• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's why David Letterman's school beat us

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  1

Reason: a small group of people tore down what was a great football program.

The school president, the athletic director, and a few deep-pocket donors made some bad decisions very quickly.

(1) Fired Leavitt so quickly. (2) Hired someone just because of a name. (3) Cost us millions due to the firing, bad hiring, and payment to Leavitt.

But before all of that, they put the pinch on Leavitt and didn't give him the support he needed. If there was support, would they have needed an "investigation"? Hello! It's a freaking college football program, which is supposed to be for fun and entertainment. But we became a cheap mini-TV series on NBC. Yeah, we even had our own "investigative" reporter.

Yes, Leavitt was sucking air at the time (before he went mad and did whatever he did). All I'm saying is that USF threw loyalty completely away in all the moves that were made before, during, and right after Leavitt went insane.

Just to be clear:

1) The school president, the athletic director, and a few deep-pocket donors are to blame.

2) Leavitt went insane

3) Really bad decisions made by (1)+(2)

4) It's not the current coach's fault: he took a job to advance his career.

5) It's not the players' fault. They just play the game.

Now, we are worse than UCF. And as a football program, we are worse than the I-AAAA days.

Gonna need an overhaul, starting with a new president and athletic director.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

thought this was going to be a top ten list for sure

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,487
  • Days Won:  13

we do not new a new President. Judy is great for USF.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I'll give you a top 2 list:

1) They have better coaches

2) They are a better team

No excuses this week, frankly we got out played by Nevada as well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

we do not new a new President. Judy is great for USF.

I agree on that but would add that getting rid of Woolard is also a foolish manuever.

I guess if the guy is certain that big donors had this type of influence on the program, then maybe they are not the best people to be leading. However, how would this change with new personnel? That influence is felt at almost every college campus in the country. You have to deal with it, more or less. The firing of CJL was controversial but explainable. I may have thought it a bad move or a weak move-- but we need to move on from that and evaluate what is best for right now. The only major problem I can see is our football coach is not producing results that match our expectations based on the size of his contract.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Skip is over his head..... He should have never been hired... I bought into him as well... today was the wake-up call

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Doug's extension to Skip last season is just inexplicable... I suppose if we came out and had a huge season this year it would look brilliant. But I think you typically reward performance, not predict it. Maybe he had more pressure than most of us realize, with the BE falling apart, and wanted to ensure stability in his program. Skip buys you a decent amount of recognition just by his name and family.

I thought he was a good hire. I'd have made it. I think it turns out he may not be the right guy for us, and that is fine, you move on. But I can't fathom why he'd get an extension after missing a bowl game for the first time in recent memory!