• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My Plan to Save USF...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

Didn't Brian Kelly win 1-AA national titles with some small school before he was at Central Michigan?

Division II, not 1-AA ... maybe we should re-visit the light years apart discussion at this point. :ph34r:

Ok, thanks for the correction. No need to revisit that. The results of Kelly's work speak for themselves. What's Notre Dame ranked now?

Say what some of you will about Kelly, but the guy is a hell of a coach.

but holtz beat kelly last year, he has to be a successful coach :D Edited by 2000bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Didn't Brian Kelly win 1-AA national titles with some small school before he was at Central Michigan?

Division II, not 1-AA ... maybe we should re-visit the light years apart discussion at this point. :ph34r:

Ok, thanks for the correction. No need to revisit that. The results of Kelly's work speak for themselves. What's Notre Dame ranked now?

I think the only point that's trying to be made is that sometimes these kind of hires work out, sometimes they don't. Kelly and Holtz were both successful at lower levels ... Kelly's been able to also succeed at a higher level. Holtz, not so much.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

I think the only point that's trying to be made is that sometimes these kind of hires work out, sometimes they don't. Kelly and Holtz were both successful at lower levels ... Kelly's been able to also succeed at a higher level. Holtz, not so much.

One point is Kelly had a longer track record before he was hired at Cincy. He was highly successful at two different schools at two levels. Then he added Cincy to the resume to hit the trifecta, so Notre Dame had measured risk in him. Holtz had moderate success at one school with a 1-4 bowl record.

If you're an AD at a FBS school which resume would your hire?

That tells me that the talent Leavitt left Holtz was better than the talent Weis left to Kelly. And how is Weis doing at Kansas?

but holtz beat kelly last year, he has to be a successful coach :D

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

One point is Kelly had a longer track record before he was hired at Cincy. He was highly successful at two different schools at two levels. Then he added Cincy to the resume to hit the trifecta, so Notre Dame had measured risk in him. Holtz had moderate success at one school with a 1-4 bowl record.

we will never compete for a coach with ND. Both resumes looked somewhat similar beofre we hired Holtz and cincy hired Kelly. kelly went 9-4 and won the MAC. Holtz went 9-5 and won c-use twice.Holtz also coached at Uconn. led them to 1-aa playoffs his last year I believe. say what you want about measured risk but a coordinator from a top program can easily have as much success as a coach from lower tier. that's why OU, Oregon, UF, Clemson, etc etc have hired coordinators. Like I said i wasn't a fan of the hire but sometimes you strike out. happens everywhere. how many times did ND make a hire that hasn't panned out in the last 20 years?

we will never compete for a coach with ND. Both resumes looked somewhat similar beofre we hired Holtz and cincy hired Kelly. kelly went 9-4 and won the MAC. Holtz went 9-5 and won c-use twice.Holtz also coached at Uconn. led them to 1-aa playoffs his last year I believe. say what you want about measured risk but a coordinator from a top program can easily have as much success as a coach from lower tier. that's why OU, Oregon, UF, Clemson, etc etc have hired coordinators. Like I said i wasn't a fan of the hire but sometimes you strike out. happens everywhere. how many times did ND make a hire that hasn't panned out in the last 20 years?

Only a small percentage of coordinators to HC make a successful transition. The vast majority fail.

Only a small percentage of coordinators to HC make a successful transition. The vast majority fail.

not true at all.

fact : every single successful head coach was once a coordinator or position coach.

we've had 2 head coaches in our history.

one a coordinator and one a previous head coach.

which would you consider more successful?

there is a reason why top programs are now hiring coordinators from top programs. it's because they are taught by the best coaches.

here is a list of the top 25 teams that hired a coordinator as head coach. notice there are 14 out of 25 that hired a coordinator that had no prior head coaching experince.

Oregon

KSU

Georgia

FSU

UF

Clemson

UL

OU

Stanford

Miss State

Boise State

Nebraska

Louisianna Tech

WVU

here is a list of the top 25 teams that hired a coordinator as head coach. notice there are 14 out of 25 that hired a coordinator that had no prior head coaching experince.

Oregon

KSU

Georgia

FSU

UF

Clemson

UL

OU

Stanford

Miss State

Boise State

Nebraska

Louisianna Tech

WVU

Well, duh! You're cherry pickin' to prove your point. How would they get into the top 25 if they weren't successful??

Now show us the bottom 25 and let's see how many of those are failed coordinators.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Quit being an idiot .... Kelly wasn't "highly successful" at Central Michigan ... and Skip was 1-3 in bowl games, with the one win coming against Boise State and the three losses were us, and losing to two SEC teams by a total of 9 points. Kelly never even coached in a bowl game before Cincy.