• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJL Sighting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

CJL makes an excellent assistant. just wasn't HC material. wish him the best in San Fran.

the similarities between JoePa and Leavitt aren't just superficial. one of the biggest problems with Leavitt was that he rarely hired from the outside, always shifting the same personnel within his circle to different positions and promoting from within. USF was all about Leavitt just like PSU was all about JoePa, and i'm not sure that's always a healthy thing. CJL was also a stonewaller; outsiders never got any glimpse of what was happening inside the program. he treated the media with contempt and, apparently, also treated some of his players as such. don't forget, the poorly redacted findings showed multiple players weren't happy with Leavitt's treatment of the team as well. the lockerroom was split. i've been critical of Skip, but none of the above-mentioned criticisms of CJL are applicable to CSH.

also, to compare a player getting tackled on the field by opponents while wearing full gear to getting chokeslapped by a coach in the lockerroom is absurd. even in full pads on the football field, chokeslapping would be penalized and would possibly warrant an ejection and/or suspension.

as bad as this season may seem right now, the worst we can do is 5-7 while playing in a BCS conference. CJL went 4-7 playing in C-USA.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Video posted on the 49ers site...CJL looks pretty happy w/ the 49ers and on west coast...

http://www.49ers.com...3b-2da46fbf74b9

He's 8-1, might just get a Super Bowl his first year. That would be very cool.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

CJL makes an excellent assistant. just wasn't HC material. wish him the best in San Fran.

the similarities between JoePa and Leavitt aren't just superficial. one of the biggest problems with Leavitt was that he rarely hired from the outside, always shifting the same personnel within his circle to different positions and promoting from within. USF was all about Leavitt just like PSU was all about JoePa, and i'm not sure that's always a healthy thing. CJL was also a stonewaller; outsiders never got any glimpse of what was happening inside the program. he treated the media with contempt and, apparently, also treated some of his players as such. don't forget, the poorly redacted findings showed multiple players weren't happy with Leavitt's treatment of the team as well. the lockerroom was split. i've been critical of Skip, but none of the above-mentioned criticisms of CJL are applicable to CSH.

also, to compare a player getting tackled on the field by opponents while wearing full gear to getting chokeslapped by a coach in the lockerroom is absurd. even in full pads on the football field, chokeslapping would be penalized and would possibly warrant an ejection and/or suspension.

as bad as this season may seem right now, the worst we can do is 5-7 while playing in a BCS conference. CJL went 4-7 playing in C-USA.

Generally agree with everything you posted but this. We went 4-7 with upperclassmen all recruited while we were still 1-AA and redshirting a bunch of guys to play in the big east the next year. It was not a great coaching job in 2004, but to compare that with what happened in 4 of the last 5 games is just off base. CJL had 2 losing seasons ever, the first one and in 2004. While moving up from nonexistent to 1-AA to 1A to CUSA to the BE. Never got over the hump but being at least average while moving up that quickly was not bad.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Generally agree with everything you posted but this. We went 4-7 with upperclassmen all recruited while we were still 1-AA and redshirting a bunch of guys to play in the big east the next year. It was not a great coaching job in 2004, but to compare that with what happened in 4 of the last 5 games is just off base. CJL had 2 losing seasons ever, the first one and in 2004. While moving up from nonexistent to 1-AA to 1A to CUSA to the BE. Never got over the hump but being at least average while moving up that quickly was not bad.

Yeah, I think that's what some don't realize? Getting to that level in a BCS environment in that amount of time has never been done before.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Video posted on the 49ers site...CJL looks pretty happy w/ the 49ers and on west coast...

Great find Larry. That was the best I've ever seen him in an interview. And never knew he was so close to a doctorate. Still seems to have the passion but, yet, a little more "mature" or maybe "reserved".

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Great find Larry. That was the best I've ever seen him in an interview. And never knew he was so close to a doctorate. Still seems to have the passion but, yet, a little more "mature" or maybe "reserved".

I think being exposed to other coaches, especially one who seems to be a real winner in Harbaugh, has to help anyone. He was cloistered here for a long time and a little fresh air always helps.

• Content Count:  183

I bet when Bill Snyder decides to retire for good, Leavitt will be at the top of their list of candidates to replace him at K-state.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

CJL Sighting

JimLeavitt.png

• Content Count:  78

Watching that video it kind of seems Coach Leavitt is trying to put his time at USF behind him. It`s odd that he doesn`t remember when we went to the Sun Bowl and when we went to the PapaJohns.com Bowl. The comment about ``lying`` when he said Florida was ``another day in paradise`` is kind of off too. I`ve lived in both (southern) California and Florida and both have their upsides and downsides. Why can`t both be paradise? Happy to see him doing well.

• Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  39

Leavitt kind of got screwed. It's nice to see him happy and having success on a respected team. By the way, that is some silky-smooth music playing behind him. If someone were to auto-tune some of his memories about USF, that would be legendary.

Archived