• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jimmy Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I would love to have Butch Davis. I don't see anyone like Jimmy coming back after being out for so long.

butch davis destroyed UNC and didn't have much success anyway. why??

Davis had three straight 8 win seasons, 3 straight bowl games going 1-2 (L vs WVU, Pitt. W vs UT) in his 4 years there while trying to rebuild a program that has been horrible for over a decade. UNC had ONE 8 win season from 1997 -2007. That's not success? Ok then....

no actually he didn't have a win in 2008 or 2009. perhaps you forgot that the took those wins away for allowing players to be involved with agents and academic misconduct.

8 wins and being tied for 3rd twice and 4th twice in THEIR COASTAL DIVISION 9 ,not even the ACC, is not success. especially since he was fired and left that program on the brink of huge sanctions. no thanks.

Don't give me the vacated win ********. They won those games and he still coached the game.

Have you even looked at the teams he lost to during the 8 win seasons? LSU, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State. The only bad losses in those 3 years were to Virginia 2x and Maryland once. His bowl losses were to 8-4 Pat White led West Virginia and 9-3 Pittsburgh which is respectable.

Sanctions mean nothing to me unless he was directly involved in allowing it to happen. He obviously didn't do anything bad because the NCAA didn't impose any bans on him directly. This isn't like hiring Jim Tressel which carries suspended games if he ever coaches again because he had KNOWN involvement.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I would love to have Butch Davis. I don't see anyone like Jimmy coming back after being out for so long.

Davis had three straight 8 win seasons, 3 straight bowl games going 1-2 (L vs WVU, Pitt. W vs UT) in his 4 years there while trying to rebuild a program that has been horrible for over a decade. UNC had ONE 8 win season from 1997 -2007. That's not success? Ok then....

no actually he didn't have a win in 2008 or 2009. perhaps you forgot that the took those wins away for allowing players to be involved with agents and academic misconduct.

8 wins and being tied for 3rd twice and 4th twice in THEIR COASTAL DIVISION 9 ,not even the ACC, is not success. especially since he was fired and left that program on the brink of huge sanctions. no thanks.

Don't give me the vacated win ********. They won those games and he still coached the game.

Have you even looked at the teams he lost to during the 8 win seasons? LSU, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State. The only bad losses in those 3 years were to Virginia 2x and Maryland once.

Sanctions mean nothing to me unless he was directly involved in allowing it to happen. He obviously didn't do anything bad because the NCAA didn't impose any bans on him directly. This isn't like hiring Jim Tressel which carries suspended games if he ever coaches again because he had KNOWN involvement.

the guy couldn't finish better than 3rd in coastal division. don't care who he has lost to. it doesn't take much of a coach to lose to those teams. I'm willing to bet skip wouldn't have any problem losing to those teams.

his team has been sanctioned whether or not you think he had known involvement . he is responsible for their involvement and academic misconduct. 8 players found to have received improper gifts. plus academic cheating. no thanks. he was fired for a reason.

Have you even looked at the teams he lost to during the 8 win seasons? LSU, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State. The only bad losses in those 3 years were to Virginia 2x and Maryland once.

the guy couldn't finish better than 3rd in coastal division. don't care who he has lost to. it doesn't take much of a coach to lose to those teams. I'm willing to bet skip wouldn't have any problem losing to those teams.

his team has been sanctioned whether or not you think he had known involvement . he is responsible for their involvement and academic misconduct. 8 players found to have received improper gifts. plus academic cheating. no thanks. he was fired for a reason.

How you can knock him for not being better than third in a division or conference USF wouldn't even be competitive in is beyond me. USF and many other schools can't compete with Virginia Tech, Miami and Georgia Tech on a yearly basis yet alone when rebuilding a program. On top of that he shared the coastal with Virginia Tech who won the ACC 3 of the 4 years Davis coached at UNC. He coached against good squads while trying to rebuild a program and still had 3 straight 8 win seasons. Pretty **** good if you ask me.

Still don't give a **** about sanctions if he didn't take part or know of it.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

Guys, butch davis won at UNC.. a basketball school.. football is an afterthought in the entire state of NC.

With butch, his connections, and his proven resume of building a winning COLLEGE football program in the state of Florida, i think it would be a slam dunk here at USF. He could rebuild his UMiami staff here at USF. i think randy shannon is only a linebackers coach at TCU. he could be brought in here as a DC.

Butch could install a pro-style football program that will prepare kids for the NFL much like Schiano did at Rutgers-- and to me, that is the best recruiting tool for a kid in the state of FL.. to play for a program that will prepare them for the NFL and a program that they can win at.

With his ties to greg schiano, and being able to coach in the same stadium that schiano does, he could synergistically create a USF-Buccaneers.. nfl-like environment

Edited by FPTGCC

How you can knock him for not being better than third in a division or conference USF wouldn't even be competitive in is beyond me. USF and many other schools can't compete with Virginia Tech, Miami and Georgia Tech on a yearly basis yet alone when rebuilding a program. On top of that he shared the coastal with Virginia Tech who won the ACC 3 of the 4 years Davis coached at UNC. He coached against good squads while trying to rebuild a program and still had 3 straight 8 win seasons. Pretty **** good if you ask me.

just because he doesn't get caught doesn't mean he didn't know 8 of his players received improper benefits. plus it's his job to know. don't forget abouyt the academic cheating either. they suspended players for that as well. you might not care but the ncaa does and UNC football will be the ones paying for it.

Miami has been worthless in acc.of course you don't mention duke and virginia in coastal. they essentially finished in front of those two and behind or tied with one of the other three every year. again that's not my idea of success. if he had cheated and finished first then yes that would be success. but tied for 3rd means you really just finished ahead of duke and virginia every year with 1 win against miami(meh), georgia tech or virginia tech.

BTW previous to fsu this year i believe USF was like 6-2 against ACC including wins over fsu, miami, UNC, nc state, and clemson.

he beat 3 conference mates that finished ranked in top 20 his last 3 years. v tech at #10 . fsu at #16 and miami at #19. other than that it was a bunch of dukes, virginia, wake forest, etc.

Guys, butch davis won at UNC.. a basketball school.. football is an afterthought in the entire state of NC.

With butch, his connections, and his proven resume of building a winning COLLEGE football program in the state of Florida, i think it would be a slam dunk here at USF. He could rebuild his UMiami staff here at USF. i think randy shannon is only a linebackers coach at TCU. he could be brought in here as a DC.

Butch could install a pro-style football program that will prepare kids for the NFL much like Schiano did at Rutgers-- and to me, that is the best recruiting tool for a kid in the state of FL.. to play for a program that will prepare them for the NFL and a program that they can win at

mack brown was successful at UNC less than 10 years before butch. that's how he got texas job.

unc got caught cheating while butch davis was there. he never finished better than 3rd in coastal division. essentially he finished ahad of duke and virginia and he tied one of the top 3 teams either miami, v tech or georgia tech every year. they cheated in oredr to have that limited success.

just because he doesn't get caught doesn't mean he didn't know 8 of his players received improper benefits. plus it's his job to know. don't forget abouyt the academic cheating either. they suspended players for that as well. you might not care but the ncaa does and UNC football will be the ones paying for it.

Miami has been worthless in acc.of course you don't mention duke and virginia in coastal. they essentially finished in front of those two and behind or tied with one of the other three every year. again that's not my idea of success. if he had cheated and finished first then yes that would be success. but tied for 3rd means you really just finished ahead of duke and virginia every year with 1 win against miami(meh), georgia tech or virginia tech.

BTW previous to fsu this year i believe USF was like 6-2 against ACC including wins over fsu, miami, UNC, nc state, and clemson.

he beat 3 conference mates that finished ranked in top 20 his last 3 years. v tech at #10 . fsu at #16 and miami at #19. other than that it was a bunch of dukes, virginia, wake forest, etc.

It's his job to know? What is he supposed to do ask all his players 24/7 if their cheating? This **** happens at many schools and unless he knew it means jack ****. The NCAA obviously didn't find it too serious and noticed no involvement as he clearly has no coaching ban or suspension.

Who cares if Duke and Virginia are in their division? They still play Atlantic division teams. So when any of the Big East teams were in the dump you would hold that against USF?

If Miami is so bad since joining the ACC then why can't USF beat them? Butch Davis was 3-1 vs Miami while we are 1-3 vs them with a lucky win in OT. Our last ACC win was in 2010 and previous wins were with Leavitt from 2006-2009 which were the best years ever at USF.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Somebody with connections just ask him if he would be interested?

It's his job to know? What is he supposed to do ask all his players 24/7 if their cheating? This **** happens at many schools and unless he knew it means jack ****. The NCAA obviously didn't find it too serious and noticed no involvement as he clearly has no coaching ban or suspension.

Who cares if Duke and Virginia are in their division? They still play Atlantic division teams. So when any of the Big East teams were in the dump you would hold that against USF?

If Miami is so bad since joining the ACC then why can't USF beat them? Butch Davis was 3-1 vs Miami while we are 1-3 vs them with a lucky win in OT. Our last ACC win was in 2010 and previous wins were with Leavitt from 2006-2009 which were the best years ever at USF.

sorry but beating up on a bunch of do nothing ACC teams and then losing to anybody half decent with the occasional upset is not my idea of success. having to cheat in order to do that(whether or not he knew they still cheated) makes it even less impressive.

great wins against miami. miami was 7-6, 5-7 and 9-4 those years. not exactly a power house.

if you haven't noticed, we can't beat anybody.

sorry but beating up on a bunch of do nothing ACC teams and then losing to anybody half decent with the occasional upset is not my idea of success. having to cheat in order to do that(whether or not he knew they still cheated) makes it even less impressive.

great wins against miami. miami was 7-6, 5-7 and 9-4 those years. not exactly a power house.

if you haven't noticed, we can't beat anybody.

so you don't think Leavitt was successful at USF then?