• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumor: Navy in BE in 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Well there is a couple ways they could do this. They would just have to know who the members are by the time they go into negotiations. You could negotiate the Championship game at the beginning......you would negotiate the 2013 and 2014 seasons without a Championship game and then start the 2015 season with it.

However, I think one other rule comes into play. If I recall correctly, the NCAA rule to name a champion in any conference .....requires that you either HAVE to get to 12 or more teams and can split into divisions with a Championship game.....OR if 11 or less.....you HAVE to play round robin where you play every other member. Meaning with 10 members you would have 9 conference games and with 11 you would have 10 conference games.

I think that last scenario with 11 teams for 2013 and 2014 is highly unlikely.

It causes me to speculate that the BE will get to 12 by 2013......and then go to 14 in 2015. I still think Villanova is trying to work an angle to join/upgrade with Navy. I tend to think if Nova can be included....then they might reconsider their opposition to Temple. I would also think you would see one more Western team, like say a Fresno State as a Football only.

All speculation obviously.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

2015 is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. They join the season after Pitt and Cuse leave. Works out pretty well.

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

2015 is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. They join the season after Pitt and Cuse leave. Works out pretty well.

It's my understanding that SU and Pitt leave after the '13 season, meaning in 2014 that we only have 10 teams, still no NAVY. If I am correct, how can the conference go from a poss champ game in '13 to none in '14 to one in '15 and beyond?

Not being antagonistic, just need clarification.

Well Pitt and SU are another variable. Technically, Pitt and SU are supposed to play in the BE for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. You wouldn't have them in 2014 and Navy will come in 2015.

But if WVU does wiggle out by paying money.....let's say this $24 million dollar figure is legit.....will Pitt and SU then try to use that same precedent to get out one year earlier? Will they then sue in order to pay .....say $12 million to get out one season later than WVU?

So hypothetically, the conference may already have 12 teams set for 2013.....but I would not rely much on Pitt and SU being there.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Said it before, I just wish we'd have 10 members, 9 conf games, 3 ooc .... It will give us a more accurate conference champion. If we had a conference championship game, it wouldn't be near what the major BCS conferences are like, even the ACC one

Said it before, I just wish we'd have 10 members, 9 conf games, 3 ooc .... It will give us a more accurate conference champion. If we had a conference championship game, it wouldn't be near what the major BCS conferences are like, even the ACC one

That sounds good trip but it will be physically impossible once Navy joins in 2015. You would have 11 members.....who would then have to play a 10 game conference schedule and I don't think Navy plans on not playing Notre Dame, Army or AFA every season.

Thus I am pretty sure it has been promised to Navy that we will all play 8 conference games and have at least a 12 team league with a Championship game.

I do agree the Championship game at Yankee Stadium that Marinatto seems intent on sounds like a real bad idea.

How many people would attend the game in NYC if the Championship game were with say USF versus SDSU? No one would attend.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

That sounds good trip but it will be physically impossible once Navy joins in 2015. You would have 11 members.....who would then have to play a 10 game conference schedule and I don't think Navy plans on not playing Notre Dame, Army or AFA every season.

The BE would then need to send Mr Hitt a letter that begins with "We're sorry to inform you that a mistake has been made ....."

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Thus I am pretty sure it has been promised to Navy that we will all play 8 conference games and have at least a 12 team league with a Championship game.

I do agree the Championship game at Yankee Stadium that Marinatto seems intent on sounds like a real bad idea.

How many people would attend the game in NYC if the Championship game were with say USF versus SDSU? No one would attend.

Yankee Stadium ? LOL How dumb. Look at the ACC and how bad their championship game was until they moved it to the heart of their conference and even then it wasn't a great event. By far the best way is have it played at the highest ranked team of the two teams. At least you get(hopefully) a full stadium and lots of hype. Sure it may seem unfair to the away team but my answer to that is "You should have been ranked higher".

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

• Content Count:  2,994

The BE would then need to send Mr Hitt a letter that begins with "We're sorry to inform you that a mistake has been made ....."

I prefer the, "It's not you, it's us."

and tape the key to the front door inside the card.

Archived