• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What Progress USF Has Made Since They Came To San Diego State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

No problem with people taking little shots at the Aztecs while I'm on this board.

You can't go to any board these days without people taking their licks. :dankk2:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

We have made a lot more progress than SDSU.

No doubt about this.

We went backwards after that season.

just giving you a hard time

Why?

bc they are now in our conference...

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Oh yeah I remember the SW texas state game. First game with a marching band.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

That was my first game ever seeing USF play live (as well as tailgating). The rain was something else that day. I remember watching the SDSU game as well.

We've come a long way since then. We jumped from I-AA to I-A, from Indy to C-USA to the Big East. We brought in Lee Roy Selmon as an AD which catapulted interest in the local community in our program. We finished 9-2 in one season with losses only to Oklahoma and Arkansas on the road, yet we didn't get a bowl invite. We peaked at #2 in the nation in 2007 before a bad call started a three game tailspin to irrelevance. We have road wins over FSU, UM, Notre Dame, Auburn, WVU as well as multiple bowl wins.

We've only had one coaching change. When our first player got selected as a free agent with the Washington Redskins (LaFann Williams), the NFL opened it's arms to USF football. Since then, we've placed multiple players in the NFL and have had a Pro Bowl player representing USF in the Pro Bowl. We also have former players sporting multiple Super Bowl rings.

It's been a great ride at times... very humbling through the low points... and the changing landscape is so unclear ahead of us, we have no idea what lies in front of us. One thing for sure... this season is a must win season. We have a four year starting QB. We have a rivalry game with FSU at home, the same FSU we beat in Tally with our current QB who was a frosh making his debut. We can't afford to lay an egg... nor can we afford to not have double digits wins in a weakened conference. If there was ever a chance for USF to make a statement, it's this year (God I hate saying that). My gut says we have the talent to win, unfortunately reality states our coaching staff is too conservative to get it done (and I hope I'm wrong). But I believe that's an honest assessment of the state of affairs in USF football.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I attended the USF- sdsu game, and consider it to be in my top 5 for road trip weekends, more for the beautiful city and first 1-a opponent then the game itself. We stayed at the team hotel, the Marriott right on the water by a marina, great spot. First real alumni cocktail party friday night and tailgate party on saturday on the road and lots of USF spirit by our traveling fans. It was also the start to my annual or biannual road trip weekend that I have done each year since.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

If I remember correctly SDSU was the first 1-A opponent we ever played. I suspect that the next time we go out to SDSU the outcome might be a bit different. I'm hoping that we ahve a much better year this year than last. More experience on both sides of the line and we addressed a few depth issues, the lack of secondary depth last year (and bad scheming) caused them to wear down in the fourth quarter. I think that is the primary reason we blew so many late leads, the defense just wore out because the starters couldn't get rest during the game.

The following week was against West Texas and talk about a difference in weather. It was nice in SD but here at home I remeber seeing the "Waterfall" in RJS. The stairs looked like a set of white water rapids and the North East upper level must have had a drain pipe clogged or the tarp was set wrong because water was going over the wall and crashing down on the seats below. I think that was the worst rainstorm we have had at a football game.

Wow, does that make me sound old or what?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

I remember that downpour as well. What a mess. I was out there too! Nuts.