• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East set to begin TV negotiations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

My understanding is that espn has an exclusive negotiating period where the BE can't negotiate with anyone else. Once outside that window the BE can negotiate with anyone, including espn.

that's what it sounds like to me.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

ESPN keeps citing the loss of Syracuse to the ACC as one of the reasons the Big East is in trouble. Yes, you are right, the same Syracuse team which our not even on the radar team has beaten 6 out of 7 times.

syracuse also has a huge alumni base WORKING IN THE MEDIA in a major media market and basketball is huge. there is more to do with these negotiations than win/loss record in the past 10 years

If they were talking about name brand and money, you would be right. They are a big loss in that regard. If they were discussing basketball, you would be right again. Unfortunately, it is the quality of the football that is being discussed. This is not meant to disparage Syracuse or anyone else in the ACC. It is meant to point out that ESPN is trying to dictate the winners and losers as to who gets to play big time football. They have pushed the idea that the teams leaving are superior to who is left behind. The only thing superior is the name brand and potential advertising dollars. If they were honest about all of that, I would have nothing to say.

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

ESPN keeps citing the loss of Syracuse to the ACC as one of the reasons the Big East is in trouble. Yes, you are right, the same Syracuse team which our not even on the radar team has beaten 6 out of 7 times.

syracuse also has a huge alumni base WORKING IN THE MEDIA in a major media market and basketball is huge. there is more to do with these negotiations than win/loss record in the past 10 years

If they were talking about name brand and money, you would be right. They are a big loss in that regard. If they were discussing basketball, you would be right again. Unfortunately, it is the quality of the football that is being discussed. This is not meant to disparage Syracuse or anyone else in the ACC. It is meant to point out that ESPN is trying to dictate the winners and losers as to who gets to play big time football. They have pushed the idea that the teams leaving are superior to who is left behind. The only thing superior is the name brand and potential advertising dollars. If they were honest about all of that, I would have nothing to say.

it all comes down to name brand and potential advertising dollars. that is what drives TV contracts. i don't know where this big conspiracy came into play that espn is out to ruin the Big east. They are out to make as much money possible. that is all.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

it all comes down to name brand and potential advertising dollars. that is what drives TV contracts. i don't know where this big conspiracy came into play that espn is out to ruin the Big east. They are out to make as much money possible. that is all.

Maybe from the BC guy basically saying espn told the ACC who to take once the BE turned them down last year

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Still not sure why everyone is burned by ESPN. Without ESPN this program wouldn't have ever grown the way it did.

I'm not a fan of the network. I don't watch much outside of live events. I also don't believe for a second that they're trying to kill a league they will be offering a lot of money to stay with them.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

This might be a stupid question, but if we chose to pass on ESPN and go with NBC then won't that limit the number of BEast football games on TV... ESPN has 4 channels plus ABC... NBC has two channels (regular NBC and NBC Sports Channel.

Will ESPN still be able to broadcast BEast games that are not picked up by these 2 channels, or will it be like BHSN where if the network chooses to opt out then nobody can show it.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bubba,

Depends on the deal. If NBC takes all three tiers, no.

In a perfect world we'd work some deal with both networks like the other leagues (minus ACC) have.

Some have speculated NBC would use MSNBC or CNBC to help with broadcasting of exclusive

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

This might be a stupid question, but if we chose to pass on ESPN and go with NBC then won't that limit the number of BEast football games on TV... ESPN has 4 channels plus ABC... NBC has two channels (regular NBC and NBC Sports Channel.

Will ESPN still be able to broadcast BEast games that are not picked up by these 2 channels, or will it be like BHSN where if the network chooses to opt out then nobody can show it.

But ESPN has more games to show... if we have 14 teams (15 with ND), there is a maximum of 15 games/weekend. With 3 time slots (noon, 3:30, 7/8), you can get at least 6 games on. Between the ESPN networks, I highly doubt that there are 6 games on any given weekend. I think you would still see some non-conference games on ESPN as well... it just may depend on who the opponent is. NBC could also set up USA with a game or 2 per weekend. Possibly the prime-time slot on Saturday's would go to USA...

If NBC is serious though, they have to broadcast online as well to compete with ESPN3.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

NBC has other places to put games. Since Comcast is the majority stakeholder, they are looking to use NBC to help expand their version of Fox Sports Net, Comcast SportsNet - that's becoming part of NBC Sports. They also may do what they did with the Olympics and put games on places like CNBC or elsewhere.

But it largely depends if the contract splits rights or not. NBC could actually partner with someone else for a contract. They wouldn't do it with any of their network competition, but with Turner being interested as well I could see Turner Networks partnering with NBC on a deal. From a Big East standpoint, this makes sense.

Another aspect to remember for NBC is the fact that we will have west coast teams and my guess is the 14th team will be in the west. In fact, I'd be inclined to move to 16 teams for football and add two more western teams. This will allow NBC to to schedule Eastern centric primetime programming and Western centric primetime programming to maximize viewership and maximize our money. The three additional teams I'd add would be BYU, Fresno State, and Air Force.

In addition, if I were presenting to these potential members and to NBC/Turner/whoever, I would hype up the prospect of a 16 team league and a new format beyond a simple championship game.

You move to four regional divisions, just the the AFC or NFC in the NFL. You play all three members in your divison every year and at least one member of each other division each year. And then comes the big revenue generator that you need to get the NCAA to approve - a six team conference playoff where the four division winners and two wildcards vie for the conference title and a chance at our top bowl and, maybe, the national title.

My feeling is that conferences being able to institute playoffs inside their ranks is the way to get a real playoff. Imagine four big 16 team conferences with six team playoffs - massive revenue generators. The four conference winners each emerge to play for the final title. It even fits into the upcoming four team system that will replace the BCS.

Edited by macphisto

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

Joe, I agree. I think we should try to keep some games on ESPN. Splitting the conference package between NBC, ESPN, and possibly somebody else is a good idea. Future football recruits watch ESPN, and we will need at least a little exposure to them.