• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Lacks Attention To Detail

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If your assessment is correct, this isn't necessarily a problem for a head coach. The key is that if a head coach is lacking in some area, he should have assistants that are strong in that area. Tony Dungy knew he was a quiet and calm guy. He always had key assistants that were fire and brimstone guys. The fire coaches get calm assistants. I would strongly recommend that Skip assign clock management to one of his assistant coaches.

Smartest post all day.

The assistant coach issue is really killing us, we are full of inept coaches who share the same weaknesses as Holtz.

Did Holtz manage games this poorly 2 years ago? I don't believe so. He looks lost and confused on the sidelines, I think a lot of that has to do with poor distribution of duties and the inability of certain staff members to do their jobs.

Don't hire your friends if you can't fire your friends, coach.

I see one person understands what I was saying.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

If your assessment is correct, this isn't necessarily a problem for a head coach. The key is that if a head coach is lacking in some area, he should have assistants that are strong in that area. Tony Dungy knew he was a quiet and calm guy. He always had key assistants that were fire and brimstone guys. The fire coaches get calm assistants. I would strongly recommend that Skip assign clock management to one of his assistant coaches.

Smartest post all day.

The assistant coach issue is really killing us, we are full of inept coaches who share the same weaknesses as Holtz.

Did Holtz manage games this poorly 2 years ago? I don't believe so. He looks lost and confused on the sidelines, I think a lot of that has to do with poor distribution of duties and the inability of certain staff members to do their jobs.

I see one person understands what I was saying.

But totally wrong on Heath comparison

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

But totally wrong on Heath comparison

No, I'm really quite sure that many on here were demanding that Heath be fired.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693

Smartest post all day.

All true, but as you said Skip is hiring his buddies or his daddies buddies and defends them.

Also the thing with Dungy is that Dungy was humble, he KNEW he lacked in some areas whereas Skip appears arrogant/entitled to me and probably does not understand what the deal is.

I've pointed out dozens of heavily qualified assist. coordinators that we could get for pennies on the dollar but I don't see Skip bringing these guys into his good ole boy system.

I honestly think that if Doug pushes Skip on this issue enough Skip will begin to look for a job elsewhere. If Cosh or Finch is fired then Skip will pick up his rolodex and bring in the next family friend that is unemployed. You'll never see Skip go out an bring in a Randy Shannon, or anyone else that might show him up.

As they say great talent wants to surround themselves with equal or greater talent, whereas poor talent surrounds itself with lower or even worse talent.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Up until this year, I haven't missed a home game and usually got to some away games every year. Last year, I saw our coach booed for bad clock management. It was a sick feeling, but he deserved it. He called timeout to give the opponent time to score in one game, and didn't call time out to give us a chance to plan better in another. We lost both games. Same stuff this year. We were an exciting, promising start up that

commanded national attention at times. Today we are becoming a pitiful laughing stock. Lets face it, this coach is taking us down. Our players deserve better. A coach can only take players to their maximum abilities, but can also personally use them incorrectly so that they are lesser than their talents. If he were honerable, he would resign on the grounds that he can't live up to the requirements at this level.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe laughing stock is the wrong term, but, for the second consecutive game, announcers openly questioned his decisions. How does an extra point help us when we need three scores to win the game. We would still need three scores if the 2-pointer failed, but only two scores if it worked (see Bucs game last week).

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

Smartest post all day.

Speak volumes for Skip's leadershpi. As a leader, I am responsible for those I supervise

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

all signs point to him being an ineff. head coach. he'd be better suited as an AD and we need a type 'a' personality to run this thing.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

This is not a new problem, Look back to Skips entire season here at USF and see that Skip has lost close games due to clock management. Remeber the UConn game, (the one they won the BE championship in our house). That was in his first season, and one example of many showing SKIP IS THE PROBLEM.

Skip it the Boss, the CEO, He is ultimately responsible for the asst coaches and players. The buck stops at Skip.