• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please NO Spread Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

Give me smash mouth any day. Run and shoot tires your D and does not work in adverse weather conditions (which we get at least three times a year).

Tell that to Oregon, Baylor, Texas A&M, K- State, Oklahoma and Auburn fans. See how far that argument gets you

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

I don't care what type of offense we end up running with a new coach, as long as we execute. The teams that win are the teams with flawless execution, regardless of scheme. And FWIW, people may say that Oregon runs a "finesse" or "gimmicky" offense (utterly ridiculous claim), but would any of us around here complain about 3 conference championships and 4 straight BCS bowl appearances? I think not.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I offer with no comments.

Interesting stats: USF 426 Rushing attempts 410 Passing Attempts 50% Rushing, WKU 474 rushes 311 passes 60% rushes, Bama 525 RA 300 PA 63% rushing, Oregon 640 RA 349 PA 64% rushing.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

You are not suggesting Oregon is a smash mouth team?

WKU...They are 7-5 and very medicore team.

BAMA..BEST O-LINE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL..

Oregon..Spread attack with zone blocking scheme is hardly a smash mouth style of running when the defense has to account for the qb equally as much.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

mariota as a freshman qb for oregon threw for 2500 yards 30 td's and 6int...if only we could do those kind of numbers through the air and we run a spread offense. Start to notice what real spread offenses look like and thats with MOBILE QB'S. If those are his stats with 63% rushing..Id hate to see it at 50/50

You are not suggesting Oregon is a smash mouth team?

WKU...They are 7-5 and very medicore team.

BAMA..BEST O-LINE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL..

Oregon..Spread attack with zone blocking scheme is hardly a smash mouth style of running when the defense has to account for the qb equally as much.

NO COMMENT!

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

spread and pro set are formations. you're arguing over base formations. has nothing to do with running or passing the ball. you can be a predominantly running team in either pro set or spread.

I just hope we take the dink and dunk passing as a predominat way of moving the ball out of our offense. holtz and leavitt both liked to strecth the field horizontally with the pass. personally I'm not a big fan. establish the run and stretch the field vertically with passing. I don't care what formation they run it out of.

spread and pro set are formations. you're arguing over base formations. has nothing to do with running or passing the ball. you can be a predominantly running team in either pro set or spread.

I just hope we take the dink and dunk passing as a predominat way of moving the ball out of our offense. holtz and leavitt both liked to strecth the field horizontally with the pass. personally I'm not a big fan. establish the run and stretch the field vertically with passing. I don't care what formation they run it out of.

Regarding the formations, I agree 100% and said as much in the previous post, that I decided to delete because I was tired of being told that you have to run a spread to do certain things. I think that people are mistaking the spread (a formation) with the run-n-gun (an actual offensive philosophy). JMHO

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  639

I'm just hoping for a pro-style DEFENSE - one in which we actually cover the opposition's players, tackle the ball carrier, and force turnovers. I like the spread offense better and think it suits our skill players, but if Matt Floyd is going to be our QB, we would be better off lining up under center and handing the ball off.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  50

This idea that we have to have giant offensive lineman to run a pro-style offense is being exaggerated:

http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sports-blogs/rene-nadeau/585378-size-matters-sometimes-a-look-at-college-footballs-offensive-lines.html

The average difference between a BE line and and SEC line was only 7 lbs, and the reason they're bigger is mostly because they train to be. The offense dictates lineman size more than lineman size dictates offense.

We can run a pro-style offense with no problem, just some adjustments. WKU had the 23rd heaviest line in all college football heading into this year. WKU! If they can recruit and train big linemen at Western Kentucky, we can do it at USF.

I'd like to see us run a pro-style offense and I think we can do it.