack their schedule with big name teams or pack it in before they'd join some sh^t conference.

I hope you're right Ghost, I am willing to bet that Judy and DW are working hard to get us out of this conference. I just hope they can accomplish it. Hell, it may have been a selling point to Coach T