• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Buying out Holtz?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

making the so-called smart hire is what got us into this mess in the first place

No, extending Holtz is. Not every hire is going to be a successful one, even when it seems "smart," but there was no reason to lock Holtz up until 2017. At the time of the hire, Holtz was not a bad choice.

Also, you missed the point. Both Arkansas and Louisville have found themselves in ****** situations post-Petrino, and post-Petrino would be guaranteed to come sooner rather than later based on his track record, so why bother? Why not just move past that now, rather than later?

I am saying that so-called smart hires are no guarantee of success. It's not like the extension made Holtz start coaching even worse than he was before. He's never had control of this program period

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Why would you pass up a top notch coach because you are afraid the guy after him won't do as well? Pretty crazy thought process to me. Although it kind of goes hand in hand with the logic of benching our best and most experienced players in favor of the Freshman that haven't proven or earned anything because we need to start thinking about next year.

Or, you could say both schools had to settle for lesser hires because Petrino's sudden departure caught them with their pants down. What was Arkansas going to do when Petrino's actions forced the AD to fire him after spring practices and just a few months before the season started? John L. Smith was a good coach in the past, now, but his days are done. But Arkansas wasn't going to hire anybody away from any other school at that time and what unemployed coaches are out there that they were going to hire that would have been any better?

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

making the so-called smart hire is what got us into this mess in the first place

No, extending Holtz is. Not every hire is going to be a successful one, even when it seems "smart," but there was no reason to lock Holtz up until 2017. At the time of the hire, Holtz was not a bad choice.

Also, you missed the point. Both Arkansas and Louisville have found themselves in ****** situations post-Petrino, and post-Petrino would be guaranteed to come sooner rather than later based on his track record, so why bother? Why not just move past that now, rather than later?

I am saying that so-called smart hires are no guarantee of success.

Of course they're not. What's your point? The same is true of Petrino, there's no guarantee of anything ever. I'm not sure what this revelation has to do with whether or not it makes sense for USF to hire Bobby Petrino.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Holtz is going no where. He will be coaching USF Football next year. Not to mention he will continue to give out scholarship to local area talent like hanging out fliers on the Las Vegas strip.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777

Maybe we can have another shot at a defensive coordinator.

I am saying that so-called smart hires are no guarantee of success.

Of course they're not. What's your point? The same is true of Petrino, there's no guarantee of anything ever. I'm not sure what this revelation has to do with whether or not it makes sense for USF to hire Bobby Petrino.

first-- don't like that you cut my point in half-- you know-- the part that directly addresses the extension.

second-- I am saying that you are calling for a smart hire. That's like saying I am going to make the right choice. Of course you try the right choice-- it's the right choice based on what you know. It doesn't mean you will be happy with the results.

I am not saying ignore Petrino-- just approach him on our terms and have controls/contingency plans in place should he go off track like he did at Arky. You make a good contract laden with incentives and we can get him cheap if he doesn't show improvement (an actual experiment-- not the stuff smazza calls an experiment)-- and if he does well-- he gets paid like a successful coach.

getting Pretino to bite on that might be tough-- but he is in a really bad place in the coaching community right now-- so it might just work out.

Basically-- I'm saying let's make the choice of someone like Petrino as safe as possible.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143

According to the USF Alumni Association facebook page, there are 15,000 likes.

If we got 15,000 alumni to contribute $167...

;)

I'm in!! Only 14,999 to go!

That's a tiny fraction of what our 6 seats (and "club donation") costs each year... The troops are already suggesting that we don't bother renewing next year given the coaching situation the past few years - and we've had these 6 seats since day 1 in the Old Sombrero.. :(

Something has to be done, I just don't see Doug or Judy doing it.

Edited by shibumi

;)

That's a tiny fraction of what our 6 seats (and "club donation") costs each year... The troops are already suggesting that we don't bother renewing next year given the coaching situation the past few years - and we've had these 6 seats since day 1 in the Old Sombrero.. :(

if it is any consolation, I never thought I would see them fire Coach Leavitt. Don't underestimate them.

• Topic Count:  251
  • Content Count:  4,738

;)

giving it serious consideration to drop my 6. maybe ill buy them on living social next year