• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Legend of Charlie Jackson and BJ Daniels

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I'll never forget Charlie Jackson vs Western Kentucky running out of bounds on a third and long just short of the first down. He clearly could have had the first down but he avoided the hit and ran out of bounds. We were behind and needed a TD but we failed to get the first down because of his play.

Now I'll never forget BJ Daniels on 4th Down in the 4th Quarter down by 2 Touchdowns scrambling and throwing the ball out of bounds rather then throwing it ANYWHERE down field. Now, what's the worst that can happen, an interception? They were getting the ball anyway.

Now, I always felt Charlie cost us that game. I wont say the same about BJ tonight, but how a senior makes such decisions baffles me.

We better be looking at JUCO QBs cause were gonna need someone next year or sooner......

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm lucky I didn't get whiplash considering the way my head plummeted towards the floor when that happened.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I'll never forget Charlie Jackson vs Western Kentucky running out of bounds on a third and long just short of the first down. He clearly could have had the first down but he avoided the hit and ran out of bounds. We were behind and needed a TD but we failed to get the first down because of his play.

Now I'll never forget BJ Daniels on 4th Down in the 4th Quarter down by 2 Touchdowns scrambling and throwing the ball out of bounds rather then throwing it ANYWHERE down field. Now, what's the worst that can happen, an interception? They were getting the ball anyway.

Now, I always felt Charlie cost us that game. I wont say the same about BJ tonight, but how a senior makes such decisions baffles me.

We better be looking at JUCO QBs cause were gonna need someone next year or sooner......

It's not entirely comparable. It wouldn't be accurate to say Daniels lost the game on that play because even if he just chucks it up for grabs to avoid the sack, it is not very likely to result in a first down either. More of a chance than throwing it away has, which is why it was a dumb decision, but USF had almost certainly lost the game at that point regardless.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

It's not entirely comparable. It wouldn't be accurate to say Daniels lost the game on that play because even if he just chucks it up for grabs to avoid the sack, it is not very likely to result in a first down either. More of a chance than throwing it away has, which is why it was a dumb decision, but USF had almost certainly lost the game at that point regardless.

I agree, if you notice in the original email I said I didn't think BJ cost us this game.

It's just that those two plays will be forever stuck in my mind when someone mentions either player. The plays summarize the football smarts of both players. I just hope BJ is a better driver than Charlie Turned out to be, that and that he keeps his drivers license in good shape....

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I agree. How does a 4 year starter, a senior, do that? He was in a tough spot, coverage looked pretty good -- it is always easier to see open receivers from in the stands and I didn't spot anyone open. But still, just chuck the rock high and into the middle of the field, hope for the best. You have to be smart enough to know the game situation and that you can't just throw it away.

That is actually when I decided it was time to head back to the tailgate lot!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I would have told him to just run around as long as he could, even go backwards if need be, and if he was facing a sack, then throw it away. Who knows, maybe something could have opened up on the ground if he had scrambled around a bit more.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

I think BJ was still woozy from the big hit to his head. He was clearly not in his right mind . . . in four years he has probably thrown the ball away about 5 times total. GB!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

That pass got me up out of my seat and leave early!

Sofa King Pissed!

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder what Charlie Jackson is doing now. My favorite moment of his was when he dove into the that big scrum of Cincy defenders and then to everyone's total amazement, popped out the other side for a big play. Maybe the old times are deceiving my mind. GB!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

I was OK with most of what I saw yesterday but this play ruined my evening. A sixth-year quarterback doing this is inexcusable and shows we do not have any game presence at QB.