• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dawsey Interviews For N.C. State Post

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

tbologo80x60.jpg

Dawsey Interviews For N.C. State Post

By BRETT McMURPHY

TAMPA - South Florida may be seeking a wide receivers coach for a second consecutive season if North Carolina State lures Lawrence Dawsey from USF.

Dawsey interviewed for the Wolfpack's vacant wide receivers position Thursday, N.C. State sources said. It's unknown if Dawsey was offered the job.

Wolfpack football coach Chuck Amato asked for - and received - permission to talk with Dawsey from USF coach Jim Leavitt.

Dawsey did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

No hirings are expected to be announced this week, N.C. State sources said.

Besides having to replace receivers coach Doc Holliday, who went to Florida in December, the Wolfpack also are seeking a defensive coordinator.

Amato and Dawsey have known each other for nearly 20 years since they were at Florida State. Amato was an assistant at FSU when Dawsey played wide receiver from 1987 to 1990, earning All- American honors in 1990 as a senior.

Dawsey finished his FSU career with 128 receptions for 2,129 yards, including 65 catches for 999 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior.

In 1991 Dawsey was a third-round draft pick of the Bucs and was named Sports Illustrated's Rookie of the Year. Dawsey spent seven seasons in the NFL - with the Bucs (1991-95), New York Giants (1996) and New Orleans (1999).

After his playing career, he was a high school assistant at Tampa Catholic (1998) and Blake (2002) before spending 2003 as a graduate administrative assistant at national champion LSU.

Dawsey was hired last March at USF to replace Tom Pajic, who went to Bloomsburg (Pa.) University after four seasons at USF.

Story Link

Seemingly a hot commodity now...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Hope he stays, we had a lot of dropped balls last year but we had a group of young recievers, and it was his first year as a coach at this level.  I think he can bring a lot to this team.  Not only in coaching, but he presence was largely evident during recruiting.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

He sees the potetial of our offense. That's why he is bolting. With the OC we have, it's a no brainer. When will we all wise up! You can't win with HS plays!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I'd be somewhat surprised to see Dawsey take the job since he just signed his first recruiting class and I'm sure he would like to at least stay through our first year in the Big East. BUT, money usually talks and he'd make a lot more at N. C. State.

Recently, he seemed to spurn any suggestion about going to FSU to coach which would probably have been an even more attractive and better opportunity for him.

Flashback:

"I've got a great group of young kids to work with," he said. "They've got a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to working with them again."

The Florida State alum has heard his name as a popular choice to join Bobby Bowden's staff in Tallahassee, but he wants to put that rumor to rest.

"There's nothing to that," he said. "Fans are disappointed in how things are going on the offense up there. I've been here in Tampa ever since I got drafted by the Bucs. This is home."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/01/Sports/Dawsey_more_excited_w.shtml

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Howie - as I eluded to over that last few months....this has been in the works for a while.  He was being considerate and not making it public until after signing day.

He was 50/50 when we had our debate about it in November and after and he's probably leaning a litte more to NC State right now.

You can't always believe everything you read in the newspaper.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Money's got to be 25-50% more.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I know that on January 26th the St Pete Times mentioned the possibility of Dawsey going to N C State:

POPULAR MAN: Receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey continues to draw speculation about leaving. He first was linked with his alma mater, Florida State. Now with national signing day a week away, he has been tabbed a candidate to join former Seminoles coach Chuck Amato at North Carolina State. Four years ago, Amato hired Bulls offensive coordinator Mike Canales, now at Arizona, to run the Wolfpack offense.

But as with the FSU rumors, Dawsey was quick to end any talk of him leaving USF.

"I have no plans to go anywhere," Dawsey said Tuesday. "I don't know anything about (N.C. State). I know this time of year, people like to say you're going here or going there. I'm staying right here."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/26/Sports/Football_recruits_fou.shtml

I understand that he wouldn't want to rock the boat during recruiting, but usually a coach who plans on leaving wouldn't say, "I'm staying right here."

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

with the stud QB's and some great WR and a chance to dominate the BE. a pay hike cannot be far off for this coach at usf.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I imagine we will constantly run into this from the bigger schools. We are doing good to compete with schools to keep the head coaches salary decent. It's gotta be a lot harder to keep position and assistannt coaches. Especially since Dawsey appears to be a good recruiter.