• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches you would like to see replace Skip (If he leaves)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

He is completely a USF offense coach.

I want to get excited by the Defense again. Remember when these supposed offensive juggernauts like WVU would go against us and our D would level the playing field with fundamentals?

He would hire a decent defensive coordinator as well.

Greg Mattison would make a good HC in your opinion then? I think we should make him an offer as well.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Here is a name thats going out there a bit. Tony Franklin, the OC at La Tech. Says John Hannah (Pro Football Hall of Famer, OG) "If two teams have equal talent, this offense is impossible to stop." he has head coaching experience at the HS level, thats how he got into college coaching.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332

Tressel. Proven winner and may come cheap as he is damaged goods also. Doubt it though. I can dream.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Tressel. Proven winner and may come cheap as he is damaged goods also. Doubt it though. I can dream.

That would be too perfect. Only downside is his age and the issue that follows him with his suspension crap. If it wasn't for those two factors he would be my #1 candidate. Hiring him would immediately bring in better recruits.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097

Tressel is a solid coach, but I don't like the thought of him as I'd be afraid he'd use us as a stepping stone for bigger things.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

That would be too perfect. Only downside is his age and the issue that follows him with his suspension crap. If it wasn't for those two factors he would be my #1 candidate. Hiring him would immediately bring in better recruits.

If it wasn't those two things, he wouldn't be available ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Greg Auman!! Love that guy!!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Tressel is a solid coach, but I don't like the thought of him as I'd be afraid he'd use us as a stepping stone for bigger things.

Face it, we're USF. WHOEVER we get will only use us as a stepping stone for the next 15 years. But during this time, let's make sure each coach leaves behind a better program than he found.

Which is why Skippy was soooooooo disappointing by taking us backasswards

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

IN FAVOR

Pete Lembo - (Ball State Head Coach, as the head coach of Elon gave USF fits as head coach of Ball State beat USF)

Brent Venables - (Good choice, not sure he would do it considering he is from the same Bill Snyder tree as Leavitt)

Mike Bobo - (Not a bad option but I think USF is built on defense he would need a strong defensive counterpart)

Houston Nutt - (Established coach knows what it takes to win, probably bring in Tyrone Nix as DC)

Calvin Magee (Been around long enough to know the ropes, good offensive mind would need to address defense)

NOT IN FAVOR

Darrell Hazell (Seems okay Doubt USF goes to the Kent State well two times)

Manny Diaz - (Too big of a leap was only a DC for 3 years. Texas defense was so so)

Mike MacIntyre - (Has not sat still for longer than 3 years, scares the Cosh out of me)

WIll Taggert - (I can not see someone who has been 7-5 in the Sun Belt being the guy)

Thank god you are not the AD.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

We can be a stepping stone or a place where someone can rebuild their reputation. Either one is not so bad as long as you do your due diligence with a replacement. Louisville did not do that when Petrino left while Cincy did. Though Butch Jones had a rough first year, he bounced back and is likely in line for a new position. The key is to be prepared for when the coach leaves so you don't drop off much. So Tressel, Petrino, and Nutt would all be proven commodities that can recruit and can coach, though they all have some baggage. Tressel is the best of that group, having won it all. As a native Ohioan (who hates Ohio State - my mom went to Michigan), I can tell you that Tressel is a heck of a salesman for a program. I also think he's not as damaged as he once was considering the Penn State scandal. We'd just have to be sure Tressel's staff is capable of coaching in his absence for the first five games and a bowl game. But I think it is too difficult to deal with Tressel until 2016, so I'd guess we'd go for Petrino or Nutt if we go with a veteran.