• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will we need another football game in 2005?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

It doesn't look good for FAMU at the moment:

Feb 4, 5:41 PM EST

Five Coaches Leave Florida A&M Staff

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Five Florida A&M assistant coaches, including the younger brother of head coach Billy Joe, resigned Friday in another troubling sign for the embattled Division I-AA program.

Offensive coordinator and receivers coach James Joe, interim defensive coordinator and secondary coach Derek Hill, running backs coach Allen Bogan, defensive line coach Herbert Moore and linebackers and special teams coach Terry Jones all left - leaving just two assistants on the staff.

No reason for the departures was announced. School officials didn't return a call seeking comment.

"I want to thank them for their years of service to the university and me, and I wish them well in all future endeavors," Billy Joe said in statement.

In December, the school declined to offer a contract extension to Billy Joe, who is 86-46 in 11 seasons. School officials have told Joe his contract could be terminated after the 2005 season.

Florida A&M's athletic budget was cut by 20 percent last year, and more cuts may come. Joe, who makes $135,000 annually, said last year he'd be willing to accept a buyout - but he was told no money was available.

University President Fred Gainous was fired Sept. 28, eight months after pulling the plug on an effort to move football to the Division I-A ranks. Also, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference stripped the university last year of 11 conference titles, including two in football, as punishment for 196 NCAA rule violations.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_FLORIDA_AM_COACHES?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we are famu's only 1a game

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

The rats are are definately jumping ship.  I don't think they're going to shut down the program, though.  They need to replace Billy Joe ASAP and get someone in there to stabilize and clean up the program.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

When the hell did Green Day's lead singer start coaching football at FAMU?   ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Our payday will probably keep their whole program afloat next year.  They are in no position to back out or not play unless they cancel football for the entire season.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Hey, just send their band. Let our band watch from the sidlines and learn!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

That whole school is dealing with financial hardship alledgedly cause by some scandal.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

The bigger question is will they have a football program after next season. This season will happen but with no other paydays (1A games) on their schedule I don’t see it happening for the 2006 season

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

How do they even get kids to sign LOI.  Did they get any players this year?