• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip's boneheaded decision list

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

we have talented players. we just don't put them in situations to be successful.

Talented players don't look this bad, regardless of situations we put them in. Talented receivers don't routinely drop passes. Talented running backs don't routinely fumble the football. Talented CBs don't resort to interference every time a ball is thrown their way. These aren't situations coaches are putting the team in. We have problems in the head coaching slot for sure, but don't kid yourself. Bear Bryant couldn't win C-USA with this years team!

When motivation is lost and guys are just going through the motions, these things happen.

Also, did we get a PI called on us tonight? I don't remember one, but I did lose a few minutes on the DVR for some reason.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

"but I did lose a few minutes on the DVR for some reason."

It's God will...

• Upvote 1

"but I did lose a few minutes on the DVR for some reason."

It's God will...

Lol

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

we have talented players. we just don't put them in situations to be successful.

Talented players don't look this bad, regardless of situations we put them in. Talented receivers don't routinely drop passes. Talented running backs don't routinely fumble the football. Talented CBs don't resort to interference every time a ball is thrown their way. These aren't situations coaches are putting the team in. We have problems in the head coaching slot for sure, but don't kid yourself. Bear Bryant couldn't win C-USA with this years team!

I beg to differ. If you're saying that it's mainly the players then Holtz deserves to stay at least another year or two to continue recruiting and straightening things out. A lot of the other things being pointed out are secondary (lots of coaches make plenty of gameday mistakes if you analyze the games closely) and would not warrant removing him in and of themselves.

As I said in our past debates, if it was poor players/attitude with an average coach I would expect a 7-5, maybe 6-6 season with our schedule. That is what you see with underclassmen heavy teams or a coach coming in to right the ship. Saying anything else means you should feel Holtz warrants at least another year - if so come out and say it. A 5-7 season followed by a 3-9/4-8 season with upper classmen heavy teams points squarely to the coach.

I'm curious how many coaches have had back to back 5-7 and 3-9/4-8 2nd and 3rd seasons, and then gone on to win a conference?

Edited by CRBULL

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Also, did we get a PI called on us tonight? I don't remember one, but I did lose a few minutes on the DVR for some reason.

One maybe... I honestly was setting up the Christmas tree with my family by start of second half. But this is an analysis of the talent on our current team based on their performance throughout the entire year. Further if a D1 scholarship college athlete requires a coach (or parent or girl friend or whatever) to motivate them to put fourth effort then we have truly done a pathetic job recruiting.

One maybe... I honestly was setting up the Christmas tree with my family by start of second half. But this is an analysis of the talent on our current team based on their performance throughout the entire year. Further if a D1 scholarship college athlete requires a coach (or parent or girl friend or whatever) to motivate them to put fourth effort then we have truly done a pathetic job recruiting.

I'm sure you are a brilliant guy academically, but don't confuse your experience in college with that of an athlete, especially one on a large team like a football team. Why do they do pregame speeches if not to motivate? These guys have tons of talent individually but its about motivating them to come together as one team, or one unit. That kind of bond isn't naturally formed, it has to be molded and shaped by the coaches.

I think the bond was there at first, but once the losses started to pile up, I don't see that team unity anymore. I saw disunity after the Louisville game as the players walked off dejectedly as individual right below where I was sitting, and we saw it at the end of the Syracuse game.

I believe that Skip has lost the team, and the guys are resisting his motivational tactics. Just my opinion. That's he biggest reason that I feel he needs to go.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Add not going for 2 ... Ensuring it is still a 3 score game... Can't wait until he talks about the fact that he was trying to tempo the bearcats by rushing the field goal.

While highly unlikely, the only chance with barely 7 minutes left was to score three times with 3 2pt. conversions. The fact that he went for 1 means that either he wanted to pretty up the score to double digets or he is an idiot. Either way, he should be called out. If it is the latter, how the hell did he graduate from Notre Dame? Maybe he did not have to take a math?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

I was a pro-Leavitt guy, but thought Skip would be a great hire if it had to be.

IMO Skip has done everything in his power to deserve firing.

I know this isn't the pros, and USF is turning into desperate times when it comes to conference realignment; but, when will we say a coach has overstayed his welcome (became stale, whether that be with fans, management, or most importantly players)?

(not stating, more so just asking when a regime becomes a detriment in the long run to the University they represent).

Every phase of his coaching (team management, game management, player development) is evedently extremely poor; and I would assume for even guys like Data, Trip, slick etc. that eventually (for the benefit of BOTH sides) it be best we go our separate ways.

Edit: I would like to add I didnt expect USF to win, nor do I see us winning next week. Speaking to this future off season and most likely beyond.

Edited by bullrushBE

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

we got a lot less talented at QB when we lost BJ

we have some talent-- not really amazing talent though. We used to win without having amazing talent-- we're about as good as we used to be for the most part in many positions heading into this season-- save maybe the secondary. So there is really one main component that is different and that for me is coaching.

I am ready to move on and hope that happens. I get the impression it won't and we will have to suffer for one and possibly even TWO MORE years of this inadequate coaching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1