• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DarkSide failed today!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

The NCAA does not release their actual RPI Triple, you obviously don't have a clue.

The site you referenced says the following:

So he even admits it's only an approximation.

The site I referenced is the closest predictor of the official rpi (which is used as a tool by the tournament selection committee) that I know of.

I'm just going by what I read. Maybe this guy doesn't have a clue. It's not the official NCAA release but according to him, it's the same formula.

About The RPI

The Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) is a system used by the NCAA to evaluate teams for seeding and selection into the NCAA Tournament. The formula for this ranking system is published by the NCAA, and I've used it to generate the RPI ratings listed on this site.

http://teamrankings.com/ncb/rpidescription.php3

I guess my question is why is that other site supposedly more accurate than this guy?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

The general formula is published, however there are small variations that are carefully kept secret by the NCAA (I suppose, to keep people from jobbing the system.) Also, this year there have been modifications related to home/road/neutral site games. This is to reward teams who play a lot of games away from home, and penalize teams who play most of their games at home. In the past, the selection committee has used this information to select teams who play better on the road, since 99% of the NCAA games are road games. This year is the first time they have tried to quantify that by integrating it into the official rpi.

The fact that this guy's rpi varys so far from the other one makes me wonder if he is really taking any of these variations into account, or if he's just going by the published formula. I do know that Jerry Palm from the other site I mentioned makes every effort to closely mimic the real thing and communicates with the NCAA to glean whatever information might help in that regard.

The general formula is published, however there are small variations that are carefully kept secret by the NCAA (I suppose, to keep people from jobbing the system.) Also, this year there have been modifications related to home/road/neutral site games. This is to reward teams who play a lot of games away from home, and penalize teams who play most of their games at home. In the past, the selection committee has used this information to select teams who play better on the road, since 99% of the NCAA games are road games. This year is the first time they have tried to quantify that by integrating it into the official rpi.

The fact that this guy's rpi varys so far from the other one makes me wonder if he is really taking any of these variations into account, or if he's just going by the published formula. I do know that Jerry Palm from the other site I mentioned makes every effort to closely mimic the real thing and communicates with the NCAA to glean whatever information might help in that regard.

Have you got a link to the part of the NCAA site where all this RPI stuff is? Seems confusing as heck ............

Guest Turkey Shizzler

RPi has its flaws for sure, but it matters because the ncaa selection committee uses it.

markeymark thanks for the information about the changes incorporated for this year.

the guy who does collegerpi.com is the very reputable jerry palm. his site is considered one of if not the best for mimicking rpi and he has a great football site collegebcs.com as well.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

The bottomline is that NONE of those florida teams including us is going to the dance so the rpi is irrelevant

Now if you really believe that FAMU a team that is BELOW Bethune Cookman in the MEAC standings and we drilled by 25 points is better than the Bulls.

or that FAU and JU which are 1.5 games ahead of Stetson in the ASUN and we drilled by 28 points are better than the Bulls then i dont know what to say.

If USF was in the MEAC or ASUN with its current team they would be in the top or top 2 in conference.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

well of course it is lower... we have less wins... but that doesn't mean we are not improving.

Velcro, don't take it personal but that really sounds funny.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

doesn't matter how funny it sounds... it is true.

We have less wins than we have had in the past... but less wins doesn't mean we are playing bad... we are improving on the court.  Recruiting needs to get better, of course, and as it does, play will continue to improve.

RPI is only based on W/L totals... we could move to the a-sun and go undefeated in-conference and get our tourney birth... but that doesn't mean we are better than we are now... it would be the same team.  The dark siders would be all happy that we got to the NCAA's, but that wouldn't be very impressive.  

Getting to .500 in the new big east (conference play) is going to take a lot of work, but i think we can do it.  It is a much tougher task than getting to the NCAA in some garbage conference.  Heck, our best conference record in the old cusa was 9-7, and that was with Reggie/BB/Tron.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

We have less wins than we have had in the past... but less wins doesn't mean we are playing bad... we are improving on the court.

Yeah, like 12 pts in the 1st half against st louis is improvement? USF only has 2 consistent players right now...when both of them are not "on" it's lights-out time.

With all the talk about McCullum's "system" and how he instills discipline and fight and a team concept, I sure thought the Bulls could overcome Leather being out and Swift having an off night.

Look - I am sure the Bulls are improving, as I would expect any coach in CUSA to be able to build a team over time. But don't you feel the sense of urgency here?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Sense of urgency?  So what is mac supposed to do other than build the system the way he was hired to build it?  When he was hired, he had his philosophy... we knew it (beastie and a couple others were very opposed to it), but that is what we have to go by... a slow moving patient system.  

How can he run his system with a sense of urgency?  doesn't urgency go against building a solid foundation?

We aren't going to be a great team overnight... and recruiting rankings aren't going to go through the roof overnight.  If you don't want to be patient... don't, but you'll just be ripping your own hair out every time we lose a game or if we don't beat someone bad enough on a single given night.

I agree the 12 pt first half sucked... and that was one game, and we made big adjustments and came back and played great in the 2nd half, but the gap was too wide.  If it was the other way around, that would have sucked more... huge lead, then only scored 12 pts in the 2nd half... but that isn't what happens with our teams... they make mistakes... they aren't the most talented bunch, but they learn from those mistakes.

Yeah, like 12 pts in the 1st half against st louis is improvement?

Funny how the 12 pts in the first five minutes and only eight point loss against L'ville never come up when talking about improvement .......

But don't you feel the sense of urgency here?

NO! And I guess that's the main sticking point between the forces of good and evil.

We've seen the coach with NCAA credentials and "charisma" come in and try to do it but fail. I think Seth gave it all he had but it just wasn't enough to get THIS program over the hump.

CRM's style is obviously not a quick fix, IF it's a fix at all . That remains to be seen and not even two full years isn't enough time to fairly evaluate it ....