• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Between a Rock and Hard Spot...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Jim Tressel must sit out 1st 5 games and any bowl if applicable in 1st season. Hiring school must provide their case as to why Tressel should not be punished further, something called "show cause"? Doubt Woolard would want to deal with all this. Though Tressel would immediately raise our profile and recruits would fall over each other trying to sign for us. Might not be bad though, he may come cheap with suspensions and all. Question is, are we as a fan base willing to wait 2-3 more years for results. Tressel is shady, but he's a winner.

As long as Tressel passed the show cause a 5 game suspension is peanuts in the grand scheme. Still not sure I like the idea of a retread with no ties to the area. I'm sure tressel would love for USF to shed his show cause and get him back in the game. I'm just not sure it's a good option for USF.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm not saying its not a good job... but that the Big East being downgraded might and will likely scare away the top candidates like Dykes and Quinn.

why? they could triple salary and if the conference is as terrible as you constantly say then it should be easy to win here and move on to better job.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Jim Tressel must sit out 1st 5 games and any bowl if applicable in 1st season. Hiring school must provide their case as to why Tressel should not be punished further, something called "show cause"? Doubt Woolard would want to deal with all this. Though Tressel would immediately raise our profile and recruits would fall over each other trying to sign for us. Might not be bad though, he may come cheap with suspensions and all. Question is, are we as a fan base willing to wait 2-3 more years for results. Tressel is shady, but he's a winner.

Given that we will likely not be able to make a bowl game next season as it is, I don't see any issue with this. We lost what 21 seniors?? Regardless of who we hire next season will be another low year in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Jesus. Let me talk you off the ledge.

Booger went to LSU, and tends to look down on everything else, even other SEC programs.

Reports of the USF job being so down-in-the-dumps are greatly exaggerated. We have confirmed interest from some hot coordinators and coaches. The media is consistently reporting that they are impressed by the pool lining up to interview.

We aren't on top of the world but we are nowhere near the bottom, as some may believe from behind the mic.

True story.

Greg Aumanâ€@gregauman

Folks at @AthlonSports ranked all the college football openings. USF tied for fifth, ahead of Colorado, BC, Purdue. http://ow.ly/fOVXx

much easier to win at USF than those other places. we pay probably close to the same. easier to recruit to and nice city to live in.

Too be fair Boulder, CO is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Boston is pretty hopping as well. Perdue... well, not so much. But I would agree that USF is a better job than all three. I'm kind of surprised NC State was ahead of us, but that's probably a team in a better conference in about the same position than us.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Jesus. Let me talk you off the ledge.

Booger went to LSU, and tends to look down on everything else, even other SEC programs.

Reports of the USF job being so down-in-the-dumps are greatly exaggerated. We have confirmed interest from some hot coordinators and coaches. The media is consistently reporting that they are impressed by the pool lining up to interview.

We aren't on top of the world but we are nowhere near the bottom, as some may believe from behind the mic.

True story.

Greg Aumanâ€@gregauman

Folks at @AthlonSports ranked all the college football openings. USF tied for fifth, ahead of Colorado, BC, Purdue. http://ow.ly/fOVXx

much easier to win at USF than those other places. we pay probably close to the same. easier to recruit to and nice city to live in.

Too be fair Boulder, CO is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Boston is pretty hopping as well. Perdue... well, not so much. But I would agree that USF is a better job than all three. I'm kind of surprised NC State was ahead of us, but that's probably a team in a better conference in about the same position than us.

I wasn't saying Tampa is nicer. just that it's a nice place to live. it's not like being stuck in podunk mississippi or alabama. even a lot of big 12 programs are in tiny towns.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

Given that we will likely not be able to make a bowl game next season as it is, I don't see any issue with this. We lost what 21 seniors?? Regardless of who we hire next season will be another low year in my opinion.

Yeah, Tressel sounds like a good option and his suspensions won't matter much since we arent expecting much next season. For any hire.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not saying its not a good job... but that the Big East being downgraded might and will likely scare away the top candidates like Dykes and Quinn.

I don't think I agree with that line of thinking. The Big East was a stepping stone conference before, and its still a stepping stone conference. Except now, if you believe yourself to be a good coach, its that much more likely that you can be highly successful (and quickly) at a place like USF. To me (as Athlon apparently sees it too), for an up and comer, its probably better to go to a program like USF where the competition isn't so daunting, then take a job like Purdue, Colorado, Kentucky, etc.... where you are up against programs with more money, more history, more resources and have a large head jump on you in the talent department. Take the Colorado job (where you have to pull good recruits from out of state in Cali), and you have to dig yourself out of a canyon to be successful. Take the USF job, and your likely just digging yourself out of a small ditch. Where would you rather go if your goal 5 years from now is to be coaching in the SEC or B1G or Texas, USC, etc.....?

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think I agree with that line of thinking. The Big East was a stepping stone conference before, and its still a stepping stone conference. Except now, if you believe yourself to be a good coach, its that much more likely that you can be highly successful (and quickly) at a place like USF. To me (as Athlon apparently sees it too), for an up and comer, its probably better to go to a program like USF where the competition isn't so daunting, then take a job like Purdue, Colorado, Kentucky, etc.... where you are up against programs with more money, more history, more resources and have a large head jump on you in the talent department. Take the Colorado job (where you have to pull good recruits from out of state in Cali), and you have to dig yourself out of a canyon to be successful. Take the USF job, and your likely just digging yourself out of a small ditch. Where would you rather go if your goal 5 years from now is to be coaching in the SEC or B1G or Texas, USC, etc.....?

EXACTLY. 100% agree. Spend a few years in Tampa picking USF up off the mat. Everything you need to do so is here. Play in an NFL stadium, pick from richest of recruiting grounds. Leave with those connections.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

USF is great job to have. A portion of a coaches time is spent recruiting and going to HS games. A short trip by car is a little bit better than a long road trip or flight. Travelling wears on you after a while. I travel about every week with my job, and I always wish for some local time. I think this, right there coupled in the with the opportunity to win, the opportunity to become a legend (yes, coaches do have egos), and the opportunity to make good money is there. No slap against the other universities in the other conferences, including the SEC; however, why do some coaches go there if you are on a short leash to begin with. This may be why some coaches are asking for guaranteed money contracts. This has to sit in the back of some of these coaches mind.