• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NEW V5: Scorched Earth

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Seems like Voodoo pretty much nailed it.

I agree... while I don't work for Athletics, I do work for USF and can tell you that this culture is the same across the University with a few exceptions... good ideas are shized on by inept management who in most cases, not all cases, but most cases has zero management experience and only has a Ph.D or Masters which does not equal a good or even decent leader.

Don't get me wrong... there are a few great units at USF but for everyone of those there are three dysfunctional units run by mini-Hitlers that squash any threats to their reign.

A friend of mine used to work for Marketing at USF and he has told me some doozies about how some of his really good ideas were tossed out and shat on... don't want to say anything else because the powers that be read the pen and I don't want to reveal my friends or my own identity.

Look at homecoming for example... now again don't get me wrong this years committee has done an awesome job thus far, much better then in years past, but you can see where 1 person in management somewhere is throwing there weight around to prevent the committee from going all out... what I'm referring to is the bon-fire ban... some nameless USF manager has put down his hoof on any fires on campus, thus ending a 50 year tradition because (a) they don't want the intramural grass to be messed up, and (B) its not environmentally friendly... give me a fing break... even UC Berkley has bon fires on campus and they are the most green / hippie college on the planet. This manager could give 2 ***** about how he is ruining tradition, and I know for a fact that he is only doing this to further his career with the upper admin over his stance on being "green".

I could go on and on but I've already said to much... there is a ton of politics in play at USF...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

This year, the Men's Soccer season tickets were $100 a piece for 10 games with a reserved seat. I imagine that the prices will go up next year, but it’ll most likely still be a great bargain. Students get in free and it’s in an OCS.  ;D

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

Reminds me of the days when a person in Athletics told me he didn't think they really needed a presence on the internet. 

There are good people there.  But there have always been points where they have come under question. Losing uncovers blemishes. 

The incident with Leavitt, in how that was handled, uncovered numerous errors in judgment yet no changes.

There is a high level of frustration among fans right now. V5's Toro, if I have their nicknames right, is a former employee in Athletics so he has a perspective guided by his personal experience good or bad.

I don't think utilizing this annual downturn in conference play is a wise time to go after the leadership when everyone should be doing their part to put the absolute best face on USF amid the challenges and opportunities related to conference realignment.  But it is what it is. 

Sent from my phone, apologies for typos

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Seems like Voodoo pretty much nailed it.

I agree... while I don't work for Athletics, I do work for USF and can tell you that this culture is the same across the University with a few exceptions... good ideas are shized on by inept management who in most cases, not all cases, but most cases has zero management experience and only has a Ph.D or Masters which does not equal a good or even decent leader.

Don't get me wrong... there are a few great units at USF but for everyone of those there are three dysfunctional units run by mini-Hitlers that squash any threats to their reign.

A friend of mine used to work for Marketing at USF and he has told me some doozies about how some of his really good ideas were tossed out and shat on... don't want to say anything else because the powers that be read the pen and I don't want to reveal my friends or my own identity.

Look at homecoming for example... now again don't get me wrong this years committee has done an awesome job thus far, much better then in years past, but you can see where 1 person in management somewhere is throwing there weight around to prevent the committee from going all out... what I'm referring to is the bon-fire ban... some nameless USF manager has put down his hoof on any fires on campus, thus ending a 50 year tradition because (a) they don't want the intramural grass to be messed up, and (B) its not environmentally friendly... give me a fing break... even UC Berkley has bon fires on campus and they are the most green / hippie college on the planet. This manager could give 2 ***** about how he is ruining tradition, and I know for a fact that he is only doing this to further his career with the upper admin over his stance on being "green".

I could go on and on but I've already said to much... there is a ton of politics in play at USF...

I've worked for several companies, large and small.  The politics is always the same everywhere.  It's easy to take it personal when it is your idea that is squashed.  Sometimes it gets squashed because of a good reason that you don't know about.  Sometimes it is squashed because if everyone spent all their time on every new idea, no real work would ever get done.  Sometimes it is squashed because a manager is an idiot.  Sometimes a manager just makes the wrong call, because someone has to make the call.

Ultimately, there are a lot of decisions made every day, some good and some bad.  You can't just take the bad stuff and ignore all the right decisions and good stuff and draw conclusions. 

As evidenced by the minute on this board, the easiest thing in the world to do is criticize someone else. 

As the great philsopher once said:

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.  Then you will be a mile away and have their shoes!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

First rate talent likes to be surrounded by first rate talent.  Second rate talent likes to be surrounded by third rate talent.

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

First rate talent likes to be surrounded by first rate talent.  Second rate talent likes to be surrounded by third rate talent.

Awesome quote right there.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I'm all for trying to get fans to learn the words to the fight song, but that whole campaign was a total joke!!!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Wish I could claim credit, but I read variations of it in some articles.  But I think it is absolutely true about most organizations and explains what V5 described.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

I am less than impressed with just about every single one of our coaches.

who is our basketball coach nowadays? are we still stuck with that Stan Heath fella?

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

+1000

I went to Google to found out who said it, and ... bupkis.

Sanjay, did you just now make that up?

Edit: Guess not, now that I see the other post. Anyway, it's a keeper!!

Archived