• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rodney Adams, WR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Looks like he's on board.

rodney adams â€@adamsrodney7 23h Can't wait to throw up those two fingersReply Retweet Retweeted

Delete

Favorite Favorited More

Embed Tweet Report Tweet Details Expand Collapse    Michael Medlin â€@mtmedlin1976 22h @adamsrodney7 Bullsnation!

Ummm...yea...that was posted on this board yesterday by winkle.....like only 12 post ahead of yours.

WGAF?  Someone asked for an indication, so rather than tell him to go back & read it, I checked for something more current, but since there was nothing new, just dropped it in.  No one earns points for being first, or for telling someone to go look it up.  Geesh.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

They better hurry if they want to enroll early. Deadline can't be far off.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

As a transfer I don't think he is technically an EE I also don't think the coaches can comment until he is enrolled.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

As a transfer I don't think he is technically an EE I also don't think the coaches can comment until he is enrolled.

You're right my question should be flipped. Adams would sign Abraham would enroll, but both can get in before NSD. IIRC the signing period starts right after new year.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

You're right my question should be flipped. Adams would sign Abraham would enroll, but both can get in before NSD. IIRC the signing period starts right after new year.

Gotcha. The signing period isn't until February. As an EE Abraham will enroll and start classes at the start of the new semester but he will not officially sign his letter of intent until signing day. However he will be treated as a member of the team so all transfer rules and team rules apply the first day he is on campus.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Gotcha. The signing period isn't until February. As an EE Abraham will enroll and start classes at the start of the new semester but he will not officially sign his letter of intent until signing day. However he will be treated as a member of the team so all transfer rules and team rules apply the first day he is on campus.

One more wrinkle with the new FAA rule. God this crap get's technical sometimes> yea I knew NSD was in Feb but I read somewhere that they had a new date for EE's so that they could be inked before starting class. Prolly makes too much sense to be true. Might have been referring to the FAA clause.

Posted: 4:34 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8, 2013

The NCAA's 'early signing period' starts ... now (UPDATED) 

Jason Getz/getz@ajc.com

5-star DeShaun Watson is Clemson's No. 1 recruit for 2014, and has signed his financial agreement with Clemson, according to his high school coach. If a recruit signs a financial-aid agreement with a college, then that college is permitted to have "unlimited communication" with that recruit until he signs a national letter-of-intent or enrolls - which is a huge advantage against other schools trying to steal him away

By Michael Carvell

LSU and Ohio State both took advantage of a new NCAA rule on Thursday allowing for a watered-down version of an “early signing period†for football recruits.

The biggest question: Why aren't more colleges doing it, too?

(They will in future years, if not this year, if not within the next week, and we’ll explain).

Last month, the NCAA stated that a prospective student-athlete (PSA) who was on track to graduate early from high school could sign a financial-aid agreement as long as the participating college establishes that the PSA is enrolled in all coursework necessary to graduate high school at the midyear point (but they don’t have to graduate early if they opt not to do so at that time).

It’s all explained HERE by NCAA bylaw expert John Infante and profiled in this ESPN article.

This is a “win win†for recruits and colleges, but more the kids.

The financial-aid agreement is not the same as a national letter-of-intent (NLI), which binds a recruit to a college after signing. The financial-aid agreement “locks the university into providing a scholarship but does nothing to commit the prospect to the university.†In other words, these kids could end up signing a binding NLI with another college in February.

So why would a college let a recruit sign a financial-aid agreement early when it’s not binding? Why not just wait until February’s signing day and make it all official with NLI and financial-aid agreement at the same time? Isn’t this too risky?

It’s very simple: There’s a big advantage here for colleges, especially with high-profile recruits. If a college gets a kid to sign a financial-aid agreement early, then the college is no longer restricted by NCAA rules for “unlimited communication†with in-person contact, home visits and phone calls/texts.

It also permits “publicity†of a recruit by a college, which LSU wasted no time in doing after signing 4-star quarterback Brandon Harris on Thursday with tweets and press releases.

Why aren’t more colleges doing it? They will. It’s just a matter of time.

Think about it. Let’s make up a scenario: You’re an elite QB recruit (who can graduate early), and you’re torn between Alaska and Alaska State, among 50 scholarship offers. Alaska tells you that they believe in you enough that you can sign an early financial-aid agreement with them, which binds them to you and pretty much prevents them from recruiting another QB in this class. That’s how committed they are to you. Alaska State, meanwhile, is not ready to do that. They tell you and your parents that this type of early signing period “is too new†and they want to wait until February to “do it all at the same time†and “make it simple for everybody.†That’s their story, anyways. Alaska State is also talking to a few other elite QB prospects at your position. What would you do? Especially when Alaska offers you this kind of deal on Aug. 1 of your senior year, thereby theoretically also “protecting†or guaranteeing your scholarship offer in case you get injured as a high school senior. It’s a no brainer for recruits.

And it’s also a no brainer for colleges with high-profile recruits, especially quarterbacks.

Let’s take a look at Georgia’s No. 1 prospect at QB, DeShaun Watson of Gainesville High School. He’s graduating early. I can’t think of one reason why Clemson wouldn’t ask him to sign a financial-aid agreement within the next week, if not today. He’s the QB they’ve wanted for three years (he committed to Clemson as a sophomore). If Watson signs off, then Clemson can “publicize†and tweet all about it, which could encourage other top offensive recruits to follow. Just as important, the NCAA’s recruiting restrictions on Watson would be lifted, giving the Tigers “unlimited communication†with the 5-star prospect – which would make it tough if not impossible for competing schools such as Auburn and Ohio State to try to steal him away at the last minute. Regarding Watson, what does he have to lose by signing a financial-aid agreement within the next hour with Clemson? Almost nothing. It “locks†Clemson into guaranteeing his football scholarship but also gives Watson the freedom to change his mind before officially signing his NLI. UPDATE: Gainesville coach Bruce Miller told the AJC on Friday evening that Watson has signed his financial-aid agreement with Clemson. “I just talked with DeShaun and everything was turned in on Thursday; it’s a done deal,†he said. (We’re still waiting on Clemson to make an official announcement or Tweet). It’s a big deal for Clemson because it permits the Tigers to have "unlimited communication" with Watson until he signs his NLI or enrolls at Clemson. In other words, if Ohio State's Urban Meyer or Auburn's Gus Malzahn drop in at Gainesville and try to have in-person meetings with Watson, then Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris can follow up each time with his own in-person visit. And meet and call Watson every day after that on an unlimited basis because Watson signed the financial-aid agreement. Taking Watson out of this (because we're only using him as an example), do you see the huge recruiting advantage it gives colleges with elite prospects? If the kid signs the financial aid with one college and then starts to sway to another school, then the first school can "camp out" at his high school or neighborhood like all the colleges did in the famous recruitment of Herschel Walker.

What about UGA QB commit Jacob Park? He’s a candidate to enroll early. UPDATE: On Friday afternoon, a UGA spokesman said he was not aware of a signing, and would look further into the matter.

Some other top prospects who could do this are a pair of QBs from Georgia, Sandy Creek’s Cole Garvin (committed to Marshall) and Pierce County’s Tyler Harris (SMU). Besides Watson, there’s another 5-star from Georgia who could do it ... linebacker Raekwon McMillan of Liberty County. But he’s still in the midst of taking official visits, although it is likely he signs as soon as he decides.

UPDATE: Sandy Creek WR Demarre Kitt, who plans to enroll early, also confirmed with the AJC that he has already signed a financial-aid agreement with Clemson.

UPDATE: Sandy Creek QB Cole Garvin, who plans to enroll early in college, told the AJC on Friday that he had already signed his financial-aid agreement with Marshall. As expected, Marshall tweeted out an announcement and congratulatory tweet to Garvin ....

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

But, but, but.. the article doesn't talk about Ironside... 

:D

Seriously though, that is an interesting development. A contract that binds the school but not the player. Wow. Wonder how it's going to play out? Will it help or hurt mid-majors like us?

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

But, but, but.. the article doesn't talk about Ironside... 

:D

Seriously though, that is an interesting development. A contract that binds the school but not the player. Wow. Wonder how it's going to play out? Will it help or hurt mid-majors like us?

It could help or hurt. 

With these bigger schools, they don't want us stealing their top recruits 2 days before signing day like we did with Giddens in 2009 and Terrence Mitchell in 2010. I'm not saying we're likely to always get those sorts of recruits (those were exceptional cases indeed), but it will hurt us when we can't talk to them nearly as much when a Jimbo Fisher or Al Golden can only be in their ears daily. 

At the same time, it can help with our own better recruits-so that if someone were to come calling for say, Porter or Flowers, we'd be able to protect ourselves and do everything in our power to keep them away from other programs. 

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

@TBTimes_Bulls: Looks like he's headed back home as expected RT “@adamsrodney7: I wonder if the USF fans will welcome me.â€