• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time to Honor the Seniors

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Week 12 Preview: Time to Honor the Seniors

By JIM LOUK

Voice of the USF Bulls

Well, that was fast. Three months ago the Bulls opened against Chattanooga. Saturday, they close against Pittsburgh.

This 16th season of USF football hasn't gone like we wanted it to go. As a result, we'll be done early; the season will be over before the calendar flips to Dec. 2.

But while the season may have gone quickly for us, it doesn't diminish the amount of work the players have done. Their season didn't start on Sept. 1 against Chattanooga. Since spring ball, all through the summer, at training camp at Vero Beach, and throughout the regular season, they've lived USF football, day in and day out.

They deserve our respect, especially the seniors, on Saturday. Nothing that has happened this year has been from lack of effort or lack of caring. Nothing.

There are some great stories throughout the senior class. Some you probably know. The star-crossed B.J. Daniels, at the top of so many USF statistical categories. Linsday Lamar and his late emergence at running back. Evan Landi, willing to do anything and play anywhere for the team. Cory Grissom, beating the odds to be ready for opening day after his injury. Maikon Bonani, crushing every USF kicking record in sight. Demetris Murray, shouldering an ever increasing load when injuries mounted.

And there are the stories you might not know. Sam Barrington's fascinating and vital work in Ghana. Danous Estenor's quiet leadership. Mark Popek overcoming injury to fill numerous spots on the offensive line.

It's a senior class that has only one more time to wear the Green and Gold; Saturday night at Raymond James Stadium against Pittsburgh.

The Panthers come in playing their best football of the season after beating Rutgers last week. They will be trying to extend their season; at 5-6, a win will make them bowl eligible. This will be the 10th meeting between the Bulls and the Panthers, tying the record for most times USF has played an opponent. And, as you probably know, it is the last scheduled meeting between the two teams.

The first was Sept. 8, 2001, when the upstart Bulls beat Pittsburgh, 35-26, at Heinz Field. That was a tall order for USF that day, and Saturday will be a tall order as well against an inspired Pittsburgh team that hammered Rutgers last week.

But it's senior day and the Bulls will be motivated. Seniors want to go out as winners, and the underclassmen want to make that a reality for them. Your participation can help make it happen.

Kickoff is at 7 Saturday night. Radio is on the USF-IMG Sports Network and locally on 98.7 The Fan. Satellite radio is Sirius 128 and XM 192. TV is ESPN2.

We will reconvene in three months or so for National Signing Day, but this is it for games for nine months. And for the seniors, unless they play professionally, this is it for games period.

They wore our colors. Let's give them a good sendoff Saturday. They've earned it.

GO BULLS!

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205804962

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Thank you!

Wish I could be there before Kick Off.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the memories!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

When I could attend all home games, this was routinely one of my favorites. I felt so invested and close to the program that as these guys were walking the field I had goose bumps and an occasional watery eye. I loved how our guys played to win and left it on the field. I loved honoring their commitment to the program. I hope that despite the bad season, the seniors that did wear our colors are appropriately honored and the rest of the circus is not a distraction.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  2

I will be there...all the seniors deserve a proper goodbye. BJ Daniels deserves alot as he has been a model student athlete and im glad to call him a bull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176

Proudest of BJ, he gave us hope when there was none to be had. Thanks for everything!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I will be there...all the seniors deserve a proper goodbye. BJ Daniels deserves alot as he has been a model student athlete and im glad to call him a bull

Amen to that, him and Lindsey Lamar.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

This senior class has defeated FSU, Clem, ND. They have seen 2 starting qbs go down with injuries and a tough coaching transition. The ride has been good at times and rough at times but these guys were there through it all and they will always be appreciated. Go bulls!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  370

I don't really know what's next for BJ but I'm a fan that pulled a 180 on this kid and appreciated his efforts and the great memories of some big wins and exciting wins. I wish the best for him and hope he finds his way. A shame he couldn't have finished it off.