• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DarkSide failed today!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Perhaps I have created this confusion..let me clear things up:

A loss is a loss.

A win is a win.

We are getting lulled into thinking that a loss is a win.

If Seth was a victim of high expectations, perhaps McCullum is a victim of low expectations?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

exact opposite... Mac is also a victim of too high expectations... just not in the same manner...

All of the dark siders think we should be seeing incredible results immediately, rather than giving Mac time to put his system in place and recruit players for that system.  

No one is saying a loss is a win, what we are saying is that we need to examine our play and watch for improvement.  This isn't a 2 year process (which even that is too much for some here), it is a 4-5 year process and to think we should already be unbeatable by teams of equal talent is absurd.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

We are getting lulled into thinking that a loss is a win.

If Seth was a victim of high expectations, perhaps McCullum is a victim of low expectations?

Perhaps it's the other way around...

Seth finished his second year with an USF career record of 25-32, including 9 total conference wins.

In Seth's third year he was 14-14, with 6 conference wins

Many will not tolerate that type of performance in McCullum's third year (despite the increase in competition of the BE) - I clearly sense that.  He's nearly there this year - and it is not good enough.

McCullum is curently 17-32, with 4 conference wins.

Both had to deal with adversity in their respective first seasons at USF.  When Pashcal resigned - optimism abounded that Seth would take us to the promised land.  What was that optimism based on?  Why not the same optimism for McCullum?

We talk about McCullum's early (and only) recruiting...does anyone remember Federico Peruzzo and Alberto Buzzavo?  Seth did not land a top recruit - the much maligned B.B. Waldon - until his third season.  And have we forgetten about the guys that left Seth's program?  George Reese for one - whom I remember going on to play for Ohio State in some pretty big games - not to mention the ones that went on to Saint Leo and elsewhere.

In his early years at USF, Seth received no where near the criticism that McCullum has received.  But you know what?  We call Seth "Seth" and McCullum "McCullum" or "RMC".  I think even Therapist Joe from Blind Date could figure that out.  Many, including myself (and certainly The Sheriff), had a good relationship with Seth and admired the man.

No one wants to repeat history (the seven years of Seth), but it is a point of comparison.  Seth did good things for USF and not-so-good things.  The previous coach is always a measuring stick.  And if that is the case - we ALL should be as patient with the new coach as we were with the old - especially those that harken back to the "good old days" of Seth.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

We are getting lulled into thinking that a loss is a win. If Seth was a victim of high expectations, perhaps McCullum is a victim of low expectations?

Not low expectations but reasonable ones. We lost to L'ville last year by 45 points. This year we played a helluvalot better...........

I'm not sure how many ways to say it but it's not about wins and losses at this juncture. It's about laying a foundation to build upon and to improve each year. We've improved this year but whether that shows up in the wins totals that some of you expect is another story ...

This was written before I saw Vg and Brad's responses. Didn't mean to be redundant but it's obvious some of the numbskulls need to be banged over the head repeatedly .........

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Nice post Bulliever.  I agree that Seth's leash was much longer than McCullum's. Anyway since I was M.I.A. in regards to a computer since Thursday I'd like to say the SLU loss cracked my foundation in having a "rock solid" feeling that CRM will get this team rebuilt.  For whatever reason this team played so poorly vs. SLU, it was pretty much inexcusable to be so flat when you are trying to turn a team around.

And as for the UL loss, I'm glad they played tuff but come on, our Bulls just don't have the horses to run that race.  Nobody should expect a win.  Hope...yes but not expect.  If history is an indicator, our Bulls only have a team like that every7-8 yrs, which appears to be the rebuilding cycle of our men's BB team.  So buckle up and enjoy the ride.  Hopefully the wagon will get new shock absorbers real soon.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Bulliever,

I think it is just a cullmination of so many years of not making the dance that many folks patients have worn thin.  I for one don't harken back to the good old days of Seth but now you will see how old I am, I harken back to the good old days of Bobby Pascual.  Since we went to the Metro back in 91-92 we have only had two winning seasons in conference play.  I hate to say it but I would almost rather stay in C-USA for BB and be competitive then go to the BE and get drilled.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

I for one don't harken back to the good old days of Seth but now you will see how old I am, I harken back to the good old days of Bobby Pascual.

Same here dabull80 - I remember the good old days as the NCAA appearances, but I did not want to make youth and it's close associates, inexperience and impatience, an offshoot of the main topic.  I too, remember the "real" good old days!  

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Perhaps it's the other way around...

Seth finished his second year with an USF career record of 25-32, including 9 total conference wins.

In Seth's third year he was 14-14, with 6 conference wins

Many will not tolerate that type of performance in McCullum's third year (despite the increase in competition of the BE) - I clearly sense that.  He's nearly there this year - and it is not good enough.

McCullum is curently 17-32, with 4 conference wins.

Both had to deal with adversity in their respective first seasons at USF.  When Pashcal resigned - optimism abounded that Seth would take us to the promised land.  What was that optimism based on?  Why not the same optimism for McCullum?

We talk about McCullum's early (and only) recruiting...does anyone remember Federico Peruzzo and Alberto Buzzavo?  Seth did not land a top recruit - the much maligned B.B. Waldon - until his third season.  And have we forgetten about the guys that left Seth's program?  George Reese for one - whom I remember going on to play for Ohio State in some pretty big games - not to mention the ones that went on to Saint Leo and elsewhere.

In his early years at USF, Seth received no where near the criticism that McCullum has received.  But you know what?  We call Seth "Seth" and McCullum "McCullum" or "RMC".  I think even Therapist Joe from Blind Date could figure that out.  Many, including myself (and certainly The Sheriff), had a good relationship with Seth and admired the man.

No one wants to repeat history (the seven years of Seth), but it is a point of comparison.  Seth did good things for USF and not-so-good things.  The previous coach is always a measuring stick.  And if that is the case - we ALL should be as patient with the new coach as we were with the old - especially those that harken back to the "good old days" of Seth.

It's pretty simple: That optimism was based on Seth actually having proven that he could take a team to the NCAA's and put players in the NBA.  RMC has not done either of the above.  

BTW if RMC goes .500 in his third year I promise to shut my yapper about the guy forever.  I think we all know, however that that aint gonna happen.   I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.  Anyone else?

By put your money where your mouth is... does that mean you are going to give extra money to USF athletics?

gambling doesn't help the situation... donate that money to USF and maybe others follow suit and you might get the big name coach you desire down the road sometime.

It's pretty simple: That optimism was based on Seth actually having proven that he could take a team to the NCAA's and put players in the NBA.  RMC has not done either of the above.  

BTW if RMC goes .500 in his third year I promise to shut my yapper about the guy forever.  I think we all know, however that that aint gonna happen.   I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.  Anyone else?

For more evidence that Mac knows how to "build a program" for long term success.. look at his tenure at WMU...

first 2 seasons were rough, then he built a solid team...

that went to the tourney in 2004... He built the team so good that it could survive the transition to a new coach.

I know you'll ignore that and say it wasn't him coaching the team...  as if they wouldn't have went to the dance if he remained their coach... His assistant coach took over and kept the same exact coaching philosopy.

He has proven his system works... given the time.  

As long as we give him the time... he'll prove it all over again.