• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls football team becoming rock stars in the classroom

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Winning records on the field are more impressive than academic records off of it... Just sayin'.

Sorry I'm not so enthusiastically celebrating a feel good story reflecting the great grades of students majoring in criminology and I.S.S. fields. Maybe if they spent more time watching game film, we wouldn't be an after thought when it comes to conference realignment. Let's be honest, it's not like USF is Harvard as much as I love the Green and Gold.

Seeing as absolutely no one has said anything remotely inferring anything of the like, what is the point of taking the time to type this?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Winning records on the field are more impressive than academic records off of it... Just sayin'.

Sorry I'm not so enthusiastically celebrating a feel good story reflecting the great grades of students majoring in criminology and I.S.S. fields. Maybe if they spent more time watching game film, we wouldn't be an after thought when it comes to conference realignment. Let's be honest, it's not like USF is Harvard as much as I love the Green and Gold.

Seeing as absolutely no one has said anything remotely inferring anything of the like, what is the point of taking the time to type this?

Because he loves being:

debbie-downer.jpg

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

No... because our record was altrocious and we gave away multiple games in the 4th quarter. That's not Debbie Downer... that's Captain Obvious. Skip's job is to win games. A teacher's job is to educate the football players. Seems like one side of the equation appears to be working. Crediting Skip with the team GPA increasing is like crediting a history professor for a team winning a Big East championship. No correlation.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

No... because our record was altrocious and we gave away multiple games in the 4th quarter. That's not Debbie Downer... that's Captain Obvious. Skip's job is to win games. A teacher's job is to educate the football players. Seems like one side of the equation appears to be working. Crediting Skip with the team GPA increasing is like crediting a history professor for a team winning a Big East championship. No correlation.

And that has been gone over time and time again on threads about how the team did ON the football field. This thread isn't, or wasn't, about that .... Captain Oblivious fits better than Debbie Downer.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Students can make good grades without playing football, but they can't play football without (somewhat) good grades. The bar is being raised in the classroom and that's a good thing for those students and our university, no matter how you slice it.

If you want to feel like a big man and denigrate this accomplishment based on the coursework of athletes and minimum GPAs that are allowed, go ahead, but most people see those that do for what they are, and they see this accomplishment for what it is.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

facepalm.jpg

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Better than Captain Hindsight

The kids are recruited to play football. Scholarships are performance based as long as they keep the minimum GPA. Charlie Strong isn't going to blitz BJ less because he maintained a 3.2 GPA vice a 2.45 GPA. Is it nice that Skip is recruiting smarter athletes? Sure. It's also nice as an alum to have a New Year's destination because your football team is winning. I guess our GPA can only get better when admissions still denies certain recruits that USF thought they had in the bag. Maybe I should blame them for our team's sub-par performance. How many players have they denied that met NCAA eligibility requirements?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Can we have one thread focusing on the positive without the idiots coming out of the woodwork? We really have to bash the fact that students are actually performing well as students?

Don't drag down Holtz just because you would no longer qualify to be a football player here.

I'm 37 years old DataBull. I doubt I would qualify to play much of anywhere. Academically though... that would not have been an issue. Just sayin'.

I could imagine the headline now from 2000... 'Bench Warmer Terry Lucas Helps Raise the Team GPA... Bulls Finish 7-4'. Too bad blogs and message boards weren't around as much then... would have made for some fun times.

Archived