• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jimmy Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

Guys, butch davis won at UNC.. a basketball school.. football is an afterthought in the entire state of NC.

With butch, his connections, and his proven resume of building a winning COLLEGE football program in the state of Florida, i think it would be a slam dunk here at USF. He could rebuild his UMiami staff here at USF. i think randy shannon is only a linebackers coach at TCU. he could be brought in here as a DC.

Butch could install a pro-style football program that will prepare kids for the NFL much like Schiano did at Rutgers-- and to me, that is the best recruiting tool for a kid in the state of FL.. to play for a program that will prepare them for the NFL and a program that they can win at.

With his ties to greg schiano, and being able to coach in the same stadium that schiano does, he could synergistically create a USF-Buccaneers.. nfl-like environment

Completely agree... Butch should be on our radar

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

Seriously though, it's getting a bit awkward after these games with all the people yelling at Holtz and staff. They need to do something... The next coach needs to bring the hard nosed mentality back because that's what TB is all about.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

so you don't think Leavitt was successful at USF then?

completely different. did i think usf tied for 3rd in BE was successful? no. it took cheating for butch to get a tie for 3rd in the coastal division.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

He did a great job at the U, He knows how to relate to the players. Maybe we could actually start winning the recuriting battle in the Bay area.

If Not him than someone who knows how to win, Dungy, Petrino, either Gruden, ANYONE who is a proven winner.

ANYONE. Absolutely anyone but this overpaid clown.

Skip....................PLEASE GO AWAY you silver spoon overpaid good for nothing son of a legend.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

completely different. did i think usf tied for 3rd in BE was successful? no. it took cheating for butch to get a tie for 3rd in the coastal division.

Not completely different. Both Davis and Leavitt achieved similar results as coaches at their schools.

Btw, I didn't know that getting gifts and extra help with your grades made you catch more td's, gave you more timeouts, bought off the refs or got more than 4 downs on offense...

If the players never made the infractions would you still consider Davis a bad coach?

The guy coached up and recruited very talented players and got results on the field. He is a good coach like it or not.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not completely different. Both Davis and Leavitt achieved similar results as coaches at their schools.

Btw, I didn't know that getting gifts and extra help with your grades made you catch more td's, gave you more timeouts, bought off the refs or got more than 4 downs on offense...

If the players never made the infractions would you still consider Davis a bad coach?

The guy coached up and recruited very talented players and got results on the field. He is a good coach like it or not.

Leavitt started the program from scratch. Mack Brown had success at UNC less than 10 years earlier(much more success than Davis). Leavitt took a program with no facilities into a BCS confernce. Davis coached for one of the wealthiest programs in the ACC.

Leavitt tied for 3rd in BE and I felt could have hit his ceiling. he did get a raw deal and if Grothe hadn't been hurt his senior year then maybe he would have finished higher. I don't want tied for 3rd especially from a coach who benefited from cheating whether or not he knew it was going on.

cheating doesn't help you do all those things. it helps programs and coaches that are willing to overlook the cheating sign top prospects though.

I never said he was a bad coach. I only said he wasn't all that successful especially when you consider the cheating going on there. he finished no better than 3rd in the coastal. he got good recruits(partially because they didn't "notice" the agents and their gifts) and he got average results. nothing special IMO.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

I would go for it though. As a compromise, I will take anyone but Petrino.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Leavitt started the program from scratch. Mack Brown had success at UNC less than 10 years earlier(much more success than Davis). Leavitt took a program with no facilities into a BCS confernce. Davis coached for one of the wealthiest programs in the ACC.

Leavitt tied for 3rd in BE and I felt could have hit his ceiling. he did get a raw deal and if Grothe hadn't been hurt his senior year then maybe he would have finished higher. I don't want tied for 3rd especially from a coach who benefited from cheating whether or not he knew it was going on.

cheating doesn't help you do all those things. it helps programs and coaches that are willing to overlook the cheating sign top prospects though.

I never said he was a bad coach. I only said he wasn't all that successful especially when you consider the cheating going on there. he finished no better than 3rd in the coastal. he got good recruits(partially because they didn't "notice" the agents and their gifts) and he got average results. nothing special IMO.

Win % at UNC

Mack Brown 10 years .599%

Butch Davis 4 years .549%

It took Brown 5 years to get an 8 win season. It took Davis 2 years.

UNC was in complete shambles after Brown left until Davis came. That's 10 straight years of losing football which seriously hinders a programs growth and recovery time. Davis was on the right path to turning around the program until the players we're caught breaking NCAA rules and he took the fall.

Davis is a good coach with a solid history and big name. He knows and can recruit Florida very very well and will bring in the correct people to win. We would actually have a defense under him again.