• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dell: Commentary | Is Skip Holtz too expensive for USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

This was bound to happen when you have a single in conference win against the perennial bottom dweller of a weakened BE conference. The excuses from the coaching staff have accelerated the questioning of the coaching staff by the fans and media. What the team does tomorrow matters not one bit to Skip Holtz being called the next Kragthorpe. Next year, however, will be do or die for this staff and the DO isn't really that impressive, i.e. be competitive in your weak BE conference. Personally, I don't want to have to don a Skippy Kragholtz paper bag at the end of next season, I would rather a paper bag be used as they were intended......as an OE 40 koozie or headgear for a butterhead :lol:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I gotta agree with Dell - we bought and paid for a Porsche Turbo and we got a Ford Fiesta. I felt last year with the transition and JLs players a 7-5 record should be expected. We saw fewer penalties(excited some people here-not me) and special teams showed improvement which was great. This year with all the players coming back and Darrell Scott for the offense and another year of experience for BJ you expected things to be better. Instead offense failed, special teams got worse and our always rock solid defense evaporated. Someone said our team had no identity and I agree because we always had a very good defense but not so much now. Give me those personal fouls for late hits and the old D back then you would see an identiy.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

He needs at least one more year to show drastic improvement. To me, the tell tale sign of where this program is headed will be what Holtz does to address the coaching weaknesses on his staff in this off season. What will be done to address the special teams problems? What will be done to address the offense?

Please, BJ is not the problem here. When allowed to do what he does best this team has played well enough to win. Don't get me wrong, he isn't the next coming of Joe Montana or Peyton Manning, but he is a good enough college QB to run a well designed offense. I think a lot of people around here watch pro football, see classic drop back, pocket passers and try to compare BJ to that. Our offense is different than that.

After Griffin got hurt, this offense was hampered again by having no veteran true receivers. I think we also got set back when Mitchell went out because he was beginning to emerge as a game changing, somewhat reliable receiver.

One of the problems I see is that the OC does very little with play calling in key situations to help BJ out. We seem to abandon the run when it seems to be working, our young receivers have run poor routes at key times and we seem to limit our options.

BJ was good enough to bring us back in the lead or put us in a position to win the game at least a few times late in the game. At some point the D and special teams have to play their part as well and hold leads or don't do anything stupid to put us in bad situations. these are the type of things that are the coaches. This is where we need to begin to see if Holtz is truly worth what we are paying him. it starts with the changes that need to be addressed.

• Content Count:  7,201

I am so sick of hearing about injuries. They happen, to every team, every year. We have used that fricken excuse for 7 years.

It is the coaches responsibility to recruit, to create depth, and to coach the players whether they are first, second, or third string.

EVERY team in the NCAA has had injuries to key starters. We are not alone.

Holtz is the leader. It is his responsibilty to right the ship. I say he gets one more season, but that is it. Get us in the right direction and you stay. Underperform, and it is time to go.

He needs to show he is a leader with teeth and make some off season coaching staff adjustments. I'd start with Special Teams and DB's.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I am so sick of hearing about injuries. They happen, to every team, every year. We have used that fricken excuse for 7 years.

?

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I do not feel Skip should be fired this year and I also have no fear another school is going to come in and swoop him from usf

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

It'd be nice if writers for established publications were above message board whiner status .... This is a converstion you have after 3, probably 4 years, not 2. Dell has been going down hill.

the Bradenton Herald is the joke of Tampa Bay newspapers. it is not credible. it's poorly edited, poorly staffed, poorly written and there are frequently errors and just downright spelling mistakes. living in Bradenton i can say that i've never met a SINGLE individual who respects our newspaper. it is a joke. SPT is the real newspaper down here. the Bradenton Herald is only good for reading about who got shot, who got busted selling drugs, or when the latest mundane local event is taking place. serious coverage is not to be found.

Allan Dell is an example of the low caliber of writing at the BH.

?

Talking about fans of USF about our mid season collapse (ie Big East losses).

Every year, same thing on this board. We have so and so injured. Well that happens to all teams, all the time. You have to deal with that. It should never be used as an excuse.

Archived