• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Expecting to Win vs. Hoping to Win

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  581
  • Days Won:  0

On one of the Ball State blogs (Over the Pylon), one of the articles described the author's realization that, for the first time he could remember, he felt like Ball State expected to beat Indiana instead of hoping to beat Indiana. The article was well-written with plenty of inside information on Ball State's past.

Sadly, we have reversed. In these past few seasons, our fans hoped to win instead of expected to win. To some extent, I believe our players are there as well. They hope to fill the gaps on defense and hope that their offense makes mistakes. They hope their defense misses tackles and makes penalties. They hope their special teams miss blocks and fumble the ball or lose their concentration.

I've written before how the team doesn't seem inspired -- how we seem to be missing that spark, that Leader on the field. I am one of those "over 40" year-olds who went to USF before a football team begun. I know how it feels to not have a team to root for and have to settle on one of the "Big Three." But now, I have a team I can believe in and cheer raucously when we pull off the unbelievable (Nevada) and mope and yell at the TV when we lose (Ball State).

I love being a USF Bull.

I loved it last week when Daniels pushed the defender down by his helmet as he ran up the sideline. I loved it when Murray ran over people in the first drive. I loved it when Freakshow jumped over the defenders and took away the ball.

In 2009, I was in the stands with tickets bought by an FSU fan (my wife's uncle, a HUGE FSU fan, bought two tickets for us for the game) and I loved it when Nate Allen punished wide receivers coming over the middle and outside the first down marker. I loved it when Lamar out-juked FSU safeties enroute to a long gain. I loved it when Daniels saw the entire field and made great decisions. I loved it when our offensive line kept their D-line frustrated all day by making them run in place. I loved it that the coaching staff used the talents of the players and made FSU chase us all day.

We expected to beat FSU that day.

I was never more proud to be a Bull than that day (and that includes beating #5 WVU which I was in the stands for as well).

For this game, and for the first time in a long time, I expect Lejiste to lay another smack on a running back just bursting through the hole. I expect Giddens to be in the backfield harrassing Manuel. I expect Popek to manhandle their DE. I expect Murray, Lamar and Shaw to hit the holes with power and attitude. I expect Cosh, Fitch, Holtz and crew to take this game personally and wipe out any doubts about their abilities.

I expect there to be a packed house of green and gold shouting loud enough to be in FSU's ear all night long, even after the game.

I expect a win Saturday night.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

LdNorman, I kind of teared up after reading that. Well done!

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I expected to win against Ball St. I am hoping to win against FSU.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I feel more confident about Saturday now that I have received a sign...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Nicely said. We had what..3 or 4 now NFL starters on that '09 team? Especially on D.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'm going with wish in one hand and crap in the other

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Norman, just one problem. I don't think Popek is at tackle

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

Romanticize that victory much? BJ Daniels made great decisions that day? He was 8/21 with 2 ints. USF won, but let's not get carried away.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

It's a shame that someone write a nice piece about their feelings about the game and the same trolls nitpick and **** all over it.

Edited by thebouncer1898

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

It's a shame that someone write a nice piece about their feelings about the game and the same trolls nitpick and **** all over it.

Super fan