• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting question/discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Asantii just met with Fitch, said it was a "great" meeting, via his twitter.

Wonder what Fitch said. He's been with holtz for over a decade. I can't imagine he'd be backing up USF to recruits, but maybe I'm wrong.

He is the coach right now. If he werent playing up USF, why even show up? Besides, he had to know it was coming. Losing 12 out of the last 14 BE games? He is lucky he is still here too.

Also, a "great" meeting doesnt necessarily mean good things for USF.

The more I read about Taggart, the more I like. I just hope whoever comes in can make a splash quickly.

Have to agree that WT is growing on me as a candidate. I was really high on Petrino coming into this but the more i read about about WT the more i am swinging this way. Seems to have a sterling rep locally. Hope he is as advertised. and would certainly be a legacy pick here.. . Let's get this done and see what happenshere.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

For recruting purposes Taggert wouldn't hurt.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  370
  • Days Won:  0

I feel WillieT is going to have some pull in the bay area. I thought I already saw Coach Cal made some positive remarks about him? I was a big CJL guy and will always have a spot but he never seemed to pull down the big guns from local HS.

As many have stated, recruiting the talent is one thing but developing is another. You have to have the talent though in order to develop.

I'm willing to endure some lumps and see what this guy is capable of. I'm very curious!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Fine, bring him in as recruiting coordinator, but not as head coach.

We just went through a 3-year experiment with hiring an up-and-coming head coach from a program below us in the hierarchy. How'd that work out, huh?

I'd rather hire an OC or DC from a school above us than another HC from a school below us.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  370

We just went through a 3-year experiment with hiring an up-and-coming head coach from a program below us in the hierarchy. How'd that work out, huh?

I'd rather hire an OC or DC from a school above us than another HC from a school below us.

I see your point but isn't recruiting the HC's job ultimately? He's the deal closer

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I see your point but isn't recruiting the HC's job ultimately? He's the deal closer

"Ultimately" everything is the HC's responsibilty

My knock on Skippy is that he was a terrible game manager, didn't motivate, was unimaginative play-caller (I don't think we faked ONE punt or FG try while he was here), couldn't call a time-out to save his soul, etc, etc.

While those might not kill your team at a low level of competition, they proved deadly at our level.

I want somebody who's been involved in game planning and game mgmt at a higher level than we're at, not from a lower level.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

when looking to evaluate any of our prospective coaches as to their recruiting ability, I think the thing that is critical to consider is, did he get better kids to his school than the program 'deserved'. Quinn getting 4 stars to UF is squat compared to WT getting 2/3 stars to WKU

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185

My ideal situation would be to hire Petrino as HC and then have WT as OC and head coach in waiting. This way we know there will be some consistency and maybe WT can learn a thing or two from Petrino. We all know he won't be here for long but would turn us into a legit team in no time. I'd then hire Mario C. as DC and let him work his Miami connects and use his passion on the sidelines to get our D hyped up like the D we came to love and know. Granted it might sound ridiculous but think about it in terms of Petrino stays for one or two years WT takes over a program ready to compete year in year out and hopefully we will be in a BIG conference before Petrino leaves(main reason in hiring him) and then let the young guys do their thing. I think that would be a winning combo and affordable if we put those stipulations in place. WKU isn't making a big conference anytime soon and WT isn't coaching a team in one anytime soon so bring in the big name and pay your dues for a year or two and inherit a program in the big leagues and the cupboards loaded! To me that would be ideal and if you think about it we have had success with hiring asst. coaches for cheap but to me it's the OC/DC that have made or braked us every yr. If that did happen we would be set! But it's wishful thinking, although you never know considering how much we could pay them considering the incentives we could add in their contract. WT- Head Coach in waiting and MC would become a high profile candidate(BCS school material).

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

My ideal situation would be to hire Petrino as HC and then have WT as OC and head coach in waiting. This way we know there will be some consistency and maybe WT can learn a thing or two from Petrino. We all know he won't be here for long but would turn us into a legit team in no time. I'd then hire Mario C. as DC and let him work his Miami connects and use his passion on the sidelines to get our D hyped up like the D we came to love and know. Granted it might sound ridiculous but think about it in terms of Petrino stays for one or two years WT takes over a program ready to compete year in year out and hopefully we will be in a BIG conference before Petrino leaves(main reason in hiring him) and then let the young guys do their thing. I think that would be a winning combo and affordable if we put those stipulations in place. WKU isn't making a big conference anytime soon and WT isn't coaching a team in one anytime soon so bring in the big name and pay your dues for a year or two and inherit a program in the big leagues and the cupboards loaded! To me that would be ideal and if you think about it we have had success with hiring asst. coaches for cheap but to me it's the OC/DC that have made or braked us every yr. If that did happen we would be set! But it's wishful thinking, although you never know considering how much we could pay them considering the incentives we could add in their contract. WT- Head Coach in waiting and MC would become a high profile candidate(BCS school material).

You people are insane. WT is being talked about for jobs even better than this one and you people think he will come on as an OC or a "coach in waiting"? What are you all smoking? He interviewed with Wisconsin for their HC spot and if he doesn't get picked up now, this dude will be the HC of Stanford one day very soon. Get off your high horses, and put the pipe down.