• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Random Recruiting Discussions (Split from another thread, title by moderator)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

I like USF a ton all things considered. I think if you're a Fl. recruit c/o 2013 2014 2015 come to the Pen. I encourage you to join us in the Big East we will be so dominant the next few years they'll be after us in the ACC especially with conference realignments in the coming years. In my opinion we will be the best team in college football

Love this guy.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Well... they play in the SEC... o yea... they play in the SEC... and hey they play in the SEC! did i mention they are one of the better teams in the SEC?

Okay, that's one. I'll even give you another, they have Steve Spurrier as the coach. But you said every advantage. I lived in Columbia, The campus isn't all that great. There's not a whole lot to do around there.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I'm pretty sure UF has a website, where you can go chomp your little heart out. Tradition mentioned 3 times in one sentence, geez. That's what schools fall back on when the are playing like crap. It sure didn't help ND in that 1st half last year. The only timing signing with a old powerhouse versus an up and coming power is from verbal to NSD when a potential recruit can brag to their HS buddies where they got signed. After that, quality coaching, playing time and exposure are the only things that matter to a kid trying to get to the next level. For many of these kids the scales tip firmly towards USF over SEC teams.You can't get seen if you don't play. We are one breakout season away from being able to build our own, you guessed it, TRADITION!!!!!!!

University of Miami has a tradition in football, anybody recommending a kid to go there.

wow

1) Youre right; tradition doesnt help once the ball is snapped, but it sure helps outside of that. Tradition brings in fans. More fans = better gameday experience. Yes, winning can also bring in fans and create a gameday experience, but if you have tradition, you dont need to depend on it the way we do.

2)The point of the recruits bragging to buddies is a much bigger deal than you think. You obviously dont remember what it is like to be 17 or 18 years old. Kids DREAM about playing for UF or USC or wherever. Especially if their parents went there and they grew up at the swamp or something. The day that offer letter comes in the mail it is the happiest day of their lives. You always want to brag to your buddies. You always want people to look up to you and be jealous of you. Being in a group of guys who are all going to lower tier schools as the guy going to Notre Dame is a big deal and plays a huge role in perception. That is what recruiting is about at its core. The perception that this school is the best place for your future. None of them know which one may be best. The schools sell that perception. As a wide-eyed young adult nothing is more impressive than those flashy lights and colors and fancy uniforms. The history of wearing the same uniform as some collegiate and NFl legends. That is a huge part of the recruiting project and you are throwing it by the wayside.

3)Quality coaching is subjective. I like Skip Holtz. I also liked CJL. I think both are fine coaches. However they have yet to prove anything. On the contrary guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Gene Chizik, etc are all **** good coaches. As much as I love CSH and am grateful he is with us, there is no question any one of those guys would bring a hell of a lot more value to this program. I hope Skip can change that perception this season.

4)Dont you ever compare the exposure of the SEC to that of USF or any Big East team ever again.

5)Playing time also depends on the school. Next year, a freshman WR probably wont start for USF right away like some did last year and will this year. Our WR corps is very young and will make up the majority of our playbook for a while. Florida, on the other hand, may have room for a young WR to get on the field right away. This changes every year.

6)Yes, and hopefully this is our true breakout season.

7) I would recommend someone go to Miami, yes. Depending on the NCAA sanctions I will change my answer accordingly. If they get a punishment like USC just got for example, yes I wouldnt deter anyone from going to UM. If they get PSU quality sanctions, then obviously not.

8)Take off the G&G goggles for a little bit.

ok let me clarify... i said that half mockingly.

USF is trying to build a winning football tradition. That takes a LOT of work, it takes a higher caliber of person to build something.

SEC schools are all mini football factories... tradition is set... you get to be a cog in that tradition... easier to maintain the tradition then build one...

Some kids dont want to go the route of building a new legacy... they prefer the being on the SEC type schools... nothing wrong with that... if thats what the kid wants go that route...

It just seems to me reading this board, at times people here believe USF = UF or other SEC schools... but that really is not the case... no shame in it... we've only been at this for 14 years... not 114.

Our thought process (me and AW) has never been about maintaining a colleges tradition or bandwagoning on a colleges tradition we chose to focus on getting on field sooner than later and going where we felt wanted. If ya put up numbers the conference don't matter as much. You wanna go to the NFL not be a career collegiate athlete and its over. If you can't get on the field don't matter the conference. I like USF a ton all things considered. I think if you're a Fl. recruit c/o 2013 2014 2015 come to the Pen. I encourage you to join us in the Big East we will be so dominant the next few years they'll be after us in the ACC especially with conference realignments in the coming years. In my opinion we will be the best team in college football

Well said. I hope you're right. Looking forward to it.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

ghost, your answer to no. 7, destroys any credibility, you might have had here previously. Send someone to UM knowing what they are facing. OMG. Talk about Goggles.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,641
  • Days Won:  424

ghost, your answer to no. 7, destroys any credibility, you might have had here previously. Send someone to UM knowing what they are facing. OMG. Talk about Goggles.

7) I would recommend someone go to Miami, yes. Depending on the NCAA sanctions I will change my answer accordingly. If they get a punishment like USC just got for example, yes I wouldnt deter anyone from going to UM. If they get PSU quality sanctions, then obviously not.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Boy, Trip, you are really clever with the font size and text color command. Did you have a point, or were you just practicing your coloring skills? Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Boy, Trip, you are really clever with the font size and text color command. Did you have a point, or were you just practicing your coloring skills?

I believe he was pointing out that I made a conditional statement.

If Miami gets a 2 year bowl ban, a fine, loses a couple of scholarships, etc. I would be fine playing for UM. At least, I wouldnt hold it against them. I can still play football, we can still win games, and I can still gain some NFL value and playing time/experience.

If it were for all 4 years, for example, then it starts to become tricky because I would like to play for a bowl or championship at least once in my collegiate career. Just look at USC. One of the favorites for the National Championship coming off a 2 yr bowl ban. It doesnt always have to be a program killer.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Boy, Trip, you are really clever with the font size and text color command. Did you have a point, or were you just practicing your coloring skills?

If Miami gets a 2 year bowl ban, a fine, loses a couple of scholarships, etc. I would be fine playing for UM. At least, I wouldnt hold it against them. I can still play football, we can still win games, and I can still gain some NFL value and playing time/experience.

If it were for all 4 years, for example, then it starts to become tricky because I would like to play for a bowl or championship at least once in my collegiate career. Just look at USC. One of the favorites for the National Championship coming off a 2 yr bowl ban. It doesnt always have to be a program killer.

I don't understand why you feel compelled to defend Miami in a procpects thread on the USF recruiting board?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  423
  • Days Won:  1

# 4 : Kids dream of ultimately being in the NFL if they are being advised correctly all things considered its a good chance going to their favorite college and playing early may not happen more than likely . So while there is a sense of pride and bragging rights associated with going to their favorite school it probably will not be a conduit to reaching the ultimate goal of making big money in the NFL and playing the game they love at the highest level...I don't like the idea of being so pro SEC on this board as there may be some who are on the fence about coming to USF and I would hate for you to sway them in another direction . USF dynasty starts now...

Edited by Woulard
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,641
  • Days Won:  424

I don't understand why you feel compelled to defend Miami in a procpects thread on the USF recruiting board?

None of this stuff should be in Badet's thread so when I get a chance I need to try and break out the non-Badet specific stuff into a separate thread .... and try to figure out a title for it. :unsure: