• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brad Smith, DE Jesuit HS Tampa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not singling out this particular kid as mediocre. I'm noting the Tampa group of recruits as such. Apologies to his family if they read this and took it poorly. They should get used to their kid being judged by arm chair analysts though.

I don't trust Rivals, or the like. Yet, a bunch of borderline 2/3-star kids usually don't pan out as well as borderline 3/4-star kids. We're getting the former in Tampa and the latter in Orlando... for whatever reason.

Calling a football player smart (academically) sounds a lot like like telling an ugly girl that she has a nice personality when you don't want to date her. Just sayin'.

Not to mention it appears hes a smart young man... love that we're going after smarter kids then in the leavitt days.

We can now be more selective, because of the talent Leavitt brought in. It's a two way street.

We're not being "more selective" though. Leavitt was getting more selective maybe, but Skip seems to have gone backward, in Tampa at least.

UCiF is out recruiting us in Tampa according to a variety of sources. I don't disagree with that notion, it's pretty hard to. (Our overall class is better though.)

I'm just griping that every time Greg reports a new Tampa commit I look them up on Rivals and they're usually a 2-star or barely a 3-star and usually not being recruited very heavily.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We're outrecruiting UCF in Orlando, though. Not sure if you've seen it, but some are making the argument that for Orlando kids, Tampa is far enough away from home, but not too far for Mom and Dad to come to games, and vice versa for Tampa kids. I think there's some validity to that theory.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

We're outrecruiting UCF in Orlando, though. Not sure if you've seen it, but some are making the argument that for Orlando kids, Tampa is far enough away from home, but not too far for Mom and Dad to come to games, and vice versa for Tampa kids. I think there's some validity to that theory.

doesn't ucf only have 3 recruits from tampa at this point? also, I was always under the impression that 2* basically meant they hadn't been evaluated?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Not to mention it appears hes a smart young man... love that we're going after smarter kids then in the leavitt days.

We can now be more selective, because of the talent Leavitt brought in. It's a two way street.

We're not being "more selective" though. Leavitt was getting more selective maybe, but Skip seems to have gone backward, in Tampa at least.

UCiF is out recruiting us in Tampa according to a variety of sources. I don't disagree with that notion, it's pretty hard to. (Our overall class is better though.)

I'm just griping that every time Greg reports a new Tampa commit I look them up on Rivals and they're usually a 2-star or barely a 3-star and usually not being recruited very heavily.

I think the point you are missing is that Rivals attempts to rank players based on their current level. Some players we bring in are not as highly ranked , but we, apparently, see the potential for them being great players for us down the road.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

doesn't ucf only have 3 recruits from tampa at this point? also, I was always under the impression that 2* basically meant they hadn't been evaluated?

Down to 3 Benjamin just decommitted. The Griffin twins and Pete Dinovo.(2-two stars and a 3-star) All that crud that got published about UCF outrecruiting us in Tampa is just ridiculous. By any metric it doesn't hold water. And grading recruits based on star rankings, what a joke.

I think the point you are missing is that Rivals attempts to rank players based on their current level. Some players we bring in are not as highly ranked , but we, apparently, see the potential for them being great players for us down the road.

Disagree. Rankings are about potential as well. The rankings often reach less though.

Sure, kids like Selvie could happen where a 6'4" 220lb DE flourishes. But, usually, it'll be the 6'4" 255lb high schooler that does better.

I don't think Holtz and Co took this kid over some 4-star recruit that would've committed because they thought he was better, I think they just can't get the 4-star to listen. If that's the case, then spend your time in Orlando where we might get them for whatever reason.

The rankings are really just based on what schools are offering them. In general, if a kid is offered by UF/FSU/USC they're better than someone offered by BC/Holy Cross/FAU; or so is the though. Makes sense, really.

Edited by The Great 8

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

What was Selvie weighing in at at this kid's point in HS? Anyone know or remember? I'd venture not much more.

Selvie was a 1-star offensive line recruit, on some recruiting sites, if memory serves correctly. It wasn't until he was at USF that he got flipped to DE.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

I don't care if we get no name out of left field players out of tampa. We need kids out of Tampa to start those pipelines and connect with those coaches and show their former team mates that they can come to USF and have a lot of fun. I feel like if these guys were skill positions that this could be a problem but since they're O-Linemen and D-Linemen I'm not as concerned... Much easier to develop these guys than the D'vos and the Woulards of the world... Got to build that fence and all of these kids coming in have potential and are some of the best at their position in the area, can't hate on that.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I don't care if we get no name out of left field players out of tampa. We need kids out of Tampa to start those pipelines and connect with those coaches and show their former team mates that they can come to USF and have a lot of fun. I feel like if these guys were skill positions that this could be a problem but since they're O-Linemen and D-Linemen I'm not as concerned... Much easier to develop these guys than the D'vos and the Woulards of the world... Got to build that fence and all of these kids coming in have potential and are some of the best at their position in the area, can't hate on that.

Tell em Tony, They're Grrrrreeeeaattttt!!!!!!

tony-the-tiger-frosties.jpg