• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Fitch & BJ Daniels

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Just read this article by Andrea Adelson @ espn.com about offensive coordinators and their qbs. Most of the article revolves around USF, specifically Todd Fitch and Bj Daniels, so I am posting it here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/31675/offensive-coordinators-and-their-qbs

The quarterback coach position has grown so much so in the last 10 years, that nearly every school in the country now has one.

The question then becomes whether it is best to have your offensive coordinator also serve as quarterbacks coach. USF has moved in that direction this spring, with Todd Fitch taking over quarterback responsibilities. Three other teams in the Big East also have offensive coordinators that serve as quarterbacks coach -- Mike Bajakian at Cincinnati, Shawn Watson at Louisville and Nathaniel Hackett at Syracuse.

Rutgers assistant Frank Cignetti handled both positions last season, but those duties have now been split under new coach Kyle Flood.

Each head coach makes his own choices on these matters, and it really just seems to be a matter of preference and comfort level. Fitch, for example, had worked with the quarterbacks while he served as offensive coordinator at East Carolina for three seasons. When he came to USF as offensive coordinator, he initially worked with the running backs before making the switch this offseason.

"There's no doubt that when you sit in that meeting room, and you are talking through a scenario or a play or whatever it may be, you have immediate feedback from the quarterback," Fitch said in a phone interview. "You can get a read on him in the meeting room, then see what happens on the practice field. There's no doubt that day-to-day feedback and his reactions will give us a better feel for what he feels comfortable doing. You can ask a player and he'll say, 'I'm good with that coach,' and maybe he doesn't want to admit I don't like that one as much as the other one. When you're in those learning environments, it absolutely helps to be around."

Watson served as quarterbacks coach for the Cardinals before being promoted to offensive coordinator. His close relationship with Teddy Bridgewater has helped in the development of the quarterback.

"He is one of the best players I've ever had the privilege to coach," Watson said earlier this spring. "This guy really gets it easy. He's not a finished product. He has a lot of things to improve on. But he gets it. He works, he's a relentless worker. Can he do it? I think he can be a great player if he continues to push himself. The one area he needs to is grasping the entire offense."

USF quarterback B.J. Daniels is close with Fitch as well.

"I can go in and sit down and eat lunch, talk about school, talk about life," Daniels said. "It will be fun to hear things from Coach Fitch's mouth because he's the one calling the plays. I don't think it will be too much of a difference. I improved a lot last year under coach (Peter Vaas). Right now, I'm excited to see how Coach Fitch helps me out, and looking forward to improving under him."

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Just for grins, what do you think BJ's biggest improvement was?

What improvements do you expect this year?

For me, I think first was his decisions on throwing was much improved.

Which leads to this year, he absolutely MUST be more accurate. I would also like to see a better understanding of defenses and reading blitzes.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Reducing turnovers ... could a been play calling tho

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Which leads to this year, he absolutely MUST be more accurate. I would also like to see a better understanding of defenses and reading blitzes.

Accuracy, reading blitzes and route progressions. Wonder if he has freedom to check out of a play and audible at the line?

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

My top three improvements for BJ for next season.

1. Reading the Blitz

2. Read Progression

3. Deep Ball Accuracy

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Better control of the ball and decision making.

I think with the talent we have at wr, I expect to see higher completion percentage and more confidence with the offensive scheme.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there will not be much improvement with bj

holtz will look back on his time at usf and realize not bringing in a qb was a major mistake

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Just win

Archived